Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am planning to buy Prius to get maximum fuel efficient of this car.
I read it, on highway Prius can get 53 miles/ galon.
How fast of Prius speed in highway in order to get 50-53 MPG?
I just don't want people always "stare" / cut my car that already in most right line just because I follow speed limit :)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In my experience with a 2010 to get 53mpg highway I would have to go 60mph.
@ 75mph I'm getting 45mpg
@ 85 mph I'm getting 38mpg.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The Prius is a city car that will also do fine on the highway. First, you didn't say where you live or plan to drive. In the Los Angeles area, my wife's Prius C does wonderfully in gridlocked traffic or at city speeds. On a steady highway cruise of 65-70, it stayed at 48 mpg, because you're using the gas engine. Driving it to work in Los Angeles during the week, I've never gotten less than 65 mpg. Leaving Los Angeles at 4:15 pm, I've gotten 75 mpg more than once.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,474 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am planning to buy Prius to get maximum fuel efficient of this car.
I read it, on highway Prius can get 53 miles/ galon.
How fast of Prius speed in highway in order to get 50-53 MPG?
I just don't want people always "stare" / cut my car that already in most right line just because I follow speed limit :)

Thanks in advance.
I've seen 53+ MPG while driving 60-65 mph in our 2010 Prius III.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Find a right lane professional driver and stay 130 feet behind them (3 stripes separation) and you will get 10 MPG more than without a "windbreaker". In my driving environment that gives me a level of comfort as well as letting other faster drivers know I am not interested in their stupid and aggressive actions. The bigger the "windbreak" the less stupidity I see from other drivers that just don't have any idea of efficient driving, even at 70 MPH I have seen 60+ MPG from my Mirage and 50+ from my Echo (neither is a hybrid).

For those who call that dangerous, there is a spot at the entrance to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel where there is a car passing over the same spot 84,000 times every 24 hours, just under one per second for a 24 hour period. That is 1/3rd of 3 stripes separation. Other points have traffic nearly as dense. I once did 64 MPG in my 94 Civic VX for 300 miles of Interstate driving in one day.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,474 Posts
Find a right lane professional driver and stay 130 feet behind them (3 stripes separation) and you will get 10 MPG more than without a "windbreaker". In my driving environment that gives me a level of comfort as well as letting other faster drivers know I am not interested in their stupid and aggressive actions. The bigger the "windbreak" the less stupidity I see from other drivers that just don't have any idea of efficient driving, even at 70 MPH I have seen 60+ MPG from my Mirage and 50+ from my Echo (neither is a hybrid).

For those who call that dangerous, there is a spot at the entrance to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel where there is a car passing over the same spot 84,000 times every 24 hours, just under one per second for a 24 hour period. That is 1/3rd of 3 stripes separation. Other points have traffic nearly as dense. I once did 64 MPG in my 94 Civic VX for 300 miles of Interstate driving in one day.
My biggest issue with this is I prefer to avoid rock and stone damage from things getting kicked up by large trucks. I get plenty of that on my work truck driving as you described.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
In my experience with a 2010 to get 53mpg highway I would have to go 60mph.
@ 75mph I'm getting 45mpg
@ 85 mph I'm getting 38mpg.
My wife's 15 gets a little better than that:
55+ @ 60
47 @ 75
44 @ 85

But that's within normal variation for miles, engine breakin, tires and tire inflation, load, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts