Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2000 tundra sr5 4x4........and when i get out the seat belt doesnt really retract, it just lays there, but if i pull it through the support by my head it retracts fine, it just doesnt have enogh strength to pull it through there, how do i tighten the spring?

I popped off the cover and looked at the belt and the spring but it was covered with plastic and i couldnt get it off, there was also a canister attached to it that said explsive material that seemed to have been spent:eek:

·
Old Fart
2002 Corolla LE
910 Posts
Finally !! I got so fed up with my seat belt being so " WEAK IN THE RETRACTION DEPARTMENT !!! "

I decided to take my Dremmel with a small Fiber grinding wheel on it and ground about an 1/6th of an inch off the top of the belt guide that the belt runs through. What is happening ( I am sure it is common to all the Tudras ) is that the GAP that the belt has to run through is too DAM TIGHT !!! Causing a lot of friction thus causing and creating a very SLOW RETRACTION SITUATION !!!

Let me tell ya guy's this worked awesome for me !!!! Now; when I remove my seatbelt it retracts so fast I cant even keep up with it !!!!!! Believe me this was so fustrating for me anyway, everytime I tried to get out of the truck when I was in a hurry or whatever the DAMM SEATBELT would Retract SOOOOOO SLOW !!!! Or not retract at all I would have to help it !!!!

All I have to say guy's is " be very carefull " when you perform this Great Mod !!! If the Dremmel touches the seatbelt ONCE it will cut through it or fray the nylon cording, THUS MAKING THE SEATBELT JUNK, AND AN EXPENSIVE MISTAKE !!!! BE CAREFULL !!!

What I did was to stuff the belt over to one side of the guide as much as I could and then, jam a small screwdriver through the gap to both hold the belt to one side and also to protect it !! Then proceed to grind ( pretty much melts the plastic ) about a 1/6th of the ( upper Portion only ) of the guide to open up the gap to about an 1/8th to 3/16th's wide. Then reverse this proceedure and shove the belt over to the already ground out area, (now with a lot more room to place the belt) and grid out that upper part in this area as well. This gives the belt a lot more of an area to run through this gap without picking up friction from the upper part of the guide and really lets the belt run more freely !!

I HOPE THIS MOD HELPS ALL WHO SUFFER FROM THE DROOPY SEATBELT SYNDROME !!!!!!

·
Registered
2000 Tundra SR5 4DR 4X4 V8
7 Posts
Finally !! I got so fed up with my seat belt being so " WEAK IN THE RETRACTION DEPARTMENT !!! "

I decided to take my Dremmel with a small Fiber grinding wheel on it and ground about an 1/6th of an inch off the top of the belt guide that the belt runs through. What is happening ( I am sure it is common to all the Tudras ) is that the GAP that the belt has to run through is too DAM TIGHT !!! Causing a lot of friction thus causing and creating a very SLOW RETRACTION SITUATION !!!

Let me tell ya guy's this worked awesome for me !!!! Now; when I remove my seatbelt it retracts so fast I cant even keep up with it !!!!!! Believe me this was so fustrating for me anyway, everytime I tried to get out of the truck when I was in a hurry or whatever the DAMM SEATBELT would Retract SOOOOOO SLOW !!!! Or not retract at all I would have to help it !!!!

All I have to say guy's is " be very carefull " when you perform this Great Mod !!! If the Dremmel touches the seatbelt ONCE it will cut through it or fray the nylon cording, THUS MAKING THE SEATBELT JUNK, AND AN EXPENSIVE MISTAKE !!!! BE CAREFULL !!!

What I did was to stuff the belt over to one side of the guide as much as I could and then, jam a small screwdriver through the gap to both hold the belt to one side and also to protect it !! Then proceed to grind ( pretty much melts the plastic ) about a 1/6th of the ( upper Portion only ) of the guide to open up the gap to about an 1/8th to 3/16th's wide. Then reverse this proceedure and shove the belt over to the already ground out area, (now with a lot more room to place the belt) and grid out that upper part in this area as well. This gives the belt a lot more of an area to run through this gap without picking up friction from the upper part of the guide and really lets the belt run more freely !!

I HOPE THIS MOD HELPS ALL WHO SUFFER FROM THE DROOPY SEATBELT SYNDROME !!!!!!
Do you happen to have a picture of what it looks like after you did the mod?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts