Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a slightly newer Camry but after reading your experience, I would look for a rebuild kit if mine malfunctioned. I recently rebuilt my starter and it only cost $17 for a gasket & solenoid rebuild kit. I could have ordered a good reman for >$100 or a new non-OEM for about $80 but now it should last another 10 years (I hope).

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
x2 rebuilding of old alternators, starters, power steering pumps, brake master cylinders and calipers, as the kits from Toyota are cheap, you can expect to get a better quality final product than some random "made in China" part, and no special tools are required and the factory service manual includes all of the instructions as well as the service limits so you can check clearances before reassembly.

However, I also totally agree with gaupoman2000 who said that the power steering pump is a kind of a pain to get to, to remove, on one's own, with simple hand tools, so I get why he took it to a mechanic (and shops won't touch a rebuild job as their labor rates will drive the final cost way more than what a cheap Chinese rebuilt part would have cost).

Norm

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Guys,

Thanks so much for your replies!

Yes, if I knew before hand that there was a gasket kit for my beloved original Power Steering Pump, I would have done this myself or found a shop who were willing to do it and paid! These Rebuilt Power Steering Pumps are GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Unbelievable................

There has been some NASTY distractions on Power Steering items (repairs) that has really bothered me to no end. The good news is that today I canceled the PRO SHOP appointment to replace my Camry's RACK & PINION as it has gone back working like nothing ever happened????

Could it be that the System was not Burped Correctly or Sufficiently (Air)?

The Steering Wheel is just as smooth as can be! Don't understand and I driven it over 100 miles today without any issues and in heavy traffic and with lots of turns, both Right & Left turns!!!

I don't get it!:unsure:

EDIT: The Instrument Cluster Picture represents the 2nd Instrumentation Cluster obtained from a donor car at the Salvage yard.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news, I am expecting an Ugly Hurricane (Dorian) to hit us by Sunday Night in Central Florida and went to SEARS of all places and found a brand new Generator! No one around so, I took advantage!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Great news!
Perhaps that is it, just needed a burp. Keep us posted if it changes.

by the way, rebuilding a steering rack is significantly more involved as the whole subframe has to be dropped to get it out, and some custom tools have to be fabricated to get one disassembled, but the rebuild kit from Toyota is cheap and I bet the effort would be worth it, when the time times (there's a great video on youtube of a guy doing the work and describing how to make the tools, I'm going to try this soon on my super rare SE rack, which me luck)

Norm

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unbelievable................

There has been some NASTY distractions on Power Steering items (repairs) that has really bothered me to no end. The good news is that today I canceled the PRO SHOP appointment to replace my Camry's RACK & PINION as it has gone back working like nothing ever happened????

Could it be that the System was not Burped Correctly or Sufficiently (Air)?

The Steering Wheel is just as smooth as can be! Don't understand and I driven it over 100 miles today without any issues and in heavy traffic and with lots of turns, both Right & Left turns!!!

I don't get it!:unsure:

EDIT: The Instrument Cluster Picture represents the 2nd Instrumentation Cluster obtained from a donor car at the Salvage yard.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news, I am expecting an Ugly Hurricane (Dorian) to hit us by Sunday Night in Central Florida and went to SEARS of all places and found a brand new Generator! No one around so, I took advantage!
Was it a shut down Sears?? Not many left. Or just closed & forgot to put the generator back inside?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Guess I'm 2 days late for you, but to help others: Research your parts thoroughly to save $. Sunsong Power Steering Hose at Amazon Part # 3404450 reservoir to pump hose, is currently available for $35.47 w/ free shipping @ Amazon link. I bought it a few weeks ago, in an attempt to stop all power steering leaks, by replacing all the lines I could find and/or reach. I still have this hose new in front of me, so it's easy for me to hold it up and compare it to user guapoman2000's picture of his original part (as well as mine on my 96 Camry 5SFE).

Mine's currently uninstalled as I may have to junk out my car, so if I do, I'll be sure to sell this to one of you other Users at my cost - but I won't know for weeks or months, so it'll be a while. I didn't install it as other more important, junkyard deadly differential leaks took over my time and in fact is the reason I clicked on this post, "How much is TOO much too keep an old gen3". I'm considering a costly new transmission or differential. My 96 Camry "only "has 215k lol, has virtually no rust to speak of, still looks newish inside and out, except for a few items like a crack in my windshield and a missing sun visor, drives smooth like a cadillac but at 1/3 the gas use, and the ins. is under $16 / mo. liability. That's some of the positives. BUT it's 23 years old, and I know that plastics, rubbers and electronics are all breaking down from time and weather, regardless of usage and miles. And I see deals every other week on newer Camry's that have less age and miles, so it's not like if I give up my current Camry, I'm giving up on Toyotas totally.

Amazon is also a good place to buy Cardone remanufactured parts - cuz some come w/ rebates you get when you send in the core. They have this on various parts including rack and pinion assemblies, that sometimes have rebates up to $100! I recently did this on brake cylinders, and got them $30 off, like this one. Cardone Reman Brake Caliper on Amazon. The quality can be so so though. When one of my calipers was almost free, and it had issues, instead of going through a warranty claim, I just bought another and sent in for another rebate, after confirming they had no limit on the rebate . The checks do take a long time - about 3 months, but I got them all!

Coincidentally, while working on my differential leak, driver side wheel well, my power steering rack also sprung a fast leak somewhere in that area. It leaks onto the sub-frame, so the exact source of the PS leak is not apparent, but it is PS fluid - because it's light yellow, while my oil is dark brown, and my diff. and trans. fluid are the same red Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Like many of you have experienced, even though we had a timing belt changed and oil gaskets replaced at the same time, my engine also leaks oil on the other side, so it's 1 big wet mess underneath, so I'm always cleaning to better troubleshoot issues.

So, I did research and found that replacing the rack and pinion steering is quite hard to get out - but it can be done at home. I've watched a couple different videos of people doing it. Yeah, it would take me like 2 weeks, a lot of swearing and multiple trips to the auto part stores - usually because THEY GIVE ME THE WRONG PARTS - AND CHARGE ME 3 TIMES THE COST AT THE SAME TIME! That's why I usually do part research on rockauto.com and the Internet, look at Toyota dealership websites for part #s and pics if I'm unsure, then buy from Amazon every chance I get. You just have to be very sure that you are buying the right thing, or that you understand the return policy.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Great news!
Perhaps that is it, just needed a burp. Keep us posted if it changes.

by the way, rebuilding a steering rack is significantly more involved as the whole subframe has to be dropped to get it out, and some custom tools have to be fabricated to get one disassembled, but the rebuild kit from Toyota is cheap and I bet the effort would be worth it, when the time times (there's a great video on youtube of a guy doing the work and describing how to make the tools, I'm going to try this soon on my super rare SE rack, which me luck)

Norm
Hello Norm!
Thanks so much for your reply! I personally not engage in any sort of rebuilding job on any RACK because of lacking of tools and expertise. I am good mechanically but, one has to admit their limitations. Ha!

Incidentally, there are lots of suppliers out there providing quality REMAN Racks so, I would go that route.

Such as this supplier:

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Was it a shut down Sears?? Not many left. Or just closed & forgot to put the generator back inside?
Hum..... I don't know what you are trying to say with that bit of, "forgot to put the generator back inside?"

Can you please be more specific?

I believe that I have been very respectful here with everyone and I just don't understand your post and comment.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Guess I'm 2 days late for you, but to help others: Research your parts thoroughly to save $. Sunsong Power Steering Hose at Amazon Part # 3404450 reservoir to pump hose, is currently available for $35.47 w/ free shipping @ Amazon link. I bought it a few weeks ago, in an attempt to stop all power steering leaks, by replacing all the lines I could find and/or reach. I still have this hose new in front of me, so it's easy for me to hold it up and compare it to user guapoman2000's picture of his original part (as well as mine on my 96 Camry 5SFE).

Mine's currently uninstalled as I may have to junk out my car, so if I do, I'll be sure to sell this to one of you other Users at my cost - but I won't know for weeks or months, so it'll be a while. I didn't install it as other more important, junkyard deadly differential leaks took over my time and in fact is the reason I clicked on this post, "How much is TOO much too keep an old gen3". I'm considering a costly new transmission or differential. My 96 Camry "only "has 215k lol, has virtually no rust to speak of, still looks newish inside and out, except for a few items like a crack in my windshield and a missing sun visor, drives smooth like a cadillac but at 1/3 the gas use, and the ins. is under $16 / mo. liability. That's some of the positives. BUT it's 23 years old, and I know that plastics, rubbers and electronics are all breaking down from time and weather, regardless of usage and miles. And I see deals every other week on newer Camry's that have less age and miles, so it's not like if I give up my current Camry, I'm giving up on Toyotas totally.

Amazon is also a good place to buy Cardone remanufactured parts - cuz some come w/ rebates you get when you send in the core. They have this on various parts including rack and pinion assemblies, that sometimes have rebates up to $100! I recently did this on brake cylinders, and got them $30 off, like this one. Cardone Reman Brake Caliper on Amazon. The quality can be so so though. When one of my calipers was almost free, and it had issues, instead of going through a warranty claim, I just bought another and sent in for another rebate, after confirming they had no limit on the rebate . The checks do take a long time - about 3 months, but I got them all!

Coincidentally, while working on my differential leak, driver side wheel well, my power steering rack also sprung a fast leak somewhere in that area. It leaks onto the sub-frame, so the exact source of the PS leak is not apparent, but it is PS fluid - because it's light yellow, while my oil is dark brown, and my diff. and trans. fluid are the same red Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Like many of you have experienced, even though we had a timing belt changed and oil gaskets replaced at the same time, my engine also leaks oil on the other side, so it's 1 big wet mess underneath, so I'm always cleaning to better troubleshoot issues.

So, I did research and found that replacing the rack and pinion steering is quite hard to get out - but it can be done at home. I've watched a couple different videos of people doing it. Yeah, it would take me like 2 weeks, a lot of swearing and multiple trips to the auto part stores - usually because THEY GIVE ME THE WRONG PARTS - AND CHARGE ME 3 TIMES THE COST AT THE SAME TIME! That's why I usually do part research on rockauto.com and the Internet, look at Toyota dealership websites for part #s and pics if I'm unsure, then buy from Amazon every chance I get. You just have to be very sure that you are buying the right thing, or that you understand the return policy.
Hi pentiuman,

You would need to clean up the mess with Brake Cleaner and allow for monitoring like I did.
There is no easy way to detect where the leak is coming from. I would image it be from the PS Pump.

I would highly recommend NOT to do a DIY on the Power Steering Pump or Rack as this job is very messy and very hard as far as access without a Lift.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
735 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hum..... I don't know what you are trying to say with that bit of, "forgot to put the generator back inside?"

Can you please be more specific?

I believe that I have been very respectful here with everyone and I just don't understand your post and comment.
Hey guapoman2000, I'M NOT mmatheny, so I don't speak for them but when you said "went to SEARS of all places and found a brand new Generator! Noone around so, I took advantage!", I read it like you came across a brand new Generator somwhere at a SEARS, looked around, found no one around and took it home.

"found" a brand new Generator?

It's a retail store - they have it out on display.

Colombus found America. You SAW a product out for sale.

"took advantage"? Did you negotiate with someone at the store for a lower price than marked or did you pay the price marked (which was at a heavy discount)?

I really don't care if you did literally what you wrote or not or you are so excited about landing a great deal at Sears that you forgot to phrase your sentence in a more relevant manner but that's my take.

If you actually did what I think you really ended up doing - this is how I would have phrased it:

"So I went to a SEARS, saw a brand new Generator at a great price that they had very limited quantity of and since no one was around to buy it, I bought it right away seeing how great a deal it was and didn't want to risk anyone else buying it"

I have learned from you a lot and continue to, but the way you write a few things is really confusing.

Since you have a wealth of knowledge, it's still worth my time to read and try and comprehend your posts but look at the style of writings of others like BMR or ISB or John (and others).

It's very clear what they are saying and there is much less ambiguity.

I say all of this because I respect and value you and want to give you feedback that will make you a much better communicator.

Ever since my accident I am having to heavily rely on written communication and it has really made me appreciate how valuable being really good at written communication is and can affect people's lives.

$11.86 for a caliper that's cleaned up, hopefully with new boots is a terrific deal!

I spend more than that in just cleaning, primer, paint, boots, 3m lubricant, never mind the cost of the caliper + core the local PnP charges (I think around $30?), valuing my labor at $0/hr, so this is a no brainer!

MUST BUY!

My only concern is the talk about mismatching, out of spec brackets in the Amazon reviews - that does not make sense!

These are Remanufactured Calipers yes?

So they are OEM Toyota parts just cleaned up, yes?

How can there be mismatching, out of spec brackets on these calipers unless they are throwing in after market parts?

If these "Remanufactured" Calipers are NOT Toyota parts, then I'm not interested, so if you have any idea what's going on, I will appreciate any input before I buy a few sets of these.

PS: Does RockAuto offer these rebates? Or is it an "Amazon special"? Boy, Amazon must be killing RockAuto. I have been getting TERRIFIC A+ service from RockAuto, so maybe this is the reason?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope, these specific PS hoses are NOT serviceable. no metal lines underneath the rubber and instead mesh material which caused leaks and loss of pressure.
Actually, the fact that there are no metal lines underneath the rubber is normal. They are rubber hoses crimped onto metal end fittings...a standard hydraulic hose setup. I work in an auto parts store where we repair power steering hoses just like yours all of the time.

The process:
1) Make a note of the angle of orientation of the ends so that when the new hose is put together, the ends point in the right directions for remounting.
2) Use a die grinder to trisect the crimp sleeves and peel them off like a banana skin. This leaves the rubber hose on the inner steel nipple.
3) Use the old rubber hose to measure off the correct length of new hose.
4) We use air conditioning crimp sleeves to put everything back together. Four Seasons produces four basic sizes that cover anything you'd need. Sometimes the center hole where the metal tube goes through has to be drilled out slightly, especially on non-Imperial (metric) pieces like the Toyota. No biggee. Place the sleeve over the hose and slide all of that onto the nipple, making sure to match the original orientation.
5) Crimp it together. Since these are not a "by the book" procedure, we have learned to eyeball things and crimp the sleeve down...just right. That's as tight as possible without cracking the inner nipple. Takes practice, ha!

Since we work with a large crowd of restoration/hot rodder/cheapskate customers (I say that with love cause I'm a cheapskate sometimes), we've done uncountable numbers of these exact kinds of fixes. If you're familiar with the shift from standard to metric fittings on US vehicles in the early '80's, then you'll understand when I say we've done conversion hoses too. Take a later power steering pump (maybe the serpentine style setup?) and place that in a pre-80's vehicle with a standard fitting steering box and you see the need.

Bottom line is that any good hydraulic shop with a can-do attitude will fix these things for you.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hello guys!

First, Like to thank all who have replied and especially
luvmy98camry really appreciate.

Lastly, like to provide some updates!
1. My beloved 1992 Camry XLE is still running and the Power Steering is performing perfectly, like new!

2. I have dodged a big one with Hurricane Dorian and this morning at 4:00am that East Orlando, Florida Are we lucky or what? Those feeder bands are just going around me per what I can see on the Radar! If you look at the attached picture it shows most of the Feeder Bands are missing us completely. Winds are not even 20-MPH sustained. I believe we are in very good shape considering what could have been. Enjoy your Wednesday while I say my GOODBYE to this ugly Hurricane!

Attachments

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
After 532,651 original miles without rebuilt history, the original Rack & Pinion still worked but, it developed a major leak and had observations of strange issues about a week ago. Previously, I had a new Power Steering Pump installed plus inlet supply hose and a new Power Steering reservoir tank. Twice this same PRO SHOP replaced my Power Steering pump under warranty so, instead of ruining another pump on a suspect RACK & PINION, I bit the bullet and had them replace the RACK.

Feast your eyes on some super mechanic's that I have in my area here in Orlando, Florida. This is my go to mechanic when visiting Ruben's Tire and Rim. They have long time mechanics with 25+ years experience and this mechanic took just under an hour to Remove and Replace my 1992 Camry's tired Rack & Pinion. Please don't start saying this can be done at home (DIY) etc...etc... heck it is not easy at all doing this without a lift, period!

A few action shots of today's work!

Attachments

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Guys,

I almost forgot!

In reference to Pricing and/or shopping around for not only the best deal $$$ one has to also ask for how long they back their work such as Warranty!

One Tire Kingdom that I visit quoted me $623.54 for the same job that Ruben's Tire performed yesterday. However, I asked the manager of that Tire Kingdom about the Warranty and he replied one (1) year parts and labor.

Ruben's Tire gives me 3 months labor and 2 years parts warranty.

Based on the fact that I had issues with the Power Steering Pump and they have replaced two (2) pumps already under Parts and Labor warranty, I figured Ruben's deal was better as I have at least two (2) years parts warranty.

Of course I realize that if you did-it-yourself (DIY) most Auto Parts give you a limited Life-Time Warranty and I do for my Quick Struts, however, we are talking about the Power Steering System which to me is a Royal Pain in the ASHE when it comes to removing, replacing and the mess so, reason I selected a PRO SHOP to do it.

As you can see clearly from my previous post I paid a grand total of $480.00 for that large Rack & Pinion job at Ruben's Tire. The beauty of it all is that you can interact with the mechanic as the job is taking place such as long as you don't be a large pain in his backside! They realize I am mechanically knowledgeable and they seen my Brake Job and Quick Strut jobs evident so, they tolerate me.

Just providing some additional insight.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
On Friday early evening and after work, I decided to travel to two Shopping Malls to find out an issue with my I-Phone.

Needless to say my Camry started acting up in heavy Traffic and Engine Quit on me during Idle (Stopped) and in "D" Auto gear. It started right up but, the Engine started to be surging some at low RPMs and for a few seconds exhibited lack of power.

Well, two items that I found......

1. The Throttle linkage bolts were found lose. It was in the bracket cradle but, the cable can be seen to move during activation of the throttle wheel.

2. The Throttle Body was very dirty so, I cleaned it after purchasing Throttle Body Cleaner by CRC.

Both solutions worked like a charm and the Engine response has increased dramatically and idle conditions are rock solid.

A few pics....

Attachments

·
500,000 + Miles
393 Posts
Guapoman, just curious. Have you noticed any oil leaking from the general area of your rear main seal? If that seal is leaking, you would find oil under your engine where the transmission bolts up to your engine. It's really great that your engine and transmission have lasted for so long but almost more amazing that the seal I'm asking about is still hanging in there for you. I'm also racking up the miles on my car and I guess I worry more about that rear main seal more than anything else. I replaced the front main seal since it's fairly easy to access when doing a timing belt job. The rubber parts of the front main seal I replaced were hard and brittle so I just wonder how long my rear main seal will last.
I also wonder how long it will be before I have to ask myself "how much is too much to spend in keeping an old car on the road?" It's fun to see the odometer roll over to the next 10,000-mile mark but at some point repairs will be too much to make sense. Transmission failure would be such a threshold for me and even that rear main seal could be the death toll if it started leaking badly. Just too much labor to pull the engine or transmission to replace that seal.
I'm due for the next timing belt change and will probably also replace the water pump this time since it has been a couple hundred thousand miles now since I last changed it. I'm also thinking of replacing the valve stem seals to see if that will cut down on my oil consumption. For my V6, that means pulling the intake plenum, cam covers, and cams. Also would change the plugs since they would come out anyway. So, your question about how much to spend is very timely for me. I'm pretty sure I am going to do this list of work but it's several hundred dollars and probably two or three evenings of work under the hood. Sure hope nothing big goes out soon after the job!
2000 V6 Solara, 510,000 miles.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Toyota_JP

Engine Read-Main-Seal is tight as a Drum. Every 10th Engine Oil change I use the Bar's Rear Main Seal Additive and it works like a charm!

The only item I have to do again and after perhaps 125,000 miles later is the Automatic (A140E) Pan Gasket as it is leaking a very tiny bit at the rear where the connector is located. This entails to drop the Transmission Pan and clean the metal filter plus clean the magnets. Replace the Gasket (Yes, I know Toyota uses the RTV) but, I have had very good luck using the Rubber Gasket.

Spending $$$ does not hurt me at all because it is still less than buying a newer or NEW car and most payment plans are 6 - 7 years long with a minimum of $450 - $550 per month, depending on how much your down-payment is (remember those days?) or the RIP-OFF on your trade.

As long as you keep up with the maintenance and not Neglect the vehicle like I see many do (not changing Engine Oil) etc... you can avoid costly repairs.

Automatic Transmission is pampered in my hands and I never abuse the Engine or the Transmission. If someone is in a BIG hurry, I welcomed the "YOU ARE NUMBER ONE FINGER SIGNAGE" and wear it with a Badge of Honor. My normal shift is done with the Engine never reaching or going beyond 2,300 - 2,500 RPMs or less and I ease up gradually to my cruising speed. It has to be an emergency should I need to floor it to get out of someone's way but, normally it is Braking to avoid someone's impatient manner and I keep my Rear Drum Brakes CLEAN & ADJUSTED at every Engine Oil Change. The Front Brakes are brand new and I just started to use Ceramic Pads and they are just fantastic.

Believe me, my 1992 Camry XLE with old Cap & Rotor technology still gets 27.5 MPH combined and the worse in the City with Heavy Traffic is 25-MPG. This is considering that my Camry's Engine (5S-FE) still has it's Original - Factory Fuel Injectors and Engine Head is still Original with Factory Valves and Springs.

No Sir, even if the Automatic Transmission goes on mine, I have plans on where to take it and have it rebuilt.

My quest is to find out how long my Camry's Engine will last and I have decided and determined.

Thank you for your post, however.(y)

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
17 Participants
guapoman2000
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing