Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car needs a new head gasket but I'm not putting $1700 into my 1986 Toyota. How long can I make it last if I just make sure the coolant is always full while I look for another car? I don't drive much, 3 miles each way to work, and rarely on the highway.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
The engine could run a long time. How much coolant are you adding?

Coolant in exhaust over time can cause the converter to fail and the effected cylinders to have greater cylinder wall wear.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just change it a head gasket sint hard to do on a 4 banger even easier on a rear drive rolla and if you dont have the skills to do it heres a good chance to learn since the car is screwed anyway if you dont change it.
And I think that shop wants a little to much sounds a $100 a hour for 17 hours and it dont take 17 hours

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine could run a long time. How much coolant are you adding?

Coolant in exhaust over time can cause the converter to fail and the effected cylinders to have greater cylinder wall wear.
I'm adding maybe a quart a week. There's no white smoke yet. The car runs rough for maybe 2 minutes when started but smooth from then on.

·
noadvertisingplease.com
85 Corolla GTS
67 Posts
Get a quote from the toyota dealer. Usual price is 6-7h and that is only $700 labour. FULL kit for HG is about $250 but if it's just the head gasket, the gasket itself is $60.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a quote from the toyota dealer. Usual price is 6-7h and that is only $700 labour. FULL kit for HG is about $250 but if it's just the head gasket, the gasket itself is $60.

$700 is still too much. I think I'll just drive it until it dies. Does BAR'S LEAKS HEAD GASKET FIX work? Maybe that would give me a bit more time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts