Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my timing belt and the car drives fine I just wanna check to make sure the timing is as good as its gonna get.

I have a timing light just not sure where the cps is, I haven't really looked either but I'm sure someone on here can help me out.

thanks

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,614 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh sorry I have a 98 camry 5sfe with coilpacks. So I'm looking or the cps I guess to adjust it but where is it.

thanks

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Oh sorry I have a 98 camry 5sfe with coilpacks. So I'm looking or the cps I guess to adjust it but where is it. thanks
Are you talking about Crankshaft Position Sensor? I dont think there is any adjustment on that? the timing for the coilpacks there is no adjustment either. Could you be more specific on what you are trying to adjust? I could just not be understanding correctly :ugh3:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the timing belt and I had to reset the timing to tdc and I just wanted to make sure everything was in spec. Usually you can put a timing light on the car and adjust the crank position sensor until the light flashes on the right timing notch. So I will Know that the car is at 10btdc like the other guy posted

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
I changed the timing belt and I had to reset the timing to tdc and I just wanted to make sure everything was in spec. Usually you can put a timing light on the car and adjust the crank position sensor until the light flashes on the right timing notch. So I will Know that the car is at 10btdc like the other guy posted

Oh okay, and that guy was me . lol:thumbsup:

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
don't even bother with a timing light :) it's a piece of too advanced device for a 5s-fe hehe :lol:

just make sure that when crankshaft is aligned to 0 TDC (on lower timing belt cover), then your camshaft's "S hole mark" (hehe please no comments) is aligned to a v-notch on the bearing cap. if that setting holds every 2 turns (720 degrees) of crankshaft then you are golden. no other adjustments are necessary down there.

to make it more clear, please refer to an Engine Mechanical I4 manual from:
www.camrystuff.com (select gen4).

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
yeah fenixus just finished changing a timing belt too :)

And I've never heard of adjusting a crank sensor to adjust ignition timing? Im not trying to be a jerk.. I just know that Crankshaft sensors are used to monitor the position or rotation of the crankshaft. They control the management and ignition of the vehicle but I've only heard of checking resistance to see if its within spec or bad, not adjusting it to adjust the ignition timing?

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
yeah fenixus just finished changing a timing belt too :)

And I've never heard of adjusting a crank sensor to adjust ignition timing? Im not trying to be a jerk.. I just know that Crankshaft sensors are used to monitor the position or rotation of the crankshaft.
I actually re-used the old belt (only 13k miles on it, it's OEM), was only changing the the tensioner and spring and additionally replacing the lower TB cover which was terribly busted since I got the car. I messed up the timing in the process of replacing the tensioner, so I had to reset it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Huh well thats new to me sorry Ive owned nothing but mk3 supra's and this is my first car outside of that and on the supra you can adjust the timing by cps for turbo models and distributer for NA models well I guess its fine then thanks for the help anyways guys.

thanks

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
no problem, have a good one around here :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts