Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
my light comes on with 2-3 gallons left, so assuming 29mpg your talking another 90 miles after the light comes on. The lower you go the harder you work your fuel pump though, the fuel pump is designed to deliver constant pressure to the engine, so when it gets low and starts sucking up air when the gas is sloshing around just makes it that much harder to suck up the appropriate amount of gas to deliver the pressure needed.

·
Registered
Corolla SR5
50 Posts
ghost_ryder35 said:
my light comes on with 2-3 gallons left, so assuming 29mpg your talking another 90 miles after the light comes on. The lower you go the harder you work your fuel pump though, the fuel pump is designed to deliver constant pressure to the engine, so when it gets low and starts sucking up air when the gas is sloshing around just makes it that much harder to suck up the appropriate amount of gas to deliver the pressure needed.
Nice to know someone out there heard the same as I did about fuel pump working overtime with less fuel.

I changed out a fuel pump on a 1999 Mitsubishi with 86K miles.......I could not figure out why it went out so soon. I called the dealer and they did not know of any other car burning out pump so quickly. The mechanic said if the driver only fills the tank with a 1/4 tank or less and runs it till empty every week, the pump works too aggresively.

I dunno...... but it made sense that day

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
my fuel pump is mechanical, works the same all the time HAHAHA

why do it unless your broke, I've been there. My light comes on at 1/4 tank :| drives me INSANE that it come son so early. Comes on at 1/2 tank and a little more than that when I GUN it since the fuel all moves hahah

·
TIEyota fighter ace
AE101, TE72
1,942 Posts
Seems like the fuel light comes on at highway speeds (and stays on when deaccelerating) when about 10-10.5 gallons are burned. Since the tank's 13.2, I'll usually take the current trip meter reading, divide by 10, subtract one or two, multiply by three, and alert the spouse that 'if we don't find gas in X miles, we'll be back to pushing'. Usually that works out to be about 90-100+ miles in which to find compatible gas stations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.