Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
New 2008 Highlander Base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much did you pay for your 2008 Highlander Base 4WD? I want to know if I got a good deal on my recently purchase or not. And at the same time share my info with others as reference as well.

I brought a 2008 Highlander Base 4WD (BLUE) because of Toyota's $2,000 cash back promotion deal for the 08' model for $28,847. There is no deals for the 09' except for Lease cars. Anyway, here are the add'l optional equipments that I have on the car:

MSRP: $32903

-Power Tilt/slide moonfroof w/ sunshade
-6 disc cd
-cold weather package
-convenience package (roof rails & tonneau cover)
-8 ways power driver seat
-Engine Immobilizer
-Manual Rear A/C with 2&3 row vents
-Daytime Running Light Pkg
-Tow Prep package
-Cross bars
-Carpet/cargo mat - 3 row seating
-mudguards

I pay $28,847.00 (include dest charge) for the car before all the taxes & fee.

**Did I make a GOOD DEAL or NOT?**

Also, the finance guy persuade me to buy the additional warranty coverage because it will buy down the interest rate on the financing. The cost of that coverage is an additional $1,890.00 which cover "Bumper to Bumper" for 7 years or 100,000 miles. He was saying with a 4WD, thing with break down more frequently than a 2WD and that it cost a lot more to repair a 4WD than a 2WD.

**Is it necessary to get the additional warranty coverage?**

Any post or feedback is appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
Also, the finance guy persuade me to buy the additional warranty coverage because it will buy down the interest rate on the financing. The cost of that coverage is an additional $1,890.00 which cover "Bumper to Bumper" for 7 years or 100,000 miles. He was saying with a 4WD, thing with break down more frequently than a 2WD and that it cost a lot more to repair a 4WD than a 2WD.
Extended warranty's are a money maker for the dealer and usually not a good deal for the consumer.
To the "4WD, things with break down more frequently than a 2WD and that it cost a lot more to repair a 4WD than a 2WD." comment, I always say "Oh my god you are saying that Toyota's fall apart and I need an extended warranty to make repairs!!! I need to look for a car that doesn't fall apart.." and get up and start to walk out. It is always interesting to watch the finance guy's reaction as he gets a panic look and senses it just killed a deal:D.

After much sputtering on their part I usually complete the transaction without any more sales pitches (paint sealant, fabric protection, etc).

You would have to compare the total cost of financing without the extended warranty to the total cost with the extended warranty to see what the difference the rates made. If the total amounts are about the same and the dealer financing is the the best deal around and you are going to keep the HL for a long time it could be worth considering.

You have until the factory warranty runs out to buy one if you really want to. You also need to make sure it is issued by Toyota not an aftermarket policy. Now days you may end up with a policy that costs you $1890 and the issuing company files for bankruptcy leaving you holding the bag and out $1890.

It is always a good thing to shop for financing before you go to a dealer so you can compare their rates to others although depending on your credit rating the Toyota 3.9% financing on a Highlander is probably hard to beat (lowest rate at my Credit Union is 4.9% currently and can go higher depending on your FICA score)

·
Registered
303 Posts
The decision to by a warranty is subject to how long you plan on keeping your truck, etc. For me, they always pay off, but I keep my trucks for a very long time.

There was a thread about the warranties. Best NOT to buy it from your dealer when you buy the car. Best deals are found here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221414

I saved $600 using the deals in the above thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts