Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got offered a 2000 Solara with a blown engine for free. What's the story on these engines and maybe a good lead on a used or rebuilt replacement? Been a Camry driver for 15 years. It presently has 514,000 miles and is getting tired.

Not intimidated to do the engine swap myself.

OB

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
514,000 Miles, damn bro i have respect for you to drive that thing so long. Id be bored a long time ago. As for engine swaps go to your local junkyard and you could possibly come accross a good motor. If you want to you could drop a 1MZFE if you wanted to.

Reactions: HowBoutAToyota

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
if the car is for free, i'd take it. Used 5sfes are for 500-750 at junkyards. Install will be close to 500-700 more. 5sfe are IMO the most reliable toyota engine ever.

Edit: As far as fuel economy goes, i get 31 mpg's from my 5sfe. I am the original owne and am currently at 96K miles. There are many members here with over 200K on their 5sfe's. Just get a low milage 5sfe swapped in and you should be set to go for another few years IMO.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
engine swap

Something to keep in mind. A straight 4cyl to 4cyl is drop and install. If you change to a V6 and from auto to stick you will need the engine, transmission, wiring harness, ECU, pedals and assorted bracket and shift hardware and probably radiator, CV joints and hubs if they are similar to my Gen 2 Camry. Also I believe V6 cars have disk brakes front and rear where the 4 cyl has drums in the rear.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That 500K Camry is an 88 that is real tired. I've been replacing components on it out of junkyards for about 5 years in an attempt to see how cheap I can keep it going. Two junkyard engines (3 sfe), a manual transmission, seats, supension arms, door, fender, and lots of little pieces. Everything under the hood has somebody's initials on it. Just snatched two front hubs off a donor for 15.00 a piece.

The Solara has around 70K and my intent is to drop another 5 sfe in it and drive on when the Camry dies. I will keep that rear disk conversion in mind. It's a good idea.

Hoping for around 30 mpg (mostly highway) with the 4 cyl Solara. I get around 32-35 with the old 88 Camry.

·
What the Pho?
2000 Solara
1,433 Posts
Excellent on gas during highway. Expect 31-34 mpg. 75 miles each way, I'm sure you can hit 33 or 34 mpg highway

We recently bought a winterbeater/gas saver/work car.

93 camry, 5s-fe engine
202,000 miles
Noticed sludge, no oil, no coolant when we received the car.
We fixed some misc. parts and topped off the fluids, the car still runs strong. Its a VERY reliable engine. Period

a Free Solara, pop in a new engine plus labor if you wanted, you got yourself a bargain and another car for the next "x" amount of years. Maybe "xx" ;)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I had an '88 Camry, but sold it at 146k miles. The 5S-FE is a good stout engine. It's a lot smoother than the 3S-FE. Not fast, but makes decent torque for a 2.2L engine.

You easily get 30+ MPG on the highway.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How is the hot wx performance. I know it's a 4 banger but can it get out of its own way? Obviously, it won't run like a V8 but does the extra displacement over a 3sfe give it a little better performance or is it lost in the weight gain from a Gen 2 Camry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OBwan said:
Something to keep in mind. A straight 4cyl to 4cyl is drop and install. If you change to a V6 and from auto to stick you will need the engine, transmission, wiring harness, ECU, pedals and assorted bracket and shift hardware and probably radiator, CV joints and hubs if they are similar to my Gen 2 Camry. Also I believe V6 cars have disk brakes front and rear where the 4 cyl has drums in the rear.
Im interested by this... i own a auto 4cyl solara and i was planning on doing a v6 swap into it... and since im hearing a lot about how changing your auto to manual seems like a whole new story... how would a 4cyl to v6 auto swap fit?? would it all be 100% bolt on?? no special tools or anything i could just do it in my garage with some help:whatwhat:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
OBwan said:
How is the hot wx performance. I know it's a 4 banger but can it get out of its own way? Obviously, it won't run like a V8 but does the extra displacement over a 3sfe give it a little better performance or is it lost in the weight gain from a Gen 2 Camry.
It's definitely faster than a gen2 Camry. I was surprised how much more torque I had with just 0.2L more displacement. Whereas the gen2 felt flat when accelerating from around 30 MPH in 2nd gear, the 5S-FE will accelerate noticeable better.

Also, the transmission is a lot better in the gen4. It holds each gear longer into the higher RPMs before it shifts.

In my gen2, I was turing 2050 RPM @ 60 MPH. In the gen4, am doing 2250 RPM @ 60 MPH.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the new engine is in the car. Along with a Xsmn service, radiator and odd parts. The biggest glitch was the car and the dealer indicated California emmissions but the car had a federal motor in it.

After all was in and we started it up I had a leak in the flex pipe. The deasler was going to make me a "deal" by letting me have it for 1000 dollars. After I balked, he said Carquest sold the flex part separate. So thirty dollars later with a sawsall and a bit of welding its quiet and ready for tires and the road.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
After all was in and we started it up I had a leak in the flex pipe. The deasler was going to make me a "deal" by letting me have it for 1000 dollars. After I balked, he said Carquest sold the flex part separate.
Did i read you right; the dealer said $1000 for a flex pipe? :lol: :hammer: It amazes me what some retailers try to get away with. I'd have done the same as you did, even if i had to buy welding equipment and teach myself to do it. I'd think you could have any muffler shop bend you almost any type tubing and sell it to you for $100 tops-

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
Try a used japanese engine, they are relatively cheap and of good quality. But do not buy one sight unseen! Some of the holes may not match.
I went the used engine route for my nissan 200sx 1985, about 4 years ago. It cost me $1000 when all was said and done. I tried to do it myself but two things were wrong: a coolant pipe came out of the block at the wrong angle and blocked the intake manifold going on, and the holes in the new head were oval and the ones in the old manifold were round. No big deal the manifold holes, it still ran, but the cooling pipe had to come out and get changed and didnt know how to do it without wrecking something so back she went to the store and they finished installing the engine.

So if you go this used engine route, like i said, inspect your old engine carefully (preferably out of the car with all manifolds off) and compare to the one you want to buy! Take pictures with a digital camera if you have one and if everything looks to match, then it probably will.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.