Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Toyota Camry XSE
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question to those of you have had a Toyota lease... I leased a Camry XSE from Toyota (TFS) and have a few months left on the 3-year lease, but it looks like I will be around 2000 miles over the lease allowance of 30,000 miles. Toyota charges $0.15 / mile excess, so that's around $300 extra I will have to pay.. but I heard from many folks that Toyota is generally relaxed when you're over by a small number of miles and they forgive you. Has anyone had that experience? how strict are they if I'm 1000-2000 miles over?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It really depends what dealership you go to and don't worry you don't have to return to the one you got it from. Speaking as a former salesman at a Toyota dealership there they would make it seem like they were very relaxed about the whole mileage thing but that would really only come into play as a negotiation tactic for you to get into another vehicle whether it be a purchase or another lease. So let's say you don't want to do any more business with them and just drop the car off in call it A-day you're going to have little to no luck as you will be paying for the extra mileage among any other damages or scratches or what not.
My best friend had least a 2017 Camry and at the end of 20th 18 he came in with only 26000 miles on it which was way less than what he signed up for and wanted to purchase a truck that we had and with as much power as we had to give him a good deal on it unbeknowns to me they sent him a bill for minor wear and tear on the car that we had already discussed and acknowledge prior to giving it to him.
Take what you will from this and I'm sure a lot of people have different perspective and views on this however I feel no remorse sharing the way Toyota deals with their customers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
straight cash homie
19,630 Posts
I did lease terminations as a temporary employee for TFS over a decade ago, and if the mileage was just a bit over but not outrageous, I could get the manager to sign off on it and there would be no penalty to the lease customer.

·
Registered
'18 Toyota Camry XSE
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did lease terminations as a temporary employee for TFS over a decade ago, and if the mileage was just a bit over but not outrageous, I could get the manager to sign off on it and there would be no penalty to the lease customer.
Yes, this is what I heard! I just wonder what the "just a bit over" is ... I guess there is no guideline figure, it all depends on the dealership, but I'm thinking that under 1000 should be OK ;-)

Thank you!

·
straight cash homie
19,630 Posts
Yes, this is what I heard! I just wonder what the "just a bit over" is ... I guess there is no guideline figure, it all depends on the dealership, but I'm thinking that under 1000 should be OK ;-)

Thank you!
Yes definitely talk to the salesguy who does your lease return. When I worked temporarily for TFS, it was at one of their many branch offices, and we did them for dealers strictly in our servicing area (northern Los Angeles Toyota & Lexus dealers). Since then, the office I temp'd at moved some departments such as lease term to Arizona as many operations consolidated systemwide (This way, Toyota didn't really lay off people, they make you move or take a buy out).

·
Registered
'18 Toyota Camry XSE
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes definitely talk to the salesguy who does your lease return. When I worked temporarily for TFS, it was at one of their many branch offices, and we did them for dealers strictly in our servicing area (northern Los Angeles Toyota & Lexus dealers). Since then, the office I temp'd at moved some departments such as lease term to Arizona as many operations consolidated systemwide (This way, Toyota didn't really lay off people, they make you move or take a buy out).
So I know that I will get away with being 1000 miles over if I'm getting into a new lease with Toyota... but after this Camry my plan is to actually consider either a Hybrid CR-V or a RAV4 Prime as I'm feeling left out (everyone is getting SUVs around me and I'm still in a Sedan). If it's a CR-V, then I'm worried, they will try to bill me for even being 5 miles over lol

·
straight cash homie
19,630 Posts
So I know that I will get away with being 1000 miles over if I'm getting into a new lease with Toyota... but after this Camry my plan is to actually consider either a Hybrid CR-V or a RAV4 Prime as I'm feeling left out (everyone is getting SUVs around me and I'm still in a Sedan). If it's a CR-V, then I'm worried, they will try to bill me for even being 5 miles over lol
If Honda wants your business, they'd better to be willing to make the customer happy as well as Toyota.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would bet theres not a clear definition on mileage tolerance as its likely based on a number of factors. How did you return the car; was it clean, mostly free of scratches, dents or damage? Does it have all maintenance completed as expected? Are you going to reup on another Toyota product? etc

Oddly I always avoided lease turn ins but bought one last year based on strict tolerance they have for those turn in's per dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts