Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· just a nobody
Echo
9,852 Posts
got quoted from Chevron, which has a pretty reputable service station. Car has 146k miles, has been leaking a little pink stuff, and some oil, has been starting with a little screech turning over. (Mom’s car, she lagged on getting timing chain replaced— )
Can I ask how much do you want to be involved?
Do you want to learn something about cars?
Reason for asking, unless you want to learn something about cars, and willing to do some basic diagnose steps, there isn't much we can tell you with the situation, except maybe get a 2nd opinion!

· just a nobody
Echo
9,852 Posts
I advise against tearing anything apart!
So are saying that you want to get involved with the repair work on the vehicle?
First off, why are you removing the valve cover for? You haven't even tell us what is wrong with the vehicle, just those codes alone? Or because the Chervon station tells you that it needs timing chain replacement.
If you want to do it properly, tell us more about the vehicle.
There are certain diagnostic steps to be done before taking things apart.
The reason for that, those codes alone do not indicate that the engine has any mechanical issues, they simply meant the ECU wasn't seeing the changes in the camshafts' timing, when it commands them to advance. That could be cause by different reason, from low oil level, low oil pressure or some electrical malfunctions.

· just a nobody
Echo
9,852 Posts
OK, got the picture now; you want to be involved but not physically. Nothing wrong with that.
My suggestion would be learnt a little bit about the vehicle you are dealing with, so you will have some ideal on the repairs that are recommended to you or your mom.
Each person has his/her own way of taking care of his/her vehicle; however, if you know about the vehicle you are dealing with, you would know when someone is telling you a bunch of BS.
Just saying!

Just a little something about the water pump on the Sienna:

· just a nobody
Echo
9,852 Posts
Dude, I haven’t been driving it, thought I’d take peak under the hood ( not that I can access the parts they said need to be replaced)
Checked the oil just for shits, bone dry.
They “changed” the oil a month ago. Dude drained it and forgot to put new oil in!!!
How responsible are they for all these new issues?
As long as we know what you want to do and where you stand, we can provide suggestions. Whichever way you go is entirely up to you.
Same Chevron station did the oil change? How many miles since the oil change? Did you take a peek under the car to see if the oil leak is coming from the drain plug?
Has the engine oil warning been coming on?
If they didn't put oil back into the engine, the warning light would have came on immediately.
If not oil was shown on the dip stick, that would defintely explain those engine codes; low oil level.

There is a good chance if you fill the engine oil back up and clear those codes, they probably won't return. Record the quantity of oil that you put in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts