Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im looking at a trailer for my '07 Tacoma/Long Bed/V6/Doub. Cab/TRD Sport w/Tow Package...Im gonna get an Equalizer Tow Hitch, and want to get a Keystone, Passport Ultralite Travel Trailer with the below listed specs..... Do you guys recommend towing something that is around 26ft?? I guess that's my biggest question, I know Im good for weight and all..... Thanks!!!

JOSH

Passport Model 240QS Specifications
Weight4445 Carrying Capacity1605 Hitch450 Length 26' 1 Width 8' Height 10'1

·
Registered
28 Posts
26 feet is not too long if you're cruising down the highway, or camping in a large open area.... it's when you have to back it in a tight camp space or on a narrow street that you'll have reason for anxiety. I'm running a similar setup but with a 25 foot trailer. I feel pretty confident with it now, but when it was new it was a bit of a challenge. Here's a pic of mine....

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts

·
Hi-Miler
07 siver 4x2 Taco lo
308 Posts
ive driven vehicles up to 100000 lbs

the thing most people do not consider properly
is STOPPING

getting going
getting it to move is easy

typically you are only using 30....40 ......50 %
of the available power

yet stopping against ....Gravity....Weight & GRADE
is sometimes 2...3 4x

a huge difference

no less we have a truism........WEIGHT FOLLOWS WEIGHT
a 26ft camper can easily weigh what you truck weighs

in some cases MORE
can you say TAIL WAGGING THE DOG ???????

NONE of what ive mentioned is compensated for
at the MANUFACTURER or at your friendly DOT

even tho it may not max out the GVW
or TOW WEIGHT......they are Real World Factors

good luck

·
Registered
05 Tacoma DC
319 Posts
As someone else pointed out RVTOWING TIPS recomends no more than 27' with the wheelbase the Tacoma has. I have a 26' ball to bumper and only run a friction sway device and never have had any problems even when the trucks pass. Maneuvering hasn't been an issue either however if I were to go longer I would want a 5er for maneuverablity. I would say stay under 30' and you should be ok.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ive moved 120ft long beams, used for temporary bridges. we have special flatbed trailers at work that extend to 80ft long, and then 40 ft of the beam hangs off the back of the trailer. gets some really strange looks as we roll down the highway at 80mph. It seems these things always have to go somewhere where the road is at its narrowest, windiest, or has buildings on both sides of the corner.

I would not have an issue handlig a 25ft+ long trailer....but thats just me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.