Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just joined the forum to get a quick? answered. I'm looking to buy a 2005 Tacoma 4x4 w/ a manual transmission. It has 260k miles. If I were to buy it what would/should I be looking @ as far as maintenance and upkeep on the truck?

·
boulderskies
2006 Tacoma
143 Posts
the usual: oil change records, timing change replacement; tire replacement, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So you are saying if it has all the records that it would ideally be a safe buy? I like "having the truck" as the durability of them is nice to have. I will be looking at it later today hopefully and see what it has to offer. Thanks for the feedback, nonetheless

EDIT: just found out the truck was sold from under me... well it is what it is I guess!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS. arent 2005 & newer Tacomas timing belts chained? or are they still belt driven? I owned a 2016 2wd pre-runner Tacoma 5 years ago. I remember looking into the issue. I found that they were chain driven. If they are a chain do they still need to be changed?

·
My Other Truck
4,200 Posts
PS. arent 2005 & newer Tacomas timing belts chained? or are they still belt driven? I owned a 2016 2wd pre-runner Tacoma 5 years ago. I remember looking into the issue. I found that they were chain driven. If they are a chain do they still need to be changed?
Just offhand I'm not sure about 4-cylinder trucks but it's not hard to find out with a search..... or wait for a better reply.
2005+ V6 Tacomas have timing chains that do not normally need to be changed.

Oh btw, welcome to TN and good luck in your search for a new-to-you Tacoma!

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
There are several here with 200k trucks. Mine is at 195k, so not a member of the high fliers yet.

I'm not sure I would buy at 260k without a serious price drop over lower mileage trucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts