Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horsepower and what's the 1/4 mile times and trapspeed? The TRD site is vaque at best. Thanks.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
I recall Motor Trend doing a test of one. Someone got a susbscription and willing to check back issues? I recall 0-60 in the sixes and about 230hp?

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Much like I tell anyone who thinks about F/I, results vary depending on what you have done to your engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kman10587 said:
I coulda sworn it was more than that with the stock pulley. 276 at the crank @ 4 psi was what I read.
Why doesn't TRD list the gains or post dyno sheets.

200 to 230 is weak for the cost it seems like. 15% increase?! Seems like there has to be a much better option.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Of course it puts out nothing. It's TRD. Find something made by someone besides the company that made the car. You'll see much higher gains. TRD chargers are weak. It's pretty sad:(

·
Registered
97 Posts
~150 hp stock at the wheels

~200 hp and ~200 ft lbs at the wheels for a Camry with nothing done to it except the SC.

TRD SCs are great. Insta-torque. Hp flat all the way across.

thats about 25% increase. Thats a good gain. But you can always go further.....

·
The Smashing Pumpkins
335 Posts
S/C alone will get to about 240 @ the crank. If you get some exhuast/intake mods along will a fuel controller, you can see around 260-270 at the crank. I have a few electrical and exhuast mods on stock boost, and I'm at around 275hp at the crank (206hp to the wheels). If I had a manual it woud be putting out even more power at the wheels. BTW I had dyno tuning done win an SAFC2.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
trypsix said:
TRD SCs are great. Insta-torque. Hp flat all the way across.
Umm.. that's any Supercharger. It's instant power, yeah. That's the great part about belt driven.

But the TRD doesn't put down anything compared to something like a KenneBell supercharger which gives gains of 200+hp on a stock engine.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
kman10587 said:
http://www.toysport.com/New Products/TRD Superchargers.htm

This link shows towards the bottom in bold that the stock kit brings you to 276 hp and 271 torque with a 3.20 pulley...maybe there's something I'm not understanding about how supercharging works? What's the difference between maximum horsepower and peak horsepower increase?
Maximum hp is the most power you can get out of it. This would be at redline because that is where your engine is spinnning the fastest.

Peak hp increase is how much power has been gained at the hp peak in the engine powerband. For a Camry, that is about 5,500RPM.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh okay, so the most power I would make on the TRD supercharger with the standard pulley running 4 psi would be 242 hp and 247 torque. That's not too bad, and I can always run a better pulley to get the horsepower up to 300. :)

Oh yeah, can I run the TRD supercharger on stock internals at 4 psi, or would I have to get some forged internals? I think the engine can handle 4 psi, but I'm not sure.

·
The Smashing Pumpkins
335 Posts
Your car will be able to handle 4spi just fine. TRD did extensive testing to determine that 4spi was the safe limit w/out any mods. If you wanna go higher, you need to get better fuel delivery. You would have to get better injectors and a fuel pump atleast just to be safe with anything more than 4spi. Many people that go to 5.5psi blow knock sensors. Some don't, but many do. Anything above 5.5psi, will require working on internals, and fuel mods. If you get fuel or exhaust mods however, you will definately need a air/fuel maybe even timiming control device. But if you stick with 4spi, just get a CAI and exhuast and you're good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts