Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...if a Tacoma could haul wood? Seasoned oak (approx 1/2 a cord). It sagged a good bit but drove smooth. Engine wise, you couldn't really tell it was that loaded. Suspension wise was another matter. :eek:

Here's a few pics of it loaded.

My lab Jasper in timeout for eating pieces of wood. :D

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
haha good pics. Silly dogs. Do you have the TSB done? How much was all that wood?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No TSB done. Guy I bought the wood from said it was probably around 1500 pounds. Damn dog was eating wood so I caged him with the bed extender. lol

·
LouCzar
06 Tacoma
193 Posts
this is what Toyota says.... on an 08

Weights and Payload/Towing CapacitiesCurb weight, manual transmission models (lb.) 32003380/3615Curb weight, automatic transmission models (lb.) 3220-/-Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) (lb.) 45505000/5100 Payload [3], manual transmission models (lb.)13501620/1485Payload [3], automatic transmission models (lb.) 1380-/-Tongue load (lb., standard/maximum) 350 350Standard towing capacity (lb.) [5]35003500Maximum towing capacity (lb.) [4], [5]35003500Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) (lb.) -- 4 cyl. 75008000

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Nice. One thing to remember as well is that your truck is a TRD Sport, so it has the slightest softer suspension than what the TRD Off-Road Package-equipped trucks have.
Ive gotta ask how your tailgate held up. They used to have a reputation for bending if you put a lot of weight on them, but from what I understand Toyota fixed that by adding more supports inside of the tailgate.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice. One thing to remember as well is that your truck is a TRD Sport, so it has the slightest softer suspension than what the TRD Off-Road Package-equipped trucks have.
Ive gotta ask how your tailgate held up. They used to have a reputation for bending if you put a lot of weight on them, but from what I understand Toyota fixed that by adding more supports inside of the tailgate.
Tailgate held up fine. I was really worried about it last night when I picked up my offset smoker. That thing weighs about 300 pounds. We had to put the front legs on the tailgate and then push it up into the bed. I was cringing thinking the tailgate was going to crumple. I had luck on my side because it came out just fine.

·
I Like 'Ze Best
2007 TRD Sport
1,722 Posts

This much, and a tire for good measure...
Unfortunately, my tailgate didn't hold up to the largest log being dropped on it....
I've also hauled split wood like you have here, truck runs great with a load like that.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Wow, lots of wood.

That's about how my Taco looked like about a week ago, without the bed extender. But I had a trailer behind it also which carried about 3x of what I was able to fit in the bed. The wood was fresh cut Hemlock (very heavy!).

I have had the spring TSB done, and I'd say mine sagged a little less, even with the extra load.

It was so heavy that that on a hill I barely made it up in second gear (6spd.). The truck got slower and slower towards the top ... but yes, that also was one heck of a hill!!!

You'll have a warm house this winter! :clap:

·
My Other Truck
4,312 Posts
Each of those trucks has a pretty good load on and looks to be holding up quite well. I'm impressed -- I've heard so much about how these trucklets sag too much with a load, but I don't see any problem here. :thumbup:

Haven't put anything heavy in my Tacoma; that's what my old K20 is for! It's carried many a cord of green hardwood, plus a few other things you couldn't carry in a Tacoma... ;)

·
Registered
11 T4r TE
685 Posts
Each of those trucks has a pretty good load on and looks to be holding up quite well. I'm impressed -- I've heard so much about how these trucklets sag too much with a load, but I don't see any problem here. :thumbup:
They are riding on the bumpstops with no rear suspension, while probably at or under the Toyota spec payload.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Seasoned oak (approx 1/2 a cord).
UT06, it is A LOT of wood, but probably still a bit less then 1/2 cord:
http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm
My load a week ago ended up being almost exactly 1 cord (my shed holds that, it's 6x4x5, and it was filled up with two wheel barrows left over). The wood was all split and very nicely stacked in the truck bed, and the trailer hauled about 3x as much (I counted it in wheel barrows when unloading, had to wheel it 100 feet or so, about 40 wheel barrows, 10 from the truck, 30 from the trailer. So nicely stacked, I had about 1/4 cord in the Taco bed, also almost up to the top of the cab, & 3/4 cord in the trailer).

I am just mentioning it in case you had to pay for it .... it's always good to know these little details.

Hey, happy heating! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Are you storing the wood in your garage?

·
Go Sharks!!!
06 tacoma prerunner
1,350 Posts
agreed with the slightly less then 1/2 cord, i've hauled 1/4 cord of wood before and it was a butt load, that looks about 3/8 cord, still a sizable load though, but i'm gonna get some helper springs before i try hauling a 1/4 cord of wood again.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
UT06, looks like a good haul. Here's what had in last weekend. Bit a drive on rough roads delivering, so didn't pile it too high. Was bottoming as it alwasy does w/ a load and PA roads. Going in Monday for the 4 leafs.

·
My Other Truck
4,312 Posts
They are riding on the bumpstops with no rear suspension, while probably at or under the Toyota spec payload.
They are?? There's so little sag, I sure didn't think they'd be on the bumpstops... There's actually just a couple inches or so of rear suspension travel?? Ye Gads :eek: Didn't know that -- I've been under my trucklet many times and never noticed that....

Geez, I've had 3 tons in the bed of my old Chevy without bottoming out. :cool:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This wood is going to be used mainly for cooking. It's seasoned more than the other wood he had and is sold in a pallet-ized form. Which is more than a 1/3 a cord but less than 1/2.

I'm storing it in my garage for a few days until my rack comes in. Then it gets moved to the backyard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts