Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty bored at home. So i figure i might spend some time trying to tint my rear windows. I figure i can run out pick up some tint and start playing around. $10 for tint i hope is the normal price. I just wanna try to lay it on my rear windows. If i mess up how hard is it to take off. I don't wanna go to pros to do it. Just wanna try and see what $10 can get me. Anyone try it. Any tips? i'm not doing the rear glass where the defroster lines are. i'm not that dump to break those lines.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
do it if you want your car to look like ass

its really hard to get it right, bubbles and creases and evil things of that nature.

luckly, when its fresh on there, its not that hard to get off with some water and a razor blade.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
bowlofturtle said:
I'm pretty bored at home. So i figure i might spend some time trying to tint my rear windows. I figure i can run out pick up some tint and start playing around. $10 for tint i hope is the normal price. I just wanna try to lay it on my rear windows. If i mess up how hard is it to take off. I don't wanna go to pros to do it. Just wanna try and see what $10 can get me. Anyone try it. Any tips? i'm not doing the rear glass where the defroster lines are. i'm not that dump to break those lines.
i ghetto tinted once, on an 86 chevy astro van (had a 350:thumbup: and a kickass set fo slicks on the rear), and i will never do it again, it looked like ass, had bad color retnetion, and it had seams...SEAMS!

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Take it to a professional.

It's not something you want to mess around with when you got defroster at the back and it costs pretty penny to replace the whole rear window.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
I tried it once and never again. There are some things I just rather pay to have a professional do.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EKam said:
Take it to a professional.

It's not something you want to mess around with when you got defroster at the back and it costs pretty penny to replace the whole rear window.
i already stated i wouldn't do it with the back window. just like the passanger side stuff.

So its that hard huh? I don't want to spend something like 150$ for tints because i dont plan and keeping the car. So i figure i might as well try stuff with the car.

·
Not so Noob now!
561 Posts
I've done fairly well tinting windows. The best tint job I did was when I removed the windows from the car and did them in the house. No bubbles, no seams, very nice. Back windows suck though.

You have to be really careful of dust, that is what really screws up a tint job.

My advice: Take it to sombody who does it for a living... It's worth it to pay someone $150 to $300 for a pro job. The tint they use is also almost always better quality than what you are getting for $10. If you are stuck on doing it yourself, there are some guys on ebay offering precut kits for almost any car for $39.99+$8s/h ($48). That would save you a lot of hassle and be easier to install.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Do it with someone who has done it before or else it'll look horrible.

It also is more cost effective to do many at one time. So find some friends who will also want tinting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i agree with everyone here cuz i tried doin it myself...MY GOD. it was a pain! and it looked horrible. i tried to tint my driver/passenger side on my s10 truck. looks horrible and it got to messy. . . i got both driver/passenger plus back 3 tinted for like $120. i took same person to get back 3 tinited for only $90. call around. i think its so worth it..cuz then it looks 'nice' and tahts the imporatnt part of the car.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That $10 cheapo tint is dyed and it will fade to purple in short order. You should always use a better metallized tint that won't fade and is more scratch resistant...That's one if the reasons the pro job costs more...Why not just leave the windows alone if you don't plan on keeping the car?...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts