Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,474 Posts
You're correct. Several members here have changed the fuel pump, but I'm not one of them.

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,474 Posts
Zoom in on the first picture in this post. The AE101 tank on the left. You can see the nut on the fuel pump side is the one that turns and is loose on the pipe.

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,329 Posts
i find it difficult to fathom that Nobody here has removed & replaced a fuel pump and can offer up which one of these fittings turn and which one is stationary, or do they both turn? and how difficult it is to remove without twisting too much if its never been undone before
10d...
View attachment 340554
It's the same as any other flare-fitting on the car (brake/clutch lines etc) - the male turns and the female is fixed

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's the same as any other flare-fitting on the car (brake/clutch lines etc) - the male turns and the female is fixed
yes, that is the one i have been having a go at, twice or thrice now, the fitting on the bracket itself, wasn't budging, not at all
i even attempted removing the one in the 'donor' Corolla during a torrential & soaking rainful huddled inside the car at the salvage yard last week for shelter, I ended up twisting and possibly kinking the fuel pipe outlet off the bracket on that car, it just was not budging :mad:

• Wow
Reactions: DrZ

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
so GARYQ suggestion about trying to tighten the flare nut fitting first a bit then try to loosen did not pan out for the bottom fitting that is heavily encrusted.
it popped into my peabrain that i could possibly shave all that crust off with the abrasive blast gun and black aluminum oxide media, to get down to the nitty gritty threads on this, and perhaps unseize the part that is supposed to turn on the tube, which is seized.
do you require some pictures of this process?

the 14mm flare nut wrench will no longer fit it, its all roundy!

its been a week since i ordered a new tube, will it be filled or not
another trip to Texas panhandle perhaps?
Order Contents:
P/N​
Quantity​
Price Each​
Description​
7720912090​
$ 41.93​
Tube SUB - Assembly, Fuel.

Order Summary:
1 products , 1 items​
$ 41.93​
Shipping & Handling to NE, USA​
$ 11.95​
Total​
$ 53.88​

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Rusty crusty blasted off clean. Nutz lube soak threads and wait for arm to heal, have zero feeling init to wrench and apply opposing torque whilst dealing with gravity

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Avalon Limited W/Premium Package +
665 Posts
I can read your frustration.

Once you get the pipe in that goes to the tank just cut the damn pipe off. It's being replaced anyway, On the side away from the pump first. Make a brace to prevent the gas tank side from moving, use a flare nut wrench and use wood anything you can to make a solid bridge as a wrench rest and stop point to not need to hold it and keep it from twisting and add anything to shim that flare wrench so that it is set locked in place and can't move. Than use whatever you want to remove the big nut since there's no pipe behind it to worry about anymore And use a 3 foot pipe as a wrench extension on it if you have to. There no way in hell that the big nut shouldn't turn without a pipe in it anymore to worry about.

Then If for some reason in hell that really doesn't work just cut it right behind the flare nut on the tank side, get a new flare nut because if it won't come off by turning you don't want it there and just replace it. There should be more than enough slack in the new pipe to compensate for the 1" you lost.

On the middle section where you messed up both sides so if the pipe towards the engine is not rotted out cut it past the damaged section clean pipe and add a male flare nut. Then if they don't reach then just make an extension same size pipe and material. if you can't make a pipe extension yourself take the pipe you cut and the fitting and the measurement of the length you need and go to some garage and ask them if they could make one for you.

Then with new pipes and fittings you're back to to rocking in the 'Rolla

Oh and plug end with anything and steel wool the ends you'll be flaring on existing pipe shiny clean. before putting and flaring a nut on and with the old ones you cut off in hand you just show them to the parts store and say I need these :)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
before blasting

good stuff here! black aluminide oxide, imported from India

after blasting results

what you think?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think you were up working early Looks nicer.... but will it come off?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I think you were up working early Looks nicer.... but will it come off?
not trying today until my weak left arm heals!, i cannot apply opposing force to keep it all from twisting lol ... so i will just let it soak in lube that is supposed to wick the threads but its likely not going to get under all of that buildup
and its no wonder my nephew's wrestling conditioning might could not budge it weeks ago and break that bond, it was seriously encrusted over the decades
the 14mm flare nut wrench will no longer fit the tube end, will have to use channel lock pliers, that flare fitting is probably what metal part slowly turned into surface crust and started bonding together over the top but IDK

its also likely i would've known what i was up against from the start had someone from the NON-SALTY areas (poke! poke! poke!) flipped a pic of what its supposed to look like clean :ROFLMAO:

... have a new tube that's ready to connect

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Reactions: GaryQ

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Order Contents:
P/N​
Quantity​
Price Each​
Description​
7720912090​
$ 41.93​
Tube SUB - Assembly, Fuel.

Order Summary:
1 products , 1 items​
$ 41.93​
Shipping & Handling to NE, USA​
$ 11.95​
Total​
$ 53.88​
well crap!! honestly....

PRODUCTS ON ORDER
Description:Tube SUB - Assembly, Fuel.
Part Number: 7720912090
Quantity:1
Price:$41.93

2021-07-15Order Status Update from Toyota Parts Overstock (Order #7582381)
This message from Toyota Parts Overstock in regards to order #7582381.
Your order has been updated as follows:

Hello J.
Thanks for ordering with us. Unfortunately we have cancelled your order, and refunded your money back to your card. The part you ordered has been discontinued, and is no longer available. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Thanks, Kevin

and thank you, Kevin (n)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Get the other one off and make one or get a shop to do it. Fuel line and fittings including the tools to cut bend and flare are cheaper than a case of beer (or 2)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
i think this tube is a high-pressure flexible tube, rubber and metal, although i felt up into where it goes to the tank and can feel no corrosion on the metal like i can the other 2 metal tubes adjacent
it befuddles i :(

·
Registered
665 Posts
i think this tube is a high-pressure flexible tube, rubber and metal, although i felt up into where it goes to the tank and can feel no corrosion on the metal like i can the other 2 metal tubes adjacent
it befuddles i :(
Sorry bro... There has to be a way though. Best to maybe just get it off first. Did you heal up enough to try and loosen the tank end fitting? Did you shop around for non OEM?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sorry bro... There has to be a way though. Best to maybe just get it off first. Did you heal up enough to try and loosen the tank end fitting? Did you shop around for non OEM?
i likely checked eBay, RockAuto. etc at some point and don't recall finding anything but i honestly cannot remember the day before last sometimes (n) ... its mild CRS developing
as much trouble as i was having at it in Texas with the tube connection by the fuel tank and twisting the bracket pipe i do not look forward to cracking the tank seal, removing the pump to put onto a new bracket, unless the fuel pump is going bad and absolutely have to get into the tank to change it, fuel pumps are 'supposed' to last a rather long time on these cars i have read, but not sure if that is longevity is measured in mileage or time elapsed

but i am ecstatic after 3 months to finally find the other fuel tube that i thought was discontinued as well

here are the exploits lol

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
well crap!! honestly....

PRODUCTS ON ORDER
Description:Tube SUB - Assembly, Fuel.
Part Number: 7720912090
Quantity:1
Price:$41.93

2021-07-15Order Status Update from Toyota Parts Overstock (Order #7582381)
This message from Toyota Parts Overstock in regards to order #7582381.
Your order has been updated as follows:

Hello J.
Thanks for ordering with us. Unfortunately we have cancelled your order, and refunded your money back to your card. The part you ordered has been discontinued, and is no longer available. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Thanks, Kevin

and thank you, Kevin (n)
ooh! a reply i received upon asking why its listed when its discontinued, a vital part to these cars still on the roads somewhere out there
Thanks for asking. Your vehicle is 1996. Its more than 20 years old. Toyota doesn't make or sell it anymore. You can call 1-800- GO-TOYOT and ask them.

Thanks, Adam

and thank you, Adam :rolleyes:

Reactions: Pete Suhman

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well. That was a "polite way" of telling you to f*ck off and stop bothering him. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,100 Posts
Well. That was a "polite way" of telling you to f*ck off and stop bothering him. :ROFLMAO:
Either it's "F off," or "Just buy a new one already!"

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
still could not budge the thing today!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts