Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious as mine is up to 85K miles and I'm wondering many years I can get out of it, I love it, and I always will make sure it's in right shape, maintenance etc.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
8 years.

J/K

At 85K you should have years left... just maintain it and be happy!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Itll last long as long as you baby it.

Good oil + filter, and drain and fill the tranny every other oil change(only takes an extra 10 min tops). Those are key.

If you see any rust spots, paint them over before they spread.

·
Camry Expert/MR2 JR Xpert
MR2 & 96 V6 Cam
1,201 Posts
Im at 185k with my second gen 3.5 and 175k with my first gen 3.5...Take care of it and it will take care of you...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Whichever comes first:

240,000 miles V6 - before repairs are worth more than the car
300,000 mile I4

2. 20 yrs- before safety considerations, gas mpg, and emissions check make the vehicle not worth owning

Having said all that the 1990s Camrys are among the most durable vehicles made.

So you should be able to see the car to 2017 or so - another 7 years.

Camry's average 22 MPG roughly (combined real world) - if this decade gas goes up to $5/gallon (which it likely will) - a more fuel efficient car may make more sense earlier than 2017.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,614 Posts
Average?

The average owner changes the oil every other year (when the oil pressure idiot light comes on), the coolant on the seventh anniversary, the brakes after they run into a car in front of them, and the half flat tires when the steel belts are rubbing on the road.

Average is irrelevant, given your stated approach to maintenance.

·
1,614 Posts
Id say expect 200-300k miles if you do regular maintenance and don't beat on it too bad on the street.
He's got 87k in 13 years, so you're suggesting another 17 - 30 years at the same pace. Not likely, especially if he's in the rust belt (like I am).

·
Registered
145 Posts
240k for a V6? I beg to differ....I am 275k and climbing....and it hasnt failed me yet....and I am basic owner...so 3k oil changes, coolant when I feel the need, trans oil changes...etc.

I do upkeep it and I am getting some damn incredible mileage to boot

·
Registered
96 Camry LE 2.2
394 Posts
The average life of a 97 Camry is equal to:

4 Ford Focus's + 3 Dodge Neon's + 2 Chevy Malibu's and 1 Saturn Ion

or about 55 Hyundai's ;)

·
1,614 Posts
Ah, but owning & driving any of the others will feel like enduring them for a loooooooong time..................

·
1,614 Posts
at least you didnt include Kia.....I drove mine forever
Considering the first Kia sold in the US was February 1994, it sounds like the time just seemed longer in a Kia..............:lol:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Keep up that regular maintenance and you'll be enjoying your Camry for a long time. Our '98 Sienna (same 1MZ-FE engine as the V6 Camry) has 277,700 miles on it. We drove it from Kentucky to Canada in April, and to Florida in June. 24 mpg and comfortable cruising all the way, and I'd hit the road for a long trip first thing tomorrow morning without a worry (because the maintenance is current).

I agree with TedL -- Because you're not racking up the miles, age is going to become a factor for you the same as mileage in your situation. In addition to rust, things like vacuum leaks may start appearing due to hoses and connectors starting to age. It's nothing to lose any sleep over, though.

·
TN's Mad Chemist
95 Camry
3,127 Posts
Maintenance is key! But I've set the mine at transmission failure or headgasket failure that will take it out. Since my compression numbers are solid, I'm just looking at the trans. If the trans fails, my car is out. Everything else for me is just minor repairs and upkeep cost...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Considering the first Kia sold in the US was February 1994, it sounds like the time just seemed longer in a Kia..............:lol:

:lol: although....I seriously did LOVE that lil car.....I dont care how you drove it...like grandma or like a kid who stole it....420 miles to a tank consistently.

and the first of them were Mazda non interference motors. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts