Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering how long it's safe to drive my Previa without the supercharger hooked up? I'm tempted to drive it as long as I can for short trip to work without repairing.

Just had mechanic take off my 1995 Previa's belt, to disconnect the increasingly whining supercharger (has been a bit whiney, but was increasing more and more.Mechanic believes pulley was to blame, but supercharger still ok.) I only need it to drive about 2-5 city miles a day, so no hard or fast driving. It drove ok back from mechanic's, at 20-30 MPH, hardly noticed any change, just a bit more sluggish, and no lights or anything lit up. Mechanic advised this route when I told him it might take me a few weeks or months to get the $1500to to repair pulley bearing on supercharger. (about half in parts, half in labor). Previa has 165K.

Have taken my Previa there for past 10 years, and they are reliable mechanics. they were responsible enough to tell me they can't guarantee supercharger is ok until its pulled, but they think it's worth a try (few hundred to pull and inspect before replacing pulley bearing)100% definitive about supercharger being ok until they pull it, but they think it is.
Thank you for reading this, and I'd appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
97 Previa DX AWD; 97 4Runner 5 spd
351 Posts
I don't know the answer. Just wanted to let you know someone's here because the place can be pretty slow at times. If it was me I'd call a Toyota dealer and ask them your question. Superchargers need fluid once in a while too, though I don't know what the fluid actually does. I've been very neglectful of mine...

·
Previa Zealot
4 Posts
It is safe to drive. No harm. Only more sluggish. The short trip conditions you note are just fine. There is a bypass that moves enough air.

The supercharger oil can be topped up fairly easy on the RWD. More PITA for All-Trac because of stuff in the way. This is a good place to start and costs much less than the other option quoted. Castrol synthetic oil is adequate to test this scenario and costs very little.

$1500 for a bearing? ummm well, wow. Not an OK answer for me. Maybe for a complete replacement S/C but not a bearing.

·
Dudeski
96 Previa, 07 Sienna
46 Posts
I bought my Previa back in 2006 and the S/C was whiny. I added fluid and it has never done it since. I do use the Castrol Syntec 5W-50 and change it every 30K. I also inspect the level every oil change and it never requires servicing between oil changes. Have you had yours serviced?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts