Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
also do I have to buy the coolant from Toyota/their brand, or is their a brand at the local auto stores that is safe to use for my car? My coolant is not green but a orange/brown color.

(edit: called mr tire, they said it should be done at 100k miles. I have 60k miles on there now, but the car is 8 yrs old. he said its due to be done because of age?)

·
イリジウム
11,666 Posts
Orange/brown is not the correct color. Someone messed with it before?

Initial fill is 10yrs 100k miles. Then I think it’s 5yr/50k.

You can find Zerex Asian at $14/gallon at Walmart. Or google Pentofrost A4. Both like the dealer Pink are pre-mixed.

Conservatively drain/refill at 4 years. If DIY you save.

Dealer uses a machine that exchanges over 90% of the fluid. But IMO if it’s orange/brown I’d flush it all out. you’ll have to use a concentrate coolant that Pep Boys used to carry if doing a distilled water flush. Not sure if Pep Noys still has it.

If you don’t know how then maybe let the dealer do this one. Or learn yourself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i need to do this on mine... how easy can it be?

if i 1. turn off the engine
2. drain fluid (from bottom of radiator?)
3. flush with distilled water, fill with it, idle with distilled water too to circulate?
4. drain fluid,add some red and top up with some 50/50?

no filters to change here?

·
Super Moderator
5,271 Posts
i need to do this on mine... how easy can it be?

if i 1. turn off the engine
2. drain fluid (from bottom of radiator?)
3. flush with distilled water, fill with it, idle with distilled water too to circulate?
4. drain fluid,add some red and top up with some 50/50?

no filters to change here?
There is a petcock to drain the fluid out of the cooling system.

When you add distilled water, run the engine and turn the heater on full blast. Should only run for a few minutes.

Then drain the distilled water. The coolant and distilled water should contain some of the old coolant. The goal is to remove as much of the old coolant as possible.

Are you going to use Toyota extended life concentrate? Or just a 50/50 premix?

When I did this service on my 06 Corolla, I only cycled one round of distilled water then refilled my system.

·
3,514 Posts
As for an entire "flush", there are a few options. You can find the engine drain and drain it out then pour more coolant down the thermostat opening into the block. I did that with my new rebuilt for the Camry since it had no fluids in it.

Or, the method I started to use: just buy concentrate and mix in distilled. Buy about 3-4 gallons of concentrate, same distilled, and make the 6-8 gallons of fluid. Drain the radiator, remove the t-stat (so fluid flows no matter the temp), fill the radiator, and run the engine a bit. That will circulate coolant through the block into the radiator no matter the operating temp. Drain, refill, repeat. Do that for your 6-8 gallons. Costs a bit more as you are throwing away some OK coolant in the end, but when the interval is every 4-5 years, not a big deal.

I have done the whole flush with distilled until clear comes out then back fill with coolant, but it gets tricky to get the 50/50 blend right. With the t-stat in you have to run to temp so it opens up and circulates, then you can't open the rad cap for a bit, on and on. 4 gallons of concntrate runs about $80 some odd dollars from Pep Boys. Add another $4 for distilled water. Divide that by 4 years (say) and it costs you around $20 some odd bucks a year. Cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts