Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 MR2 with no power steering, is it hard to add power steering, just the rack and pinion and the power steering pump rite?

Thanks, Kevin

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Truthfully... I have no idea.... but why would you want power steering... just out of curiousity? I don't think I could drive a 2 w/ power steering. The only time it really gives you trouble is in parking lots when you aren't moving... is it really that bad?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not that bad, except I do alot of street parking all the time and its a pain...and my gf drives the car too so she doesn't like it...wants me to get rid of the 2...I was like no way...its either get rid of the 2 or get power steering...

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
try driving a FF car w/o power steering (that used to have it) and you'll love how easy it is to park a non PS mr2.....

·
Registered
270 Posts
I can't believe she would make such an ultimatum....no woman is worthe losing your mkII!!! hahahaha

but anyways, it should not be difficult to turn or park at all. the mkII's i've driven, including my own, have never given me any troubles with parallel parking/turning and i live right outside DC and work in DC. If she has trouble parking a small sportscar with uncanty handling like an mkII, i don't think i'd let her anywhere near my mr2...just a thought :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
dont let her control the duece man....its a mans car and if tha lady cant handle it than so be it...no offense!! i could never let ma girl behind the wheel, only in the passenger seat holding on!!! :lol:

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I let my girl drive my 2 right before I got it swapped. I figured... new motor... new tranny... what could possibly go wrong? I taught her to drive stick on my Supra.... which is probably one of the hardest sticks to drive IMO (comparing to what I've driven... Vettes, NSX, Shelby Cobra... etc)... doesn't help that the clutch is on its way out. Anyways... I was kinda worried because she is a little scary in the Supra.... she jumped right in the 2 and did an awesome job.... except she got a little nervous and layed about 10ft of rubber in the target parking lot :lol:

Oh ya... back to my point.... shes a tiny ass little girl... and she never had a problem with power steering. I think the gf needs to realize she shouldn't turn while the car isn't moving... thats way cheaper than powersteering ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
its not worth putting in power steering, send your gf to the gym and she wont have any problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have EHPS on my two, and i like it. Easier to drive with one hand. I tried my friend's two without power steering and it was a little more difficult, but not that hard. Just need getting use to, since I'm use to power steering on all my cars I drive.. As for which one is better, it's probably obvious that w/o power steering is better and handling and general road feel. And it's lighter for the car, and not worth removing or adding in IMO.

I wouldn't let me GF drive my car. She can try it once, but I know she would screw it up. Girls should stick with auto ALWAYS.. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
lol this sounds weird but i have a 92 mr2 non turbo. im in the process of getting it fixed. I haven't driven the car. Does my car have power steering?

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
1992MR.TWO, power steering was an option so there is no way for us to tell you over the net.
Open your front trunk and see if you see a powersteering pump, or turn your wheel a bit while sitting still with the car on and listen for the pump to activate.

Without power steering, turning the wheel while sitting still is abit of a project, but you should never turn your wheel if the car is not rolling anyway.

For those having problems turning your steering wheels on non-p/s cars, make sure your tires are properly inflated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe weak, but it's a noticable difference.. it only kicks in when you're not moving or slowly moving.. don't remember the exact speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, does anyone know what the deal is with my pwr steering???
Every now & then when I crank up, the P/S light comes on and the PS feels (and IS) obviously out...then I top it off with fluid , even though it never needs any PS fluid (appears full in the dip stick)...5 min. later I crank it up and it works fine...no P/S light and the PS works fine.
The PS never goes out while I'm roling though.
Is my rack & pinion going out, or do I just have a clog in a line filter some where?
SHould I flush the line, etc?
ANyone delt with this before?
Jason (93 NT Mr2)

·
Registered
86 Posts
vtsuckah said:
I can't believe she would make such an ultimatum....no woman is worthe losing your mkII!!! hahahaha
^ mine asked me twice, haha I picked the car and she still hasn't left :) she <3's it as much as I do now!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Adding power steering:

1. Install a different steering rack and hydraulic cylinder.

2. Add the pump to the frunk.

3. Add the reservoir.

4. Add all the hoses.

5. Add the Power Steering ECU.

6. Add the wiring in the frunk. This includes the relay and power wiring.

7. IF the wires are there from the engine ECU to the PS ECU, plug it in. Otherwise, you need to add them.

8. There's a PS dash light. It should be wired.

9. Change the alternator AND the terminal on the harness, because the output stud on the PS alternator is larger in diameter because of the larger capacity alternator.

I guess you could just buy a front clip, that might be the easiest. On the other hand, you could go shopping for a new girl. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Camdaddy said:
its not that bad, except I do alot of street parking all the time and its a pain...and my gf drives the car too so she doesn't like it...wants me to get rid of the 2...I was like no way...its either get rid of the 2 or get power steering...
:disappoin :lol: :hammer: get her own car...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts