Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
smcgill
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked @ the beginning on DIY oil change but the link didn't work for me.
So the question : how hard is it to chang the oil and filter?
What synthetic oil is being used these days ?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Use any brand 0w-20 synthetic oil. The oil change interval is 10k miles. Toyota OEM oil is very, very good and can protect your car easily for 10k miles. Others use Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline, etc. This vehicle is easy on oil and yes you can go 10k miles without any long term issues. The oil filter is a canister style and it works just fine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
It's like any other oil change except removing the oil filter housing to change the cartridge can be very difficult because I suspect heat and removable plastic do do not go well together... or you can blame Toyota like everyone else... 🤷‍♀️

·
6,204 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "difficult". It's POC for any decent DIY guy but for lay hands, it might be a challenge.
You will need ramps, or jackstands, jack to jack the car, absolutely have special housing removal tool, wrench to use with it, possibly even a cheat pipe or breaker bar, as those housings tend to be very hard to remove. Drain pan. Rags. That's about it. You will have hardest time ever trying to remove housing without that tool. Center cap in the housing is not for housing removal, it's simple drain plug for oil in filter housing drain.
For me, it's 2 out of 10 difficulty. Though I have seen posts of folks taking hrs to remove that housing.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Its very easy to change the oil if you have the tools.... oil filter wrench, quality socket set, ramps, and above all, the not so common common-sense

I would use ANY full synthetic oil and ANY full synthetic oil filter in the grade recommended by the manufacturer, or one grade thicker for higher mileage motors, motors that burn oil, or for hotter climate areas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No problems changing oil. I used the OEM Toyota filter from Rockauto. It comes with new orings and the tool to drain the oil filter. I use Walmart 0w20 synthetic.

I bought a filter french from Amazon. It was a real ^(&#&%$ to get the filter housing off. I had to use a breaker bar on the filter wrench. When I re-installed it, I put silicon on the oring instead of oil, and snugged it up. Careful with the oring, its easy to get it in the wrong groove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts