Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
How many miles are on your truck? If there is over 100000 you should change it every 3-5 thousand miles and if you are running synthetic you should change every 3000 regardless.
 

·
Registered
1989 Pickup 4WD
Joined
·
586 Posts
I don't put that many miles on my truck, so I change it every 6 months. It ends up working out to be about 1200 miles inbetween oil changes :woowoo:

I use Mobil 1, full synthetic, 10w-30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Ya if you have 56k miles on the truck I would change it every 5000 miles depending on how much you drive. If you get over 100000 miles though you want to start changing it every 3000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
I change mine every 145,000 miles whether it needs it or not.

I only change the filter every other time though to save a few bucks since they are so expensive.

I usually try to use only the best like Wesson but I only buy it when it's on sale. If it isn't on sale then I just get the generic store brand.

Plus my oil is self changing. I check it every six months or so and every time it's exactly four quarts low. Then I add six just as an added preventitive measure.

My buddy says I should add some sand or speedi dry to it so it won't leak but I think that would just clog the filter faster and make it necessary for me to change the filter EVERY oil change. I don't think I want to spend that kind of money. It might quiet the valves down a little though so maybe I'll give it a try.

What do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
maxpower_hd said:
I change mine every 145,000 miles whether it needs it or not.

I only change the filter every other time though to save a few bucks since they are so expensive.

I usually try to use only the best like Wesson but I only buy it when it's on sale. If it isn't on sale then I just get the generic store brand.

Plus my oil is self changing. I check it every six months or so and every time it's exactly four quarts low. Then I add six just as an added preventitive measure.

My buddy says I should add some sand or speedi dry to it so it won't leak but I think that would just clog the filter faster and make it necessary for me to change the filter EVERY oil change. I don't think I want to spend that kind of money. It might quiet the valves down a little though so maybe I'll give it a try.

What do you guys think?
I change mine every 145,000 miles whether it needs it or not...... YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL EVERY 145000 Miles. I didnt know that your truck could last that long without an oil change lol!
 

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
Joined
·
1,110 Posts
I finally figured out a system for this that even I can remember...

Whenever I see a 3, 6, or 9 in the 4th number from the right (Not counting the 10ths... :rolleyes: ) in my odometer I change the oil...

My changes are so infrequent in my truck now that I had trouble remembering to do it until I figured out that little trick...

Technically I try to shoot for 33xx, 66xx, and 99xx, but who's counting?
 

·
rookie
Joined
·
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ovrrdrive, your one of those guys that has a pipe in his mouth, goofy round glasses, phat mustace, scarf , and leather driving gloves arent you?
 

·
Registered
91 Camry V6 LE
Joined
·
361 Posts
not very often i was once driving the car with no oil which was weird and it sounded like it has one of those mufflers on those damn honda's. it was cool until i found out i had no oil LOL usually once or twice a year..depends
 

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
Joined
·
1,110 Posts
pee_cup said:
ovrrdrive, your one of those guys that has a pipe in his mouth, goofy round glasses, phat mustace, scarf , and leather driving gloves arent you?

It's you're idiot...

:lol:
 

·
rookie
Joined
·
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
!!!!!! and just today I was thinking about how retarded it was when people misuse your and you're, im an @hole:bash: :wiggle:
 

·
7MGTE/22RE
Turbo Supra
Joined
·
431 Posts
Big Flick said:
How many miles are on your truck? If there is over 100000 you should change it every 3-5 thousand miles and if you are running synthetic you should change every 3000 regardless.
that doesn't make any sense... synthetic oil lasts longer than dyno oil. (true synthetic, mobile 1 isn't a true synthetic anymore)

MOBIL 1- It's a Group III hydrocracked mineral oil.

that being said, i use Castrol German 0W-30 along with NAPA/wix filters (proven to be the best aside from brands like Canton).

don't tell me that 0w30 is too thin until you do some real, solid research.

i change my oil every 6k miles, filter at 3k miles.

i don't understand why you say to change synthetic at 3k regardless. if anything, you should change regular dyno oil at 3k regardless. a true synthetic will outlast a dyno oil, bar none.

-shaeff
 

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
Joined
·
2,434 Posts
I figure about twice a day or so

But in My truck it happens when I think about it. I try for 4000 miles or so but sometimes it probably goes to 6000.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top