Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2004 Toyota camry and got 106k on it. How long can I expect the car to last or how many more miles if I regularly do maintenance?
I am in the middle of making the decision of whether I should get a new car leaning towards a honda fit, or to hang on to the car.

How many miles do you have on your camry, and have you had any major problems?

Also is it safe to take the car with over 100k on road trips (800 miles)?

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,761 Posts
As long as you regularly maintain your Camry, you should have no problem seeing 200k miles or even 300k. When I worked at the Toyota dealer we REGULARLY saw Camrys with 250, 300, even 450k miles.

That being said, I know of people that drive across the country in an older car with extremely high miles. As long as everything is running properly, your tires are good, and fluids relatively new, go for it. I wouldn't hestitate in a second.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,346 Posts
Like any car, it will last as long as you can afford to maintain and repair it. If affordability was not an issue any car could be made to last indefinitely.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,774 Posts
At your mileage, you have a long way to go 200K easy. I also find that other than maintenance, the longevity of a vehicle is directly proportional to how much your wife drives it! :lol:

·
CamryKing
2010 Camry SE
57 Posts
High mileage vehicles are the story of my life haha. The 92 Camry that my brothers and I drove through high school finally was wrecked at 370K on the odometer. My dad had a 96 with 250K on his and my first car was an 86 with 250K when it finally died. On the 92 the only major maintenance done was a transmission and that was precautionary. The water pump also went out on it at one point but that was pretty much it. With regular maintenance your Camry can go forever. My 2010 has 65K on it right now and I'm expecting many many more miles out of it. I've also got an 03 Acura TL my wife drives with 270K on it. She drove from Indiana to Utah last year and back. 2500 miles round trip and not a single problem. I wouldn't be scared to drive any high mileage vehicle across the country if it had been as meticulously maintained as my cars have been. The key is the little things and to try and catch maintenance items before their recommended mileage. That way you avoid damage should something come off like a water pump. Fluid changes are also essential. Change them constantly. That's my 2 cents!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I have a 2009 that has basically the same engine and transmission and I have 156k on it now. I take it to work out of town all the time usually between 500-800 miles one way. Good tires, properly inflated, fluids and flush the tranny once in awhile and you should be good to go. Save your money.

·
Top TN contributor
3,461 Posts
I own a 2004 Toyota camry and got 106k on it.
That's about 10k miles a year...not very many and THAT CAN be a concern when it comes to regular maintenance...
How long can I expect the car to last or how many more miles if I regularly do maintenance?
Many owners, TOO MANY owners, underestimate wear and tear OVER TIME vs. mileage....
What have you done thus far....?

IN THESE TEN YEARS...
How MANY TIMES have you changed coolant, flushed and changed other fluids, incl. brake, power steering, auto-transmission....? They break down chemically over time and should have been changed at least 2x by now...

Have you checked/replaced as needed all rubber components...hoses, gaskets, engine mounts...?

Have you changed your PCV valve and spark plugs, and valve cover gasket(s if it's a V6)?...they do dry out and become brittle, and their sealing capacity becomes compromised....

I am in the middle of making the decision of whether I should get a new car leaning towards a honda fit, or to hang on to the car.

I bought an 05 that ran great with 97k miles but did all the maintenance above regardless of whether (or NOT) the previous owner had...just to make sure they had gotten done...and they really needed to be done....

I've switched from conventional oil to synthetic and the car runs even better now...a few months ago I round-tripped from south Florida to Chicago (1400 miles) each way in two days non-stop (other than for gassing up) each day...and it actually used LESS oil on that 80mph run than around town, a reversal of what I had previously experienced...and averaged 35-36mpg at 75mph cruizin'....

I too will run only 10k or so miles a year...and by spending a few hundred dollars a year I expect the Kitacam to run for at least 15 years...to 250k miles...I'll likely have to up that annual cost as I get up there in miles, for suspension parts, for a new clutch.....but that's what's to be expected in terms of regular maintenance down that long road...

Welcome to TN and hope we can help you down that road if you stick to your Camry....

·
Registered
330 Posts
I own a 2004 Toyota camry and got 106k on it. How long can I expect the car to last or how many more miles if I regularly do maintenance?

Im not in the high mileage club yet, but I know these cars will last, like everyone above has already mentioned. Just keep up with the basic, routine maintenances (tires, fluids, etc).

I'd bet that you can get 10 more years and 100k more miles out of that car, easy, and spend less on maintenance and repairs than you would spend on 12 months of car payments on that Honda.

You already have a reliable and fuel efficient car. There is no need to pick up a new car debt...that would be a want . So I guess the decision will boil down to: do you want to use your income to build wealth, or do you want to use your income to make the banker richer? :D.

If you decide to keep your car, go ahead and save or invest that Honda monthly payment that you were willing to spend...check back in with us in 10 years and let us know how much it turned into ;)

Good luck.

·
Retrofit For the Win
494 Posts
My 03 I4 has 127,100 miles and still drives like new. No warning lights or anything. I think it will get to 300k.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
While good maintenance can really extend the life of a vehicle even poor maintenance should get you close to 200K miles. Regular oil changes are probably the most important thing. Driving habits can play havoc however. Jackrabbit tire squealing starts on a regular basis can definitely bring an end to an automatic transmission for instance. One thing you might consider is that you may begin experiencing minor annoying problems before long. Particularly if the car is outside most of the time and/or sees temperature extremes, after 12-14 years I would expect things like the door handles to break. On the other hand, my '04 hasn't experienced any such problems yet, has close to 150K miles on it and we just drove from Oklahoma to Cocoa Beach, Fl with stops in New Orleans and Orlando along the way. I'm not planning to retire it any time soon. We're still driving an '01 as well. Retired our '92 with 250K some years ago due to a number of problems which would have cost more to correct than I felt it was worth. (A/C, struts, and the final straw, engine check light and intermittent roughness) Drive it, enjoy it, and stick the money it saves you into a replacement vehicle account. When it comes time to give it up you should have a nice tidy sum sitting there ready.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.