Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 corolla
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 96 corolla. With 188,880km or 118,000miles. And i've been told that a bottle of injector cleaner would do the car good. I've never used the product before. Just curious if anyone has used injector cleaner and how effective they think it really is.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
You'll want to do a search of the Fuel Economy forum. There have been a number of threads that have discussed fuel injector cleaners. :thumbsup:

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
I don't know about fuel economy but I did a fuel injector cleaning once a year at Wal Mart for $20 (the 2 step, not just throw a bottle in the gas tank) on my old 1998 Pontiac Sunfire with 150k, and I noticed a huge difference in the idle and acceleration. It idled a tad lower, it was quieter, and accelerated smoother and quicker. Amazing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i recc the lucas fuel injector cleaner. get the big bottle and add some to every tank of gas until the bottle is done. the one time use stuff is not too great. the lucas stuff used continuously over time works

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
I've used seafoam a lot on old cars....never had a problem.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ive used them before but duno if they made a difference. The difference is all in your head, at least for me it was. I felt like i did something good for my car and prolonged its life.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Seafoam has been available since the 1930s, hardly makes sense that it could be bad for old cars. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Any FI cleaner is a benefit, especially in an older car. A bottle of Techron concentrate, Redline SI-1, Lucas, 3m, BG44k.... will clean up your injectors, and reduce any carbon built up downstream of your injectors. Intake ports/valves get dirty quickly with generic gas.

Toptier fuel should always be considered if available and within your budget.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
basically it cleanses it. more exposure to cleansing (basically, gradual use), will make it even cleaner.

think of it as your nose. more boogers, less flow.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You've heard wrong.

Carbon deposits don't seal a cylinder. Carbon deposits cause blow-by not allowing the rings to move/sweep freely.

While at the gas station, add the full bottle of Seafoam prior to filling up. Age or mileage of vehicles makes NO difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts