Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
not exactly sure how loud this engine is supposed to be but when driving it gets pretty loud... and once in a very long while it will have this extra extremely loud sound.. (however a few shops said they couldn't find that extra loud sound can't since it's intermittant) but as for the normal loudness... not sure if the engine being loud is a problem? (maybe starting to die?) should i take it to a mech? i wanna make sure before wasting any $.. o yea.. my engine has 250000km on it

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
You took it to a shop, they said they couldn't find the extremely loud sound, yet they didn't tell you why it's normally loud? :confused:

·
my name isn't really Bob
Solara
1,887 Posts
what kind of shops have you taken it to? muffler shops?

can you tell where the loudness is coming from? as in the engine itself or the exhuast perhaps.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well.. i didn't take it to a shop.. my dad did.. i have no idea what shops he took it to... i THINK it's just a normal car repair place... maybe my dad didn't think it's a problem... which is why they didn't take a look at the normal loudness

i'm assuming it's coming from the engine... since the sound 'seems' to be coming from the front... it's pretty loud at idle and startup too... i started my car while my friend was standing outside and when he got in he was like 'shit that's loud'

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
may be there's a leak in the exhaust pipe somewhere

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
most likely something is wrong, possibly with the exhaust, but even with an exhaust leak it isnt ricer loud...
my engine's very quite, especially after getting the hole in my exhaust fixed, which I've had for over a year

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
There's either a leak in the exhaust manifold, flex pipe or possibly before or after the cat.

And btw, my 5s-fe on my 95 cam with 93k miles on it is still quiet as a kitten. :snore:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok.. so i should get my exhaust manifold/flex pipe/cat area checked? about how much would it cost to get it checked? and how much to get it fixed? would it be bad to be driving around without it fixed?

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you stand outside your car and have someone rev it with the hood closed you should be able to find the leak somewhere, when my flex pipe had a leak you could hear it near the passenger fender. If your engine sound loud it is normally an exhaust problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
isn't revving it bad for your car? but mayb i'll try it out...

o yea.. forgot to mention one thing... if once in a while i smell some weird odour inside the car would that just increase the chances if it being an exhaust leak/hole? or is that a completely different issue?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Revving the engine is fine as long as you don't keep it near the red line When i mean rev just push the gas pedel so your rpm's are in the 3000-4000 range and the smell you get could possible be from an exahst leak. Does your cabin smell like exhast, if it does then it is defenitly a leak. And I don't know how huch it costs to replace the flex pipe, since the used car dealer I bought my car from had a 6-month warenty on anything that went wrong. So he had it fixed for me.

·
Corsa!
220 Posts
AS. LONG. AS. ITS. WARMED. UP.

Cello8619 said:
Revving the engine is fine as long as you don't keep it near the red line When i mean rev just push the gas pedel so your rpm's are in the 3000-4000 range and the smell you get could possible be from an exahst leak. Does your cabin smell like exhast, if it does then it is defenitly a leak. And I don't know how huch it costs to replace the flex pipe, since the used car dealer I bought my car from had a 6-month warenty on anything that went wrong. So he had it fixed for me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
o icic. ok i'll try it out on the weekend then... as for the smell... it smells weird... not too sure if it's exhaust tho.. like some weird thing being burnt. my dad just said it's probably some leak in some vent hose and to just leave it... however, if i leave these leaks long term would they cause problems? i'll probably get a quote to see how much to take a look or to fix exhaust and such

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, yeah, i think its most likely the front pipe since thats a common problem on camrys. I just had to replace the flex part on mines. Midas and places like that should diagnose it for you. Thats what I did, and got a quote for like almost 300 to replace the entire front pipe. A cheaper option is to have just a new flex portion welded on. As for the smell, its most likely the exhaust coming into the cabin. I would drive with the windows down, just to play it safe. Hope that helps.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,708 Posts
All i Know, the Maximum dcb in California is 95-100. Anything over, it's a fix-it ticket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts