Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It takes a good bit of driver skill and practice to perfect a launch/consistent 0-60 time in any MT car.

For instance, launching a RWD BMW 6MT 335i at full throttle is much harder than launching a AWD 8AT 335xi. And the auto driver would probably beat most drivers in the stick in most runs, despite the auto/AWD being heavier.

Turbo Subarus, at least the 2 I've driven, are laggy SOB's...you HAVE to abuse the crap out of the clutch to get a good launch. I wouldn't do 4K clutch dumps on anything I wanted to last a good while.

The 3.5's power curve makes it much easier to launch than the 3.0/3.3 Toyotas that had tons of torque down low and meh HP up top. Flooring the gas in one of those from a stop just resulted in massive amounts of wheel hop.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It takes a good bit of driver skill and practice to perfect a launch/consistent 0-60 time in any MT car.

For instance, launching a RWD BMW 6MT 335i at full throttle is much harder than launching a AWD 8AT 335xi. And the auto driver would probably beat most drivers in the stick in most runs, despite the auto/AWD being heavier.

Turbo Subarus, at least the 2 I've driven, are laggy SOB's...you HAVE to abuse the crap out of the clutch to get a good launch. I wouldn't do 4K clutch dumps on anything I wanted to last a good while.

The 3.5's power curve makes it much easier to launch than the 3.0/3.3 Toyotas that had tons of torque down low and meh HP up top. Flooring the gas in one of those from a stop just resulted in massive amounts of wheel hop.
Yes! You get it! Thank you.

If the WRX is caught off guard, or botches the launch (highly probable in the real world), there is no catching up, let alone catching up and passing a Camry V6. The 6 speed auto doesn't miss shifts. The Camry does not run out of steam, it's doing 100 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Considering all of the praise the WRX gets, and the hatred the Camry gets, I really don't think this is common knowledge, even amongst the "enthusiast" community.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Your "a drama-free 0-60 in 5.8 seconds" is not that "drama free": the tire spin, driver's reaction, acceleration technique, pavement condition... The V-6 Camry is a large,quick, comfy and pretty expensive family car, the WRX is a pretty affordable awd true sports car at heart that gives you a real driving pleasure. :)
The WRX is cool for single guys who live at home and have no bills other than a Porhub subscription...

·
Registered
39 Posts
a buddy of mine (who is a really bad driver) bought a 15' sti and lost to a 14' camry se v6 so iam guess there pretty quick. won 2 out of 3 times hahah again this kid was a bad driver. just young with lots of cash

·
Registered
235 Posts
The WRX is cool for single guys who live at home and have no bills other than a Porhub subscription...
I have nothing against the WRX. I definitely would've considered one instead of the Camry if I didn't need to put two car seats in the back. I need the room, so the WRX won't work for me. We had an Impreza and a rear facing child seat does not fit behind me and barely fits behind my wife.

I did get another car that coincidentally also has 268 hp and also weighs about 3,300 lbs like the WRX, but with much more room in the back. A Camry SE V6, the car for guys and gals who'd like something like a WRX, but need more room, and don't have time for the service department. Yes, I had to give up the manual trans and the handling, but being able to fit my kids in the back was non-negotiable.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have nothing against the WRX. I definitely would've considered one instead of the Camry if I didn't need to put two car seats in the back. I need the room, so the WRX won't work for me. We had an Impreza and a rear facing child seat does not fit behind me and barely fits behind my wife.

I did get another car that coincidentally also has 268 hp and also weighs about 3,300 lbs like the WRX, but with much more room in the back. A Camry SE V6, the car for guys and gals who'd like something like a WRX, but need more room, and don't have time for the service department. Yes, I had to give up the manual trans and the handling, but being able to fit my kids in the back was non-negotiable.
This is exactly it. And Toyota way understated the power of this car, real world hp is closer to 280 stock, and torque is closer to 265 - sure, no hydraulic steering or rally motor, but what's that mean to us guys with wives and kids? Nothing. The camry will also outlast the WRX by a fair margin...

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is exactly it. And Toyota way understated the power of this car, real world hp is closer to 280 stock, and torque is closer to 265 - sure, no hydraulic steering or rally motor, but what's that mean to us guys with wives and kids? Nothing. The camry will also outlast the WRX by a fair margin...
Yeah, I'd trust the tried and true Toyota V6 over the direct injected Subaru engine any day. I know it's blasphemy, but I'd rather have the 2GR-FE in the WRX than the boxer engine.

The thing that numbers don't convey is the manner in which the power is delivered. The 2GR is smooth, it sounds good, and it pulls hard all the way to redline. This is the engine that Toyota made to replace their inline 6. Although the WRX has torque down low, it has lag and it runs out of juice in the upper RPMs. Also, the boxer sound isn't for everyone.

This applies to any of the turbo 4 cylinder competitors, they all fall flat in the upper RPMs. It's not all about the numbers. Even though the 2GR is getting old, it still FEELS and SOUNDS like a premium world class engine. The 4 cylinder competition doesn't IMO. Get the V6 while you can, because I think it's an endangered species in the midsize family sedan.

·
straight cash homie
18,701 Posts
a buddy of mine (who is a really bad driver) bought a 15' sti and lost to a 14' camry se v6 so iam guess there pretty quick. won 2 out of 3 times hahah again this kid was a bad driver. just young with lots of cash
I would think a "car guy" can differentiate a beige LE and a SE V6 with 18 inch wheels (or could be XLE V6)...not knowing the difference is a bad judgment call. But then a capable driver would've known how to drive his STi. Just like they say, "Guns don't kill people".

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, I'd trust the tried and true Toyota V6 over the direct injected Subaru engine any day. I know it's blasphemy, but I'd rather have the 2GR-FE in the WRX than the boxer engine.

The thing that numbers don't convey is the manner in which the power is delivered. The 2GR is smooth, it sounds good, and it pulls hard all the way to redline. This is the engine that Toyota made to replace their inline 6. Although the WRX has torque down low, it has lag and it runs out of juice in the upper RPMs. Also, the boxer sound isn't for everyone.

This applies to any of the turbo 4 cylinder competitors, they all fall flat in the upper RPMs. It's not all about the numbers. Even though the 2GR is getting old, it still FEELS and SOUNDS like a premium world class engine. The 4 cylinder competition doesn't IMO. Get the V6 while you can, because I think it's an endangered species in the midsize family sedan.
I agree, I think the 2GR-FE is an awesome engine - I wish Toyota would open it up a little bit so we could get some decent performance parts for it, or even offer a S/C option like they do for the Tundra, Tacoma, and 4Runner. Could you imagine these cars with a Supercharged 2GR? they would eat STi's for breakfast, and offer reliability far beyond anything Subaru could match. There is a reason they use this engine in the Lotus Evora (even though it comes with a S/C option in the Lotus)...

·
Rubber Ducky
864 Posts
TRD did an sc for this engine. You just have to go to aussieville to get it, plus the ecu to run it. :( Only rated at 320 hp.

161 - 180 of 204 Posts
About this Discussion
203 Replies
49 Participants
Men in Black
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing