Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2013 Camry with the 2.5l engine. I just changed the oil and filter for the first time. The good book says the capacity is 4.6 qt. I did that, started the engine, let it circulate then shut it off for a half hour. The dip stick shows about half way between the full and add markers. So, seems like the capacity to the fill line is more like 5 qt.

Anyone have the same experience?

·
Registered
2014 Camry LE, 2020 Camry Hybrid LE
886 Posts
We have a 2013 Camry with the 2.5l engine. I just changed the oil and filter for the first time. The good book says the capacity is 4.6 qt. I did that, started the engine, let it circulate then shut it off for a half hour. The dip stick shows about half way between the full and add markers. So, seems like the capacity to the fill line is more like 5 qt.

When I did my oil change on my 14 LE (2.5L I4), it also required 5.0 qts to achieve full mark level. Sounds normal to me. My 13 Accord 2.4L I-4 also requires 5.0 Qt. No worries.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,506 Posts

4.6 qts with or without oil filter?
I keep my level just under the "full" and it takes just a bit less then 5 qts.

·
'12CamrySE, '05SiennaLE
111 Posts
I buy 5-quart jugs of Mobil 1 for my oil changes (2012 Camry SE) and put the whole jug in. The dipstick level looks "full" or maybe a tiny bit over full when I do. It's easier than trying to be too precise, and I don't think a tiny bit over full will hurt anything.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
265 Posts
I've put in 4 qts all the time in my old TC: 2.4L when manual said 3.5-3.8. That same puppy drove 236,000 miles without single motor problem.

So my Camry gets 5 qts. It seems to run much quieter when I add in that much compared to 4.6 or whatever the manual states

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I was referring to the capacity, with filter. Thanks folks, you have reinforced what I am experiencing. 5 quarts it is.

·
Registered
2018 Camry XSE 6Cyl.
550 Posts
When I change the oil and filter I let it drain completely, and I have to add the entire jug of Mobil 1 plus another 1/3 quart to get it to reach the full mark. 4.6 quarts my Azz...LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check your owner's manual. It's 5 quarts with oil filter
Matt, the owners manual that Toyota publishes for this 4 cylinder engine specifies 4.6 quarts of oil when replacing the oil and filter....page 476 if you are interested. What manual are you referring to?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Toyota always recommends going by the dipstick reading, not solely by the fluid capacity info in the owners manual. My 2015 4 cyl Camry's dipstick reads FULL if I refill with 4 1/2 quarts if I change the filter with a factory filter. I usually drain overnight for an extra thorough drain and so the oil looks extra clean (almost invisible) after I refill and run the engine for a bit.

·
Registered
'12 Camry SE
58 Posts
5 quarts... You'll burn about 0.15 of quart every 2500. I bet million bucks if you checked at 5k mark; you'll be miss 0.30 of quart that requires small top off. That's why I told customers to do 5k oil changes back in my Toyota tech days.

Wait when you hit over 200k....0.30 of quart is burned through every 1500 miles. Or as I call it "check every 4th fuel fill up & add". Since its dual overhead camshaft motor: low oil level can cause unique transmission shifting that really makes it noticeable. Once you add; my Camry acts like he barely has 5k miles on him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I buy 5 quart jugs and dump in about 4.5 at each oil & filter change. How level the vehicle is both side-to-side and front-to-back could have minor effects on how the level shows up on the dipstick.

I keep that leftover half quart just in case any needs to be added, but so far I have not had to add more before the next change. I use that extra half quart first at the next change and then begin dumping in the stuff that was purchased for that change. FIFO.

I also change mine at 5000 mile intervals, which could contribute to the non-need to add any before the next change. I usually drive about 12,000 miles a year, with quite a bit of highway, but 5 days a week I'm lazy and usually drive the 3/4 mile to work, so with all the super short trips I change it at half the recommended interval.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Toyota always recommends going by the dipstick reading, not solely by the fluid capacity info in the owners manual. My 2015 4 cyl Camry's dipstick reads FULL if I refill with 4 1/2 quarts if I change the filter with a factory filter. I usually drain overnight for an extra thorough drain and so the oil looks extra clean (almost invisible) after I refill and run the engine for a bit.
Change it while it's hot and jack it up for good to the last drop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The oil level in the middle between the upper and lower marks is ideal, it doesn't have to be at the max full mark. My Ford truck is the same way, the book says to put in 7.7 quarts which puts at the top of the cross hatched marks but not at the max fill line. Put in 8 quarts it goes to the max fill line.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

The 4.6 is reference only.
Ideal is full to the top. Use 5 if needed.
Read the manual on how to use a dipstick.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The 4.6 is reference only.
Ideal is full to the top. Use 5 if needed.
Read the manual on how to use a dipstick.
Fill oil, check dipstick next day, fill more if necessary.
The amount of oil is dependent upon how the oil was changed.
Example, I jack up my car as high as the jack goes up to drain every last drop; hence, the amount of oil I used will differ from others.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
As some posts here show, several cant manage the dipstick too well regardless if they are a super master tech or not.

With the engine at operating temperature and turned off, check the oil
level on the dipstick.
■ Checking the engine oil
Park the vehicle on level ground. After warming up the engine
and turning it off, wait more than 5 minutes for the oil to drain
back into the bottom of the engine

Is the vehicle at operating temp after 30 minutes, or after overnight, or after letting cold oil circulate after an oil change?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts