Votes: 83 33.5%
  • Varies on my mood and my wallet

Votes: 14 5.6%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of you are running 91 octane in your V6?

I read in a review that Toyota calls for 91 octane in the 6cyl but only 87 in the 4cyl.

Over Christmas I ran from Atlanta, Georgia to South Texas running high octane almost all the way.

I got better gas mileage, less ticking than 87 octane, and the engine ran quieter.
Probably why Toyota recommends the better octane.

Just Curious.....

This poll is for the V6 not the 4cyl

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
im running 91 octane since i baught it only 5k miles ago.

i have tried searching the answer to this question, does anyone know what it means in the owners manual when it says research 96 octane?

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
I ran 93 for about 5 months.

I definitely saw a benefit over 87. A little over 1 mpg better with 93. However, I went back to using 89 (plus). It's about 15 cents per gallon cheaper than the premium. I see roughly the same gas mileage as the 93 (slightly lower, 0.2-0.3 mpg, but not worth 15 cents IMO). Acceleration is noticeably different but I'm just looking for performance, not top 1/4 mile times.

I've never noticed any ticking or noise when using any of the grades in my truck. I've also used FP60 and now the newly released FP3000 since last December. That may have something to do with it.

If I were to tow or haul anything heavy, I would probably use premium but for daily driving, plus meets my needs and expectations.

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
as long as 93 is less than $2.50 I get that, but when it's over that I get the 89.

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
There are two octane rating methods currently in use Research Octane (R), and Motor Octane (M). What you see at the pump is almost always the average of the two (R+M)/2.

Research Octane numbers are normally 8 to 10 pts higher than the Motor Octane numbers, so a 96 R is roughly a 91 -92 (R+M/2) that you would see at the pump.

HOWEVER, and this seems chronically misunderstood - Toyota does NOT say that 91+ octane is required for the V6. It is recommended to get the best performance. See many earlier threads on this subject. However, modern OBD II and OBD CAN engine control systems can suitably run various octanes -most will accomodate 87 octane or higher. Through the use of knock detection sensors (and many others thruout the system), the controls tune to achieve the maximum from the given fuel without damaging knock. (Though you may sense an occasional ping.)

So, unless your particular engine is not running well with 87 octane, there is no necessity in using higher octane. I do find I get slightly better mileage with higher octane fuel, but generally not enough to offset the cost unless fuel prices are over US$2.50/USgal (and approaching US$3). Others have reported more significant improvement. In those cases, it may make economic sense to use the higher octane fuel, but for many of us, it doesn't.

See the FTC site for more guidance on the whole octane debate.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is it true that US octane ratings differ from Canadian ones?

Most pumps in Canada have 87 89 and 91 , sunoco's still have 94 but we lost our sunoco in North Bay last summer :(

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
I think most of Europe uses Research Octane Numbers (RON), but we (US) use the R+M/2 which will be roughly 4-5pts lower. I'm not sure what Canada uses, but would expect that they would also use R+M/2. Maybe our northern friends can respond as to whether the R+M/2 designation shows up on the pumps there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
91 and no less for me. It definitely seems to run smoother and noticebly quieter so I'm sticking with it until the prices go through the roof.

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
You should find that the difference in price btwn 87 and 91 stays fairly constant, or at least doesn't change as much as the price for either one changes. Because of that, and the somewhat better mpg that the higher octane will afford in our V6, you should find that as the cost per gallon goes up, you get more benefit from the higher octane. At first seems counter-intuitive, but when fuel costs are really high, is when you get the economic benefit of the higher octane and it's slightly higher mpg.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
msibille said:
So, unless your particular engine is not running well with 87 octane, there is no necessity in using higher octane. I do find I get slightly better mileage with higher octane fuel, but generally not enough to offset the cost unless fuel prices are over US$2.50/USgal (and approaching US$3). Others have reported more significant improvement. In those cases, it may make economic sense to use the higher octane fuel, but for many of us, it doesn't.
At first, when I bought the truck prices were still around $1.40 for regular (87). I got 18 mpg on regular. That's $0.078 per mile. $1.50 per gallon for 89, got 19 mpg, that's $0.079 per mile. No cost benefit. Actually costs more per mile as you said.

But as the price of gas continues to increase...

With regular currently at $2.25 per gallon. Still 18 mpg, would be $0.125 per mile. With 89 ($2.35 per gallon) Still seeing 19 mpg and the cost is $0.124 per mile.

If you see a significant increase in one grade over another, do the math, you may benefit from paying slightly more at the pump. If the price of 87 continues to rise then my cost will only get better since 89 always stays at 10 cents more than regular.

At least that's how I see the situation currently. I do not see any benefit, performance or cost, to running 91 or 93 octane... unless you are towing.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
msibille said:
You should find that the difference in price btwn 87 and 91 stays fairly constant, or at least doesn't change as much as the price for either one changes. Because of that, and the somewhat better mpg that the higher octane will afford in our V6, you should find that as the cost per gallon goes up, you get more benefit from the higher octane. At first seems counter-intuitive, but when fuel costs are really high, is when you get the economic benefit of the higher octane and it's slightly higher mpg.
Oops. Yeah that's pretty much my point in the previous post.

·
Registered
DC, Sprt, 4x4
120 Posts
I was runnin higher octane and let a friend borrow my truck and he put 87 in it. For a few days, it did act up starting and at one point, almost sound like a diesel when I started it up. Since I got back on the higher octane, it starts up just fine and runs much better.

...just my experience.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access SR5
462 Posts
87, but once a month I'll filler up with 93 as a treat or if I'm in Jersey

·
Registered
65 Posts
87 since the day I bought it. I have never had a problem burning regular, and always average between 22-24 mpg.:eek:hyeah:

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
I put in 93 from Shell 99% of the time just out of habit and the fact that it runs a hell of a lot smoother on 93 then it does on 87. The price doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
I've run every grade over the past 2 years. I wish I couldn't tell the difference. But she doesn't respond, tow, and accelerate as well on 87, period. 87 to 89 big difference, 89 to 93 smaller difference. In a hurry I use 89, otherwise I go half 93, half 87, so 90 octane for same price, sometimes less.

For this those that followed this truck from the beginning, the motor was designed for premium. But would have been bad marketing to require it. Therefore the timing is designed to handle down to 87, but the motor doesn't run as well on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
when i bought the truck i put in 87. motor got louder so i put in 93 and it definitely got quieter .the mileage and power went up as well. you figure if you buy 10 gallons and its a 20 cent difference between 87 and 93, your spending 2 bucks more. its worth it to me.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts