Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of posts about how much weight a Highlander can pull, but not much about the maximum length that is safe.

We are thinking about getting a travel trailer and I'm wondering how long other people are towing. I saw one post of someone with a 25' trailer but it seems everyone else is 20' or less. We are looking at a 26' but I'm worried the wheel base of the HL isn't enough. It is around 3800 lbs dry. Is it safe to tow such a long trailer?

We have a 2012 V6 AWD, with tow package (standard in Canada) and factory hitch.

·
Registered
2011HL
1,302 Posts
I would think that the maximum length would be regulated by the province / state. If it falls within the weight specified by Toyota, has trailer brakes and an equalizing hitch I would guess you are as safe as one can get while towing something.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can tow until you hit water. Then turn around 180 degrees (being careful with the item being towed) and keep towing again.

As long as you don't overheat and you dont ride the brakes, their should be no limit on how far you can tow.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Highlander
64 Posts
Weight is probably a stronger consideration than length. Dry weights are sometimes misleading in that they do not include full propane tanks and other weight adding accessories.
The only sure way to know what the actual weights are would be to weigh the trailer. I suspect that your actual weight ready to travel would be several hundred pounds greater than the dry weight figure. You may find that you will be very close to the Highlander's 5000 pound trailer towing limit. Your tounge weight at based on 12-14% of your trailer dry weight will be right at the 500 pound limit. Proper tounge weight for a loaded traiter would exceed the highlanders recommended 500 pound limit. I have found my Highlander to be a capable tow vehicle for my 2500 pound pop top but I think that it would be better to use a higher rated tow vehicle with the ability to accept a substantial weight distributing hitch to tow a trailer as large as you have suggested.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I think my daughter's Highlander is a great car!

BUT

No way on the green earth I would put a 26 foot trailer behind a unibody car. To do so properly, you really need an equalizer hitch... and to do that properly, you really need a vehicle with a frame.

Towing that large and heavy is asking for disaster.

·
Kohari1
69 Posts
I just had to move from Ohio to Texas with my 08 Highlander Hybrid.
I had a hitch installed at Uhaul and got their biggest trailer, the 12x6 size.
I had a washer, dryer, a lot of furniture and electronics, so the trailer was super heavy.
My MPG went from 27 to 13, but it towed it safely to Texas.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the replies! We ended going with a 19 foot R-Vision Trail Sport. It seems to tow quite well. Of course we put a weight distribution hitch on. I know there has been some debate about that, but the manual actually says "if using a weight distribution hitch" so I take that as it's not prohibited!

I'm glad we stayed at this size. Although some on here do tow more there is a lot of literature on the internet that suggests a maximum of 20 feet at a wheelbase of 110". The HL's wheelbase is 100".

I have only towed the 3 hr home from where we bought it but mileage was between 25-30 l/100km, plenty of hills, not too windy. But that'll give you a rough idea!

·
Registered
2009 Blizzard White
49 Posts
I have a 19 foot Keystone Bullet 189FBS that weighs about 4400Lbs loaded and my average fuel consumption is around 22L/100km while towing. The best I got (once) was 15L/100km with a strong tail wind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts