Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 toyota paseo. last year i replaced my two front rotors and am using some hawk black pads. its been awhile since i drove the car due to an over heated engine. i finally replaced the engine and replaced one of the calipers that was all seized (cheap caliper from your local parts store).

to sum it up the cars brakes feel like i have to slam it to the ground with some effort. its nothing close to my corolla gts where all i need is moderate pressure to threshold brake. i feel as if it would take alot of pressure to even lock up my wheels.

is this how all paseo's brake? because if not i wonder what could be the problem with my braking system.

i have good working front calipers, pads with alot of life and decent rotors up front. i checked the rear pads and they have decent life left on them also.

G

·
i have a 96 toyota paseo. last year i replaced my two front rotors and am using some hawk black pads. its been awhile since i drove the car due to an over heated engine. i finally replaced the engine and replaced one of the calipers that was all seized (cheap caliper from your local parts store).

to sum it up the cars brakes feel like i have to slam it to the ground with some effort. its nothing close to my corolla gts where all i need is moderate pressure to threshold brake. i feel as if it would take alot of pressure to even lock up my wheels.

is this how all paseo's brake? because if not i wonder what could be the problem with my braking system.

i have good working front calipers, pads with alot of life and decent rotors up front. i checked the rear pads and they have decent life left on them also.
If the pedal is hard as a rock and your not getting good braking performance, suspect a bad rubbber flex line. They can break down internally and cause this problem. This can also cause the caliper to lock up. Is the pedal spongy? If it travels all the way to or near the floor, you still have air in the system from the caliper replacement. If neither of the above is true, your rear brakes are in need of an adjustment. When the shoes wear down, the wheel cylinder has to travel farther to push them. This adds some "travel" to the brake pedal.

·
Tinkering Addict
89 Tercel EZ
332 Posts
My Tercel also requires significant force on the pedal to stop. Adjusting the back brakes helped some in my case, but the problem for me seems to be a lack of strong vacuum and ceramic front pads that are not so grippy any more. Between the two problems it's pretty hard to get my car to skid when braking.

I've noticed that I get much better braking power assist with the car in gear rather than in neutral (I have a stick-shift). This is actually something I've noticed with every small engine car I've had. My '89 Nissan Sentra behaved the same way.

All that aside, Ditto to what 96paseo said for diagnosing the problem

·
Registered
193 Posts
My '92 brakes pretty hard, stock pads I believe. One thing I used to have problems with on cars that I didn't drive regularly, is rust buildup on the rotors. Once the rust is removed with the pads(by driving, and braking), the pads won't work so good after, become glazed.

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
im using cheap regular pads
first thing is the brake pads have to be brocken into, u have to stop very slowly for the first few days. They usualy have some sort of instructions or soemthing, when instaling new brakes u should also whipe the DISKS with something, i like to use acetone and a paper towel.

my tercel stops ok, check ur reservoir, if the level fell below low, you might have air in your system, causing ur brakes to not engange properly. you might have to redo ur brakes, and bleed them. Im not realy sure, i havent done that ever. You might have some leak in lines, or slave or master cylinder. U can do a visual inspection for leaks, just spray some brake cleaner on metal parts, and some deagreaser everywhere and whipe, then run ur car and see where leaks come from. Redoing the COMPLETE brake lines, without lifting the car is a bit of a pain, check before u do anything. Also i think clutch is part of brake pump, so u i will have to bleed the clutch line too. not sure bout that

on my tercel 94 with a bit of force, a lot more then the gas pedal, and a bit more than cluch pedal, the brakes will STOP the wheel completly.

My car brakes same in either neutral or in speed. When the car is nearly stopeed the transmission will make a funny noise and the engine will stop because its in too low of a gear.

If my engine is OFF and the car is gliding for a while, brake pedal will get harder and harder till it eventually feels like its ROCK HARD, it feels like you dont have any hydralic help at all, the car will stop but with a LOT OF FORCE on the pedal.

hope that helps, i dont know what else to type

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
My car stopps so hard when my wife drove it last week she face-butted the steering wheel 3 times that I saw. Her Dakota feels like it weighs 10 tons it has such poor braking. Seriously to stop my car requires less than 1 ounce pressure on pedal.

G

·
My car stopps so hard when my wife drove it last week she face-butted the steering wheel 3 times that I saw. Her Dakota feels like it weighs 10 tons it has such poor braking. Seriously to stop my car requires less than 1 ounce pressure on pedal.
Dakota you say?:naughty: God those trucks are scary under heavy braking. I had the ABS kick in on my dad's Dakota avoiding a deer. Holy hell. Makes me not want to drive it ever again.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i readjusted the rear drums and bleed the whole brake system. i found out that the problem to my braking was my rotors and pads. i only had them on for 1 summer and they went bad so fast. i guess those hawk blacks ate through the cheap rotors i bought. the rotors were so warpped when i turned them i had to take 15 thousandths off those rotors. it prob happend from a combanation of hard braking and cheap boots on one of the calipers ripping and seizing the caliper.

however the rotors turned out to be crap after i turned them because they ended up being to thin. i replaced the pads with oem toyota and new rotors. now it stops very good. thanks for the replys guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts