Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The FSE uses two stages of fuel injection; traditional port injection for low speeds and idling, DI for high speed and cruising. This is the best way to do it commercially imo without water/meth injection as you can still get the cleaning effect of the port spraying fuel onto the back of the valves but is expensive. I do know though when I looked at the 2.5L variant in the IS (forget which GR it is) I read enough scattered cases to scare me off as this example had about 80,000 on it, couldn't find anything on the 350.

asilven2334, I was looking at a second gen Mazdaspeed3 but passed for a number of reasons. related to the practicality of it I thought they kept temps at the top of the valves pretty high on that engine to burn off anything that could form on it (which is similar to how Hyundai does it and also doesn't require EGR) and that is why I never found many reports of issues.

I also have one for Area47 or anyone else... what exactly is different between the Lotus Evora's version of this engine and Camry's? And do you know anything about how that was super charged?

·
Registered
155 Posts
And I'll bet the FE holds its own against the FSE as well. Like Someone said earlier, I Toyota understated the specs on the FE a little bit, so I don't think the FSE makes all that much more power for the money you would pay to get that engine. Plus, if it isn't as reliable as the FE, why would we want it? My SE V6 camry goes like a son of a bitch, would whip my previous Tundra's ass, and that had a 5.7l with 4:30 gears...

·
Registered
155 Posts
The FSE uses two stages of fuel injection; traditional port injection for low speeds and idling, DI for high speed and cruising. This is the best way to do it commercially imo without water/meth injection as you can still get the cleaning effect of the port spraying fuel onto the back of the valves but is expensive. I do know though when I looked at the 2.5L variant in the IS (forget which GR it is) I read enough scattered cases to scare me off as this example had about 80,000 on it, couldn't find anything on the 350.

asilven2334, I was looking at a second gen Mazdaspeed3 but passed for a number of reasons. related to the practicality of it I thought they kept temps at the top of the valves pretty high on that engine to burn off anything that could form on it (which is similar to how Hyundai does it and also doesn't require EGR) and that is why I never found many reports of issues.

I also have one for Area47 or anyone else... what exactly is different between the Lotus Evora's version of this engine and Camry's? And do you know anything about how that was super charged?
There is no difference, if you look at the Lotus Evora specs, they are the same ratings as the SE V6 Camry, but you can get the Evora with a Supercharger that makes quite a bit more power. The Evora is also a much lighter car, and the power to weight ratio is probably almost perfect so there is that..

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
And I'll bet the FE holds its own against the FSE as well. Like Someone said earlier, I Toyota understated the specs on the FE a little bit, so I don't think the FSE makes all that much more power for the money you would pay to get that engine. Plus, if it isn't as reliable as the FE, why would we want it? My SE V6 camry goes like a son of a bitch, would whip my previous Tundra's ass, and that had a 5.7l with 4:30 gears...
The FSE is slightly better, but I think the fastest 0-60 times come from AWD models, because the RWD struggles with grip on the launch unless you upgrade the tires. I would need to be sure of that though as AWD would lose some power due to the system but the extra grip may make up for it on launches. It's only a few tenths of a second though at best though either way, and I'd imagine the engine costs considerably more without checking a parts sheet. And when you get into different drive line configurations it's always hard to directly compare due to what it does to grip on launch and acceleration.

·
Registered
235 Posts
One of the main reasons why I chose the Camry V6 was because it DIDN'T have direct injection.

I'm not convinced that any of the manufacturers have solved the carbon build up problem, and even if they did, you still have that insane high pressure fuel pump. Even though I'm sure it's the future, I'm still in wait and see mode.

Regarding the FSE, 12 fuel injectors for a 6 cylinder engine? No thanks.

·
16' Camry SE & 18' Camry XSE
626 Posts
The FSE is slightly better, but I think the fastest 0-60 times come from AWD models, because the RWD struggles with grip on the launch unless you upgrade the tires. I would need to be sure of that though as AWD would lose some power due to the system but the extra grip may make up for it on launches. It's only a few tenths of a second though at best though either way, and I'd imagine the engine costs considerably more without checking a parts sheet. And when you get into different drive line configurations it's always hard to directly compare due to what it does to grip on launch and acceleration.
I have RWD is350 and I have no problems with traction at launch. Both with stock Dunlop SP Sports and with current Continental Contisport Contact? Extreme tires. I have to btaketorque to roast the tires. Somehow this car just goes from stop without slipping.

Don't know, maybe I have a bad car or I'm a crappy driver.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's right I forgot that the fse engine has 2 different types of fuel delivery. But yeah I still had a lot of my friends with the second gen mazdaspeed 3 installing catch cans cuz the bad pcv system. They still had some dirty valves.

·
Gray SE V6
43 Posts
FE vs FSE

Having extensive seat time in an is350 (mom used to have an 07) I can say the cheat is the short gearing used in the FSE cars. I think that model had like a 4.03:1 final drive or something silly like that and it showed on the highway (it was well over 2k rpm at 60). But it would launch like a scalded ape. I remember reading at club lexus that the 08 isf would struggle to show an 08 is350 its tail lights below 60mph. I bet if you shortened up a v6 camry's gear ratio like that it would do the same (especially since a v6 camry is ~300lbs lighter than an is350).

·
Rubber Ducky
849 Posts

There is nothing physically different between the evora 6 and ours. The ecu however is 100% lotus on the evora. Lotus wanted nothing to do with the toyota ecu.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There is nothing physically different between the evora 6 and ours. The ecu however is 100% lotus on the evora. Lotus wanted nothing to do with the toyota ecu.
So how difficult would it be to get lotus' ECU parameters and run them?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't know, but are you sure you'd want to replace Japanese electronics with British electronics? Lol.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't know, but are you sure you'd want to replace Japanese electronics with British electronics? Lol.
At least there are tuning options for the Lotus ECU. Its just a shame they won't work on the camry.

·
Rubber Ducky
849 Posts
Pain in the ass. Lotus did it from the ground up.

yota doesn't do all of their own programming. It is also outsourced to a firm in Michigan. Lotus also did some calibration work for GM in the early to mid 2000's

·
Registered
235 Posts
Pain in the ass. Lotus did it from the ground up.

yota doesn't do all of their own programming. It is also outsourced to a firm in Michigan. Lotus also did some calibration work for GM in the early to mid 2000's
I was half joking as we all know Britain doesn't exactly have a great reputation for electronic anything.

Oh, it's British, keep that crap the hell away from MY Camry, lol.

·
Rubber Ducky
849 Posts
I was half joking as we all know Britain doesn't exactly have a great reputation for electronic anything.

Oh, it's British, keep that crap the hell away from MY Camry, lol.
MG owners would disagree, but they are standing at the parts counters looking for wiring help.

:)

181 - 200 of 204 Posts