Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
500,000 + Miles
393 Posts
Thanks for the notes Guapoman! My car is also somewhat babied but I do jump on the gas when I need to pass a Chevy :>)

I checked the cost of a transmission overhaul...roughly 3 grand...so that will probably be the end if the transmission clutch plates give it up before something in the engine dies. I am about to post a new thread to share any interesting notes for some work I am planning soon...timing belt and valve seals.

Keep driving man!

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
$3,000 US Dollars for a Rebuilt Job on a what? A140E, nah!!!!

Even if you have the V-6 it should NOT be that much! What? Gold Plated Parts?

Over here is nothing past $1,400

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Even ordering it from a shop that rebuilds these know that people will call the Salvage Yard Tow Truck to pick up the car before they spend that kind of $$$

A few examples:

Right in my back yard and with 100% Feedback!

·
500,000 + Miles
393 Posts
1,500 is probably about right for the rebuild parts but the shop I checked indicated the labor to get the transmission out and back in is about another grand. The shop I checked has a good reputation so I'm guessing that's pretty fair but probably not rock bottom.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
with an AT that is known for being nearly bulletproof, instead of bothering to rebuild one, if actually worn out, simply buy a used one with 1/2 the miles

There'd still be the R&R costs, but $1000 for an otherwise good running and well kept car is cheap (note the monthly payments for a newer, used car will add up to that in less than 1/2 a year).

·
500,000 + Miles
393 Posts
Clearly lots of options but this is hypothetical since my transmission is still working fine.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
with an AT that is known for being nearly bulletproof, instead of bothering to rebuild one, if actually worn out, simply buy a used one with 1/2 the miles

There'd still be the R&R costs, but $1000 for an otherwise good running and well kept car is cheap (note the monthly payments for a newer, used car will add up to that in less than 1/2 a year).
Norm,
Thanks! My A140E Automatic from a 1993 is still running (shifting great) and it's approaching 500,000 original miles as I type.
II is just amazing how long these items last from GEN3 era as long as you take care of them!

Yes, indeed, I have come across some that are in the 180,000 to 200,000 miles range used and very reasonable with 6 month warranty local salvage yards!

There are rebuilding shops that will do one for $800 with one solid year warranty.

Here are pictures from my Remove & Replace of my Original A140E Automatic during the very HOT Summer days back in JUNE 2000. I must have thrown away 6 T-Shirts!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
"There are rebuilding shops that will do one for $800 with one solid year warranty."

That is an incredibly low price. Heck, a used one will cost about the same, won't it? Since they are so durable, how much ya wanna bet that "rebuild" is: clean the outside & put in a new filter. :)

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
"There are rebuilding shops that will do one for $800 with one solid year warranty."

That is an incredibly low price. Heck, a used one will cost about the same, won't it? Since they are so durable, how much ya wanna bet that "rebuild" is: clean the outside & put in a new filter. :)
Hey Norm,
I searched a few and used at the salvage yards in my area average around $375 with torque converter. Your area might be a different story.

The same with rebuild shops as they vary in location and demand plus rebuild kit part prices to them.

You are welcomed to ask around what a rebuild entails in your area and report back.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I checked the cost of a transmission overhaul...roughly 3 grand...so that will probably be the end if the transmission clutch plates give it up before something in the engine dies. I am about to post a new thread to share any interesting notes for some work I am planning soon...timing belt and valve seals.

Keep driving man!
Okay,

Finally got a response from a Transmission PRO Shop! They are located in South Florida and very reasonable.

Attachments

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Do you happen to have the part number for that hose?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hello!

No I don't and if I did the part numbers like any of these OLD Camry's have been superseeded anyway and I would be given you a bad part number.

I would go or call a trusted Toyota Dealer and give them your VIN and allow them to look it up. It is FREE, they are not going to charge you any $$$.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I was asking for you because I did some checking and one part number that I thought it was, was used on the es300 until 96. Just thought it might be a different way to go. Either at the junk yard with a nice look 96 or online etc

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I was asking for you because I did some checking and one part number that I thought it was, was used on the es300 until 96. Just thought it might be a different way to go. Either at the junk yard with a nice look 96 or online etc

So sorry. I had a number of part numbers but, they all turned out to be superseded so, reason why a call to Dealer is the best thing.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,862 Posts
Hello!

No I don't and if I did the part numbers like any of these OLD Camry's have been superseeded anyway and I would be given you a bad part number.

I would go or call a trusted Toyota Dealer and give them your VIN and allow them to look it up. It is FREE, they are not going to charge you any $$$.

Best of luck!

ES hoses might fit V6 Camrys, not sure...but I think steering system is at least slightly different; my '01 Coach Edition has requires significantly less steering effort than my '99 V6 Camry or my '01 5S Camry.

For parts, for being able to look up yourself:

1. Punch VIN into www.japan-parts.eu to pull up the diagrams your dealer sees.
2. Learn how the parts system is organized, then look up your part.
3. Get your part number, and copy-pasta into any dealer discount site (such as ToCS or McGeorge Toyota, two that I've used in the past). They all use the same backend database that the employee behind the dealer parts counter does, so it will automatically pull up supercessions and show if a part is EoL or not.
Addendum. My experience with dealers, especially big corporate dealers, is that they have policies prohibiting employees from handing out part numbers (more true with American makes than with imports). However, most parts counter guys are not commissioned (at least around here), so it pays to be nice to them and make friends. For example, all my parts guys at nearby dealers, from Toyota to Mercedes to Dodge, snitch to me.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Good Evening Gals & Guys!

Every once in a while we come across very good deals without even paying attention. What I mean is a co-worker that was in my Van Pool Vehicle decided to retire back in early February 2019 and we said our goodbyes but, he asked me if I knew of anyone looking for a dependable transportation as he wanted to sell his Family Vehicle that served him well all these years and have maintained it in excellent conditions. Well, he was only asking $1,000 US and of course I kind of ignored that thinking there must be something wrong with it at that price.

Well, today came complete circle. He contacted me via Text last week saying that he was just sunk more money $$$ on the 2000 Nissan Maxima for a new Alternator, both Cooling fans, Radiator, and most importantly ALL six (6) Ignition Coils for the Engine! I was close to his house while running erands with my family member and I placed his address on the Google Maps APP which took me straight to his house and with luck he was there! He handed me the keys and I went for a test drive and......

WOW....this 3.0 Liter has great power and Automatic Transmission shifts like a Dream. The Fluid came out Pink and clean without any hint of burnt smell. The Maxima has 214,000 original miles - pampered. It is new to me since my 1992 Toyota Camry XLE (Japan made) has 532,681 original miles!

I had a printed Bill Of Sell (Orange County - Florida) and brought a check book all ready filled out to his name just in case I decided to buy it and sure enough my former co-worker was ready as well with Clean Title in hand along with manuals, factory owner manuals and spare parts!

It is unbelievable that I was able to purchase a super nice car (2000 Nissan Maxima) for a cool $1,000 US!

I am not sure what the hell I am going to do with my 1992 Toyota Camry XLE as of yet!

Check out the pictures!

Attachments

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
17 Participants
guapoman2000
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing