Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2002 4dr automatic echo. It has 50k on it.

This car is always being floored and the the breaks applied hard alot. The car has always been shakey and still is. I dont think it is burning oil or anything yet.

My parents want to sell me the car for 5000$ cad on the condition i keep it and dont upgrade or resell it.

It had the breaks replaced at 33k. and everything else is origional expept for a rust recall job that was done.

Oil changes done regulary.

Is this car going to be reliable? Can cheap cars like echos take contant abuse with the auto tranmission?

the car still runs pretty well.

Is this car likely to last a long time if i start driving it better. Or can echos just not take flooring it all the time.?

any responses much apreciated.

Im thinking i should work out to trade it in for a corolla or honda civic just something that my parents will aprove of that hasnbt been as abused.

Is it wise to keep the echo with only 50k???

thanks

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
I think the ECHO can take "abuse" but with all cars or machinery in general if you take care of it it will last you a long time. I think in general Toyota's can endure abuse to a certain extent better than other makes. If you want to keep the car but still "abuse" it you will have to do maintanence more often as parts will be getting warn out faster, know what I mean? It is hard on the engine and car in general to do jackrabbit starts and drive aggresively (all or most of time) with any car but more with an economy car where that's not its primary strength based on "speeding." I'm no expert but that's my general common sense from knowing somewhat about cars. Also if the ECHO suits your needs keep it, but if you feel you should get a bigger car or differnt one, so be it. I own an ECHO and from survey's this is one of the most reliable cars on the road today but if you "abuse" it that will effect your reliability overall. My ECHO is about 3 years old and I've had no problems of course its relatively new but I've put my car through some aggresive driving but for me personally I make it a point not to do it often, as it wastes gas and wears out my car faster. Hope that helps! Good luck!!:clap:

·
Registered
asst'd
78 Posts
abuse??

after about 2 months I was trying 3rd gear burnouts

-Push clutch in
-engage hand brake
-put car in 3rd gear
-raise revs to rev limiter (violent on its own)
-drop clutch!!

Thats abuse

Mine has also seen repeated hwy top speed (speed limiter) runs

Its a toyota

thats all you need to say

W

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies,

so, even although the car has been

1) floored all the time

2) Breaks slamed on (replaced around 33k)

3) ebrake pulled at high speed on dry cement... on snow all the time.

Right now the car runs fine, no probs at all really.

Is it likely that this cars engine and tranny, axels and whatnot can take all this abuse.
Id prefer to keep the car but selling it may be a good idea.

What kind of problems can i expect with the abused car?

·
Registered
2006 Yaris RS
12 Posts
So essentially you want to know if driving like a moron will wear out your car? Think it through, you already know the answer.

·
Registered
06 Toyota Yaris
21 Posts
I bought my Yaris based on Consumer Reports' info I read about echo's being very reliable (and hoping the same is true of the Yaris). ECHOKnight2000 was right to say yes it'll take more abuse than anything else, especially in that price range. But, abuse is abuse. Drive nice(r) and it'll last longer. Or drive wild and pay the replacement part prices. Your choice. If it's still driving nicely after what you've put it through so far, that's a pretty good idea of the quality. Try the same stuff with a Hyundai or north american product.:lol:

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
Keep the oil changed often and about the only other thing you will be changing is the brakes clutch rotors

got a pic?
I could buy it for 5000 and prolly sell it here for 10000.

I am selling our echo soon I expect to get $8000+ for it and it is a 2000 with 235k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got my car back from the dealership, paid 1500$ for Safety and E test.

Fake safety is not an option on this transaction.

I got the a bearing replaced (is this important to replace?) and my tranny fluid, tires and wipers changed...

NOW is have bougt the car.

Should I keep it? i can sell it for around 10grand...

So the engines are good, i read, and can take the abuse of flooring, however, what about the transmissions. My auto still runs good. And im having the flued changed. Any transmission worries.

What should I do with this car and my situation?

Its been driven pretty hard but not nearly run into the ground yet i hope.:smokin:

·
Dude wheres my Yaris ??
48 Posts
Not being fecicious at all, but sell that thing and get a Yaris man.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No, toyotas are usually reliable but your parents Echo sounds like it's a bad one. I agree with darkus, consider a new Yaris. Its cheap and one of the best sellers in other continents

·
Registered
79 Posts
Everything on a car is important to replace.

$10,000 canadian I assume is what you can get for it. Do you have enough money to then go buy a Yaris?

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
Holy shit! $1500 for safety and E-test! :eek: gotta love the stealership! what did they do?? put gold-dipped calipers and racing pads?? :disappoin :lol:

No seriously.. what did they replace for that much?? should've gone to a regular shop. :disappoin

·
Dude wheres my Yaris ??
48 Posts
Ive heard the Yaris can take a whole lot of abuse, one of the reasons im getting one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
150K+ - still going

I have over 150K + on my 2000 Toyota Echo. Although I am not a professional mechanic, I do my own maintenance on this car but it is not a "high maintenance vehicle". The engine still purrs but now I am researching how to replace the rear brake pads and wheel bearing assemblies because the passenger side wheel assembly is making excessive noise.

·
'09 iQ Diesel
iQ
792 Posts
I don't know about the 1.5l engine, but the first gen 1.0 just needs to be floored and rev'd high all the time IMO - it just feels natural for it.

The worst kind of non-abusing daily wear is making short trips where the engine doesn't get warmed up properly, and in the case of the small engine, long highway trips with 4500+ RPM all the time is also bordering abuse.

Our Yaris has recently crossed the 200k mark of pretty much nothing but this kind of driving and it still feels almost like new. There has been no repairs apart from the one where a truck crashed into it, so I guess it shouldn't have a problem getting to 400k either.

On the other hand I have heard a guy who thought his Yaris 1.0 felt "finished" after about 200k of pure highway driving (130km/h+). I guess it varies.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i have a 03 echo with about 65k on it and i drive it hard drive on the highways at 115 then governor kicks in do it for a long time no problems took it to the beach and e braked alot nothing still wrong. I have done normal maintenance I have even put the car in reverse when i was driving 35mph it wasnt on purpose but that WAS AT LIKE 30 K AND IT STILL RUNS FINE! echos run just like the tercel's my friend had one and he didnt do a oil change for like 1 yr oil burned but never changed it. it drove fine echos are good cars same engine as scion xb and yaris run it till it dies. I know i will. cause once it dies i am sticking a v8 in there :0

·
Easily Distracted
Looking..
31 Posts
If you have someone that'll give you $10 000 for an Echo, take the money and RUN!!
As for the way you abuse it, I'd say the most likely victim to let go will be the transmission. I drove like an idiot when I was younger too and auto trannies were not a good combo with it.

·
Registered
08 Yaris/01 Echo
219 Posts
My 01 Echo just turned 200,000 kilometers with only normal maintenance,but it was driven easy and well cared for.The car you describe sounds like its been abused in every respect and will probably be a money pit as time wears on,for $5000 i think you could probably get an Echo that hasnt been beat all its life.That said they are tough little cars and will take that kind of driving abuse for awhile but its supposed to be an inexpensive and economical car why not just slow down and save yourself some money.

·
Easily Distracted
Looking..
31 Posts
You might also want to be careful now that we have Bill 203 in Ontario because almost ANYTHING is considered "street racing" now. Even if you drive fairly normally.

A guy on my forum in Omeemee was with a friend who merely chirped the tires in his Toyota pickup and was fined $3000, had his license suspended and his truck impounded.

This law is designed to make money and they are pulling people over for ANYTHING they can think of (make up.) If you drive as you say you do, whether the Yaris can take it may be the least of your problems. Either way, you'd be best to get a manual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts