Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a.k.a., reinforce before you play.

Ok, OS most of you know I run a lifted 4x, nad it is the 4" procomp up front. Anyone ever played with these know that on the good side, they havce a rearward brace. ON the negative side, it is basicailly laser cut sheet metal (maybe 3/16 or 1/4 plate) that has been brake pressed into a boxey "U" channel.

Knowing what I know, I should have sleeed and boxed this peiece eons ago, but was to busy working and playing to give it much after thought.

well, Back in november, after running Cleghorn Ridge Trial, we decide to give 2N17x an attempt. Mind you it is double Black Diamond. Sure enough, one hard attempt too many bent the drop bracket and brace forward.

So I mull ove rthis during the holidays and finally, afer Christmas, drop it off with a fabricator/friend, and request it be straightened and boxed in. "No Problem" he says, and I inform him I will pay for the materials and labor, not wanting him to pucsh off "freebies" fro paying work.

I gave him my timeline fro the piece. 2 weeks later, he has not even touched it. Grmble grumble.

So I remembers I have a spare front brace. I can get it to work as a rearward brace. No problem! ~right~

so i start the install, and find the front diff is not gonna clear this stout piece of Toyota engineering. not wanting to cut into it, I decite to notch that thick nodule of cast iron to clear the brace.

~right~

Start grinding and halfway through to where Iwant to be, I hit openess. Wow, Hollow metal. How useless I thinks. ~wrong~ I t happens to be a channel that gear oil fills to lubricated the pinion bearing. Grumblw Grumble.

So I take the housing down to San Diego, and us ea friends welder to weld a plate over my newly acuired gaping hole. Finito, NO?

Well I went to install it today, and mind you, swapping out the front diff is not an easy task fro one person. But I wretle it in none-the-less. start to install the clearnaces diff. DOH!!! not enough towards the main body to clear my new-used brace.

Now I have a shakedown run tomorrow (Sunday) to work out the kinks and gear usage of my 4.88's (which is what is in my recently installed miscalculation). SO I do what I wanted to not do in the forst place, I notched a perfectly happy and solid brace, to clearance my diff completely.

I have it all together, and we will see what happens on the shakedown run, but goes to show, impatience and not measuring cna lead to twice the work.

BTW, I am still haveing the original straighten and boxed, butneed to take tit to a reliable shop, not a friend. They think that you will wait for ever, even when paying fuill shop labor.

Maybe pice of my handy-work/blunder, when I get back.

Morals:

1) Measure, Measure twice, Even three times.
2) Cannot always count on friends to work within yur timetable
3) Make sure you are prepaired and your trucks is as well, before trying something.

Tired now, g'nite.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
That's really discouraging to someone that's planning an IFS lift soon... :lol:

So, are the brackets in other kits liek a Superlift the same bent sheet metal or are some of them actual steel?

This may be the argument I was looking for to just ify an $800 Superlift kit versus a $600 Procomp.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe sheet metal was misleading, the brace material is just as thick as the stock metal the frame is made of. The issue was that is was never a boxed in piece. I also do not "crawl", I get a runnig start. Need to fix that problem. But an update, the shadetree fix held up today on my shake-down run in Santiago. :thumbup:

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
rivethed,

Is there any chance that you are somehow, even distantly, related to Tim Allen?

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
arr..arr...arrr....oooh ooh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts