Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At full throttle, how rapid is the power rush..? I heard that the V6 engine is too powerful for the Camry to handle.

I heard using premium petrol will increase performance

And also the engine is understated by Toyota and that real world performance is more then what Toyota states..

·
Registered
400 Posts
At full throttle, how rapid is the power rush..? I heard that the V6 engine is too powerful for the Camry to handle.

I heard using premium petrol will increase performance

And also the engine is understated by Toyota and that real world performance is more then what Toyota states..
The same engine in my friend's Lexus IS350 makes 306 WHP (wheel horse power). Granted the tuning is different, but the engine is great.

Using premium fuel will increase performance, yes. But the engine can still run on regular 87 octane. I'm not sure what you mean by too powerful...I assume if you've never driven a car with a V6 it may be overwhelming, but it's no supercar.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,748 Posts
I heard that the V6 engine is too powerful for the Camry to handle.
*rofl* best joke of the day. LOL

I wouldn't put the V6 with the word "powerful". It can get the Camry moving much better than the I4. And V6 is best of both world, a good balance between power and gas mileage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's pretty impressive for an affordable midsize car. It can keep up with any Lexus out there (minus the LFA of course) and it could even hold its own against 6 cylinder sports cars. A 5.8 second 0-60 time is nothing to sneeze at, as far as I know that's the best 0-60 time in the mid-size class..? I've punched it in my SE V6 going about 30 and have actually gotten tire spin so it definitely brings the power. I wasn't expecting a sports car when I bought it but I wanted something that combined practical with fun. The V6 Camry does that. I avg. about 29 MPGs through 8000 miles, and I can still get on the throttle when I want to have a little fun and it will get me where I'm going in a hurry. The sound of the V6 is also nice. I've heard a lot of V6s, mostly with aftermarket exhausts, that just sound terrible (Ford's older 3.7 definitely comes to mind) but this engine sounds amazing for what it is, and for the type of car it is, it is a very underrated engine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are looking to purchase, I find that 29mpg is not typical unless you are on cruise control on the highway much of the time. driving "fun" you can get lower than 19 and closer to 22-25 typically in a mixed highway/city environment.

Regarding premium fue-- I've done the 91/89 octane, and indeed you can tell a difference... but to me it seems like it affects the rpms in a way that causes the transmission to shift at weird times or shift too hard.

A friend of mine had a chip put in to his 07 camry... I really don't know anything about it but perhaps it helped to make it more like the lexus's tuning?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
*rofl* best joke of the day. LOL

I wouldn't put the V6 with the word "powerful". It can get the Camry moving much better than the I4. And V6 is best of both world, a good balance between power and gas mileage.
Well Considering how this engine could achieve 0-60MPH in 5.8 seconds in what is a everyday sedan and no sporting pretentious what so ever, it is powerful..

Not to mention the engine is the smoothest engine out there, velvety silky smooth and unruffled operations..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Using premium fuel will increase performance, yes.
ummmm, NO! :disappoin
Premium does nothing except prevents detonations on engines that have higher compression. Camry engine does not have high compression ratio therefore does not require premium fuel.

Since you can't increase compression as you don't have a way of inducing more air into cylinders, you will not benefit from the premium gas.
If you really want to be technical about it, premium gas decreases performance on engines that are not required to use one as premium having more octanes, burns less rapidly therefore producing less force that acts upon the pistons during the detonation when the gas is ignited.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i noticed slightly slower acceleration with regular octane fuel. When I was running premium fuel I could go full throttle at 35mph and lose traction with traction control on. I was very impressed on the performance, I originally wanted the Lexus ISF but it didn't have the cargo room that I needed and the backseat was too small. Went with the camry, it's not as quiet as a Lexus but the interior and the performance is about the closest thing you'll get to a Lexus ISF in the toyota line.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Premium does nothing except prevents detonations on engines that have higher compression. Camry engine does not have high compression ratio therefore does not require premium fuel.

Since you can't increase compression as you don't have a way of inducing more air into cylinders, you will not benefit from the premium gas.
If you really want to be technical about it, premium gas decreases performance on engines that are not required to use one as premium having more octanes, burns less rapidly therefore producing less force that acts upon the pistons during the detonation when the gas is ignited.
10.8 to 1 is not considered high compression?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Camry engine does not have high compression ratio therefore does not require premium fuel.

2012 TOYOTA CAMRY SE V6

ENGINE
Front-transverse 3.5-liter/211-cid DOHC V6
Power: 268 hp @ 6,200
Torque: 248 lb-ft @ 4,700
Compression ratio: 10.8:1
Minimum Fuel requirement: 87 octane

My Nissan VQ30DE has a compression ration of 10.0:1 and the manual states "For maximum performance, the use of premium gasoline is recommended. However, if premium is unavailable, unleaded regular of at least 87 AKI can be used."

The 2012 Camry manual states "Octane Rating 87 (RON 91) or higher".

If you had a a 1970 era muscle car with at least a 10:1 compression ratio, premium gas was required.

The Toyota manual specifies the minimum octane rating. The electronic engine controls compensates for the lower octane by retarding the engine timing, thereby, reducing the engine's performance. 60's-70's era cars had no such controls. We used to advance the engine timing to just where it began to slightly knock and then back off a degree. This gave a more responsive acceleration and better fuel economy when cruising.

The use of premium gas in the 2012 Toyota V6 is currently still being hotly debated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
10.8 to 1 is not considered high compression?
compared to engines that have 14:1 and require premium? No.

2012 TOYOTA CAMRY SE V6

ENGINE
Front-transverse 3.5-liter/211-cid DOHC V6
Power: 268 hp @ 6,200
Torque: 248 lb-ft @ 4,700
Compression ratio: 10.8:1
Minimum Fuel requirement: 87 octane

My Nissan VQ30DE has a compression ration of 10.0:1 and the manual states "For maximum performance, the use of premium gasoline is recommended. However, if premium is unavailable, unleaded regular of at least 87 AKI can be used."

The 2012 Camry manual states "Octane Rating 87 (RON 91) or higher".

If you had a a 1970 era muscle car with at least a 10:1 compression ratio, premium gas was required.

The Toyota manual specifies the minimum octane rating. The electronic engine controls compensates for the lower octane by retarding the engine timing, thereby, reducing the engine's performance. 60's-70's era cars had no such controls. We used to advance the engine timing to just where it began to slightly knock and then back off a degree. This gave a more responsive acceleration and better fuel economy when cruising.

The use of premium gas in the 2012 Toyota V6 is currently still being hotly debated.
You can't compare old muscle cars from 60's and 70's that were detonating from the factory :D to the new engines with variable timings and gas injection.
The manual language you're quoting refers to "performance" in terms of engine smoothness, again in terms of preventing detonation and timing retardation.
Open a manual of a turbo car and you will see "minimum fuel requirement: 91"

Using premium has nothing to do with how much horsepower or torque your car will have. So you can forget about having any butt-dyno positive effect on premium fuel if your car doesn't call for it in the manual :thumbsup:

·
Registered
400 Posts

That's true for cars where the ECU can't be optimized for higher octane fuel. The ECU for the 2GRs can adjust between 87 and 91 octane, and DOES allow for higher performance. Look at the ES350. It's rated for 268 HP on 87 and 272 HP on 91, and it's the same engine. Those with the 2AR (4 cylinder) engine won't really benefit from premium, but those with the 2GR will.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,748 Posts
^ Same engine doesn't mean same ECU. Are Toyota and Lexus share the same ECU with the same timing table?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
compared to engines that have 14:1 and require premium? No.
There are only two engines that have a compression of 14:1 and those are the Skyactiv engines from Mazda and AFAIK, aren't even available yet. Both of those engines are low horsepower and are meant to be as fuel efficient as possible.

Turbo cars actually have a low compression ratio because of the extra boost. If you ran boost and a high compression you will blow the engine. So for turbos they need to lower the compression to keep the engines from blowing up.

The Camry's 2GR-FE is moderatly high compression ratio. Until the Skyactiv engines were introduced, the highest compression engines were in the 11:1 to 12:1 range, and those were only super high performance NA engines found it high end sports cars and super cars. As an example, the LS2 which is a very popular small block V8 that has a lot of performance has an almost identical compression ratio to the 2GR-FE. (The LS2 is 10.9:1) High compression engines are just for sports and super cars. A high compression ratio means a more efficient engine.

The performance gain with the 2GR-FE between regular and premium is not what I find is important as you really can't notice the difference. Its all a placebo if you think you can.

Where I notice the biggest difference with my V6 Camry is the greatly improved gas mileage when using Shell V-Power. I actually end up saving money running Shell V-Power vs regular.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts
About this Discussion
203 Replies
49 Participants
Men in Black
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing