1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
depends how you drive.. lots of variables. just replace them go bad

·
Registered
445 Posts
Depends on how bad you're willing to let them get.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just replaced my gen 4's struts @ 85,000 miles. I had to, the front mounts were shot(noisy!!!) and the back did the 4-5 bounce. It all depends on the individual. If you drive over rough terrain daily, pot holes, carry heavy loads, it will put wear on them. I installed a set of tokicos with the stock spring(will lower next year), with the new front mounts fron the dealer(no noise yet!!). I also installed a trd rsb set to track(WOW!!!). The factory struts are not all that as many @ TN will say, so try Kybs or the Tokicos.

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
I've got 124k on my gen3 and am waiting for my Tokico's in the mail..... I've been getting tired of "floating" everywhere and didn't want to get oem struts, but I also don't plan on lowering my car anytime soon, cause the roads in Tennessee aren't kind to lowered vehicles in many places....

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
on my 3rd sets on my 1997 camry with only 70K miles. (on my originals on my 94 ES w/ 130K miles). it all depends...my cmary's more of a city car..hence it needs more replacement, my es is all highways..hence the OEM's are still good!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you asking because you can't believe that your struts need to be replaced so soon?

I come to this site because my Camry 99 needed new struts at only 55,000 miles. I live in the suburbs and don't do a lot of city or off-road driving. After TWO replacements within a few months, the dealer is admitting that there are a lot of problems with Gen4 struts. Look online at other forums and you will see lots of problems. Do a search on www.cartalk.com to see a very interesting reply to a person with a Toyota strut problem.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Gen3, Stock sturts, 198k :woot:

·
Registered
140 Posts
You will see that everyone here @ TN have different driving habits, therefore all struts are not treated equal( I hope that makes sense). If you are changing them frequently, then ask yourself: are these being installed correctly?? ie: when torquing the rod bolts to the mounts are you holding the rod with metal pliers? Doing that will cut the seals in the assembly and ruin them. Are the bumper stops installed(they are used to prevent the strut from bottoming out). These are called "little" things and little things hurt alot. Hope that helps..

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Camry9294 said:
If you are changing them frequently, then ask yourself: are these being installed correctly??
Good point, would a dealership install them wrong..surely yes, would they install them wrong three times. I beg to differ. There is a problem with gen 4 strut mounts. I had a document a while back (but it threw it away as it didn't apply to me) wherein it said, free replacement of strut mounds assemblies for the lifetime of my ownership for the original buyer (i'mnot the original buyer..hence i threw away that document).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts