Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 1MZ 98 5SE
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some extra used tires in sets of at least two and some as spares of all different ages from 3 yrs old to 20 yrs old.

With consideration that there is plenty of tread life on the tire at what year point would you just say nope should not drive on that anymore no matter how much tread it has?

Tire shops say old tire rubber hardens but they like to sell tires so just wondering what you all consider too old to drive on.

I live near Chicago so we have hot summers with cold winters and medium snowfall.

Thank you!

·
Registered
726 Posts
A long time ago I had a blow out and ended up having to use my spare in my Celica. From 1988. Somehow the spare was the original one. It had no cracks and I didn't have a choice at the time. Worked just fine honestly. However, it was still in good condition. I still use that wheel as a roller for my shell and it's held up just fine. I would be careful when using older tires though.

Reactions: DLW

·
Registered
822 Posts
Same experience with a spare from '87, about 6 years ago.

To me it really depends on what the vehicle is used for.

6 to 10 years is usually what the people who sell tires say, and I tend to agree with that for a daily driver that sees highway use. The storage conditions and outside temperature dictates what side of that scale I'd look at.

For my beater that goes to the dump once a week on 30mph roads and plows my driveway... the tires are nearly 15 years old, but I don't ever intend to replace them.

On the opposite extreme, there is a meaningful difference in performance on race tires after a year or two, so I do believe that performance of any tire does degrade with time. Up to you how much that matters...

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
2,061 Posts
I think my full size spare is from 2004. Should be okay. It's a brand new tire, never used. Stayed its whole life in the trunk. No UV exposure. I am fine driving it 40 miles.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
1,167 Posts
I have the original full size spare from '01. I don't ever plan on changing it.

Some of my relatives swear by 7 year tire replacements. In reality, reputable brands (i.e. Bridgestone) say that you can drive up to 10 years. If the tires look good, and the tread is good, I think even pushing 11 years will be OK. It all depends on how the tire was "treated"... on a garaged car in a mild climate, tires can last longer age-wise... left in the sun in a really hot climate, probably not. I have two Bridgestone Ecopias on my Honda Odyssey that came with the car when I bought it used, manufactured in 2014, so 7 years old this year. They look fine and have plenty of tread. I have no concerns with it and will probably use them another 3-4 years.

A couple things to take into consideration. It is much more dangerous to have a blowout on an SUV or top-heavy car than it is on a Camry or Corolla, since you're significantly more likely to roll over. Driving on hot roads in the summer at high rates of speed (highway) are most prone to blowouts. If you do a lot of local city driving (i.e. 2 miles to work at 25mph), I wouldn't be as worried.

Usually, this is a moot point, since even if you're an extremely low mileage driver at 3-4K miles per year, that's still 30-40K (likely city) miles by 10 years, so the tires probably need to be changed anyhow.

I don't know that I would feel comfortable pushing much more than 11-12 years, even if the tire looks good, though.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Dodge Charger
1,441 Posts
I do not believe there is a hard and fast rule because of too many variables...
Age, temperature, humidity, etc...

HERE is some good information on the subject.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,248 Posts
A year ago I replaced Michelins on my Odyssey because of sidewall cracking from age. Albany NY, climate comparable to OP in Chicago. They were 7 years old by both purchase and production dates, and had at least half original tread left.

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
1,167 Posts
I have heard many accounts of Michelin tires showing sidewall cracks prematurely. Makes me wonder if they're really worth the money for low mileage drivers like me. A friend of mine had a '14 Lexus ES350 which I borrowed for a few months in 2018 --- the Michelin tires were not even 5 years old, but were showing sidewall cracks already.

·
1,248 Posts
+1 Have heard Michelin mention more than all other combined for this premature cracking issue. Definitely not worth the premium price, or even an "average" price, at least not for a low use second vehicle.

·
Needs more TRD...
98/00 Camrys
226 Posts
I personally go by the 5 year rule for any car that will be on the road.

The spare tire can be prolonged. Changed once in my Camry's lifetime. It just needs to get me home and to the shop.

Casey Putsch brings up some valid points in this video:

·
1,248 Posts
I personally go by the 5 year rule for any car that will be on the road.

The spare tire can be prolonged. Changed once in my Camry's lifetime. It just needs to get me home and to the shop.

Casey Putsch brings up some valid points in this video:
Can you give the Cliff's notes? 20 minutes of video is not appealing to get a couple pearls of wisdom.

·
1,248 Posts
Hey I think I found your tyre
I'm skeptical.....that looks more like it's from a Yugo.

But great pic!

·
1,248 Posts
No it's from the german democratic republic silly
I did see that, and somehow thought they were closer to Yugoslavia than to Japan, but...I guess I need my second cup of coffee. 🙃

·
Registered
298 Posts
lol I was just messing with ya

seriously though OP if your tyres have cracks like above in the tread, best to replace them. If they're on the sidewalls like above, definitely replace them.

·
1,248 Posts
lol I was just messing with ya

seriously though OP if your tyres have cracks like above in the tread, best to replace them. If they're on the sidewalls like above, definitely replace them.
I got that. Just playin' the straight man myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts