Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ran over some debris on the highway, and it slapped the splash shields under my 10th-gen Corolla. It popped loose a bunch of retainer clips and caused some minor damage to 1 of the splash shields. I think I only need to replace some clips and the splash shields will be alright.

However, the impact broke off the tabs on one of the plastic panels that go on each side of the radiator. Looked up the part number 53294-02060 and it comes up as the "Radiator Support Air Deflector (Left)." I read that they help direct air through the radiator, and also help with aerodynamics. Anyone have experience with how important it is to replace this part? If you lost yours and kept driving without it, did your temperatures increase, or did you get reduced gas mileage? If Toyota put them there, they must be doing something? :unsure:

It's $64 MSRP and about $52 from online dealers. One for $45 from a seller on Ebay. The cost isn't that much, but seems expensive for a little plastic panel, and I like pinching pennies. Guess I should be spending those coronabux to stimulate the economy. Why is it held on by a couple of tiny plastic tabs that easy break off? :eek:

Circled the tabs, 2 of 3 I believe are broken off.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
I don't have mine on anymore as they had to be removed to when I installed the intercooler for my turbo. My temps have remained the same.

Reactions: 1stb

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
272 Posts
I'm not sure how important they are but as supercharged said he took his off. It looks like it's main job is to funnel air to the rad and not around it.
Instead of replacing the whole piece of plastic. Maybe epoxy or bolt some steel strapping. (the stuff with the holes) onto the areas where your tabs broke off.

The way I see it is if you can rig it up for next to nothing then why not try. If you screw up then there's no harm Becuase the piece was already broken.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts