Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 204 Posts

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,917 Posts
Do you think you will notice extra... 1-2 HP on top of 268 that you already have? :)
or reduction of 1-2 HP. Most products promise a 10HP increase because it's very hard to notice 10HP different and it's within the margin that they don't get law suit.

·
Rubber Ducky
849 Posts
have you heard of stomach flush? Not exactly "drinking" per say, but that water will get into the animal.
You can shove a fire hose up his ass, but that doesn't make it any better.

Just depends on how you look at it, and everyone has their opinions on this exact matter.

a change in 5 degree's can give to take 1-2 hp, or up to 10-15 hp depending on how high the temps are at the mas air. People who run 87 octane in their v6 cars make good use of their knock sensors. remember kids, they can only go so far before the ecm can not control it anymore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The same engine in my friend's Lexus IS350 makes 306 WHP (wheel horse power). Granted the tuning is different, but the engine is great.

Using premium fuel will increase performance, yes. But the engine can still run on regular 87 octane. I'm not sure what you mean by too powerful...I assume if you've never driven a car with a V6 it may be overwhelming, but it's no supercar.
Using premium fuel doesn't change anything. Some cars require premium fuel (higher octane) to prevent knock because of higher compression. Octanes actually tell you how much fuel can be compressed before it ignites.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wow, this is an old thread.

Anyway, how fast are they?

Fast enough to run with a brand new WRX and I know from experience because I raced one.

I know there is at least one person on this forum who found that hard to believe, but Motor Trend has them within 3-4 tenths of a second of each other 0-60, with the Camry actually having a higher 1/4 trap speed.

Car and Driver got better times out of the WRX, but they bounced it off the rev limiter and dumped the clutch.

"We held the engine at the 6700-rpm redline, jumped off the clutch, shifted out of first at about 5300 rpm, and held on to second until the car hit the redline in second at 61 mph.

To get down to a repeatable 4.8-second time, we subjected the WRX to this mechanical mayhem 14 times."

They needed 14 times of redline clutch drops to get that time. That's what needs to be done if a WRX doesn't want to be embarrassed by a Camry.

A more real world scenario from Car and Driver:

"And if instead you just ease off the line, your times will likely be somewhere closer to our 6.3-second rolling-start 5-to-60-mph figure."

A Camry SE V6 will do a drama-free 0-60 in 5.8 seconds all day long by simply mashing the pedal to the floor. No need to be a good driver or severely abuse your car to get that time.

Of course, if the road isn't dry, the WRX wins 100% of the time, but if the WRX doesn't want to risk shattering his transmission, and isn't a perfect driver, he/she better watch out for those V6 Camrys.

So there you go, some perspective on how fast the 2GR-FE Camry is.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
A Camry SE V6 will do a drama-free 0-60 in 5.8 seconds all day long by simply mashing the pedal to the floor. No need to be a good driver or severely abuse your car to get that time.
The 2.5 can chirp Primacy and Energy tires on the dry asphalt and spin them on the dry concrete, so 3.5 should definitely spin if you "simply mashing the pedal to the floor". :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I only tried it in the snow to get unstuck. Not sure I want to smoke the front tires.

My point is that the SE Camry V6 is in the same ballpark as a new WRX, especially so in the 1/4 mile, in a real world stoplight race or a two to one merge.

I've had manual trans cars all my life and this Camry is a piece of cake to launch. It's not massively torquey down low and it simply doesn't require the same skill level or need to severely abuse as the WRX manual transmission does to go fast in a straight line.

·
Registered
235 Posts
and then you simply can push pedal to the metal and do "drama -free" 0-60 in 5.8 without any tire spin... :)
It'll spin the tires a little, I didn't put it to the floor immediately, you do have to modulate the throttle a little at first so the traction control doesn't become too intrusive, after that though, it truly is a mash and go affair with no drama. This isn't a 400+ hp Mustang GT where there is a very fine line between smoking the hell out of the tires and bogging down.

You really are having issues with the V6 Camry being as fast as it is aren't you?

Does it bother you that the Camry V6 can run with a WRX? Do you wish you had a V6? No? Then what's your problem?

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
Your "a drama-free 0-60 in 5.8 seconds" is not that "drama free": the tire spin, driver's reaction, acceleration technique, pavement condition... The V-6 Camry is a large,quick, comfy and pretty expensive family car, the WRX is a pretty affordable awd true sports car at heart that gives you a real driving pleasure. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Your "a drama-free 0-60 in 5.8 seconds" is not that "drama free": the tire spin, driver's reaction, acceleration technique, pavement condition... The V-6 Camry is a large,quick, comfy and pretty expensive family car, the WRX is a pretty affordable awd true sports car at heart that gives you a real driving pleasure. :)
It's relatively drama free compared to the WRX, sheesh. There is a hint of tire spin and you just have to ease off the throttle ever so slightly at first. Compared to almost any other manual transmission car with even a hint of sportyness, it's drama free, especially drama free compared to a WRX being clutch dropped at 6700 rpm slamming through gears. What are you, the semantics police?

141 - 160 of 204 Posts