Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this question has been asked many times inmany forums.. i just thought of starting one for the matrix

·
2006 XRS
2006 Matrix XRS
90 Posts
echo7 said:
this question has been asked many times inmany forums.. i just thought of starting one for the matrix
I think that the important thing is to drive more tentatively while the engine is cold. Don't let the revs get to high. You want your oil to heat up so it gets off the bottom of the oil pan and coats those vital components of the engine that it lubricates.
Personally, I let it idle for a minute, maybe, then hit it. I make sure I shift before 3500 until it warms up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
mine usually doesn't see temps below 40 sometimes 30 but what i do is since i have an 04 xrs with the smog pump i usually wait til that turns off then drive and shift around 2500-3000 until needle is half way up the gauge...

·
Enter the Matrix
44 Posts
It's 10 degrees here in Delaware lately. I've been waiting about 2-3 minutes to warm up before going to work every day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great question. I was wondering the same thing myself when I hopped in my Matrix and saw the outside temperature on the thermometer read -6! :eek:

It also answered my question if the thermometer in the car would read sub zero temps. :lol:

·
Registered
'07 XR
14 Posts
This morning, the temperature reading on the dash was -15 C. When started, I drove off I after about a minute and just kept it easy for the first couple of kilometers - no hard acceleration or above speed limit driving. Excessive idling is just a waste of gas.

Regards

·
2003 Matrix XR
2003 Matrix XR
11 Posts
I gave mine about 5 minutes to warm up the past couple of mornings. The temps displayed as much as -7F. Of course, I also had to deal with other issues, too: Frozen doors that required a hard slam to shut all the way and a falling rearview mirror yesterday (has since been fixed).

Tomorrow, I'll have to dig it out from under six (or more) inches of snow...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I garage mine so it's usually around 40 degrees at night but when I am work
I hit the Auto Start for 10 minutes before I leave so its nice and toasty.....
Hate Driveing with a Jacket on...

The Auto start is great, good in the summer as well if you remember to put the AC on :)

John

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
Most warmup procedures are for the benefit of the driver, not the car. As was said, idling is a waste of fuel and at idle, you're getting exactly 0 mpg. Start it, let idle for minute, and then go, but go easy. And, even though the engine coolant temp may warm up, it doesn;t mean that the oil is up to temp yet. Just be sensible about it.

·
2005 Matrix XRS
30 Posts
Yeah, I have never been one to idle my car for very long, unless it was to warm up the interior for another passenger (girlfriend). Just don't drive hard until it is warm.

This doesn't apply to the Matrix, but if you have a turbo, you do want to warm that up for a few minutes, even if it is not cold out.

·
2006 XRS
2006 Matrix XRS
90 Posts
wantin150 said:
Most warmup procedures are for the benefit of the driver, not the car. As was said, idling is a waste of fuel and at idle, you're getting exactly 0 mpg. Start it, let idle for minute, and then go, but go easy. And, even though the engine coolant temp may warm up, it doesn;t mean that the oil is up to temp yet. Just be sensible about it.
Good point, but if your coolant temp is up, your oil is not far behind. Like other posters have said, just be sensible.:deadhorse

·
Klaatu barada nikto
'06 XR4WD Cosmic Blu
54 Posts
It's been below freezing here for a couple of weeks now. I do as some of the others - let it run for about a minute and off I go. Then, just go easy until it's up to temp.

·
05 Matrix TRD
05 Matrix TRD
78 Posts
cold start up

yeah it's actually bad for your engine to idle for extended periods of time, like a bunch of other guys said 30 sec to a minute then drive gently
10 min of idle time is bad for the engine and the environment

·
Klaatu barada nikto
'06 XR4WD Cosmic Blu
54 Posts
One common situation (for required long idles) is when you get up in the morning or are leaving work after many hours of freezing rain or snow/ice. There are times when your car looks like it's been in an ice cube tray in the freezer. In these cases, there's not much you can do but start the car and let it idle while you scrape the snow and ice off the windows.
It sucks, but it's a fact of life. I left my '90 Toyota pickup (before they were "Tacomas") at the Manchester, NH airport for a week and when I got back the entire truck was encased in about an inch and a half of solid ice. I had to smash my way in to get the door open and then it took about 25-30 minutes to get the windows cleared off. What else can you do ;-(

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
I usually start the car and then scrape the ice and snow off my windows, takes me 5 minutes and once i'm done the car is nice and toasty and ready to go

1 - 20 of 28 Posts