Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like a big bonehead, I ruptured one of the two coolant lines just forward of the passenger side rear wheel well (by putting the scissor jack in the wrong place....)

I was able to replace the broken piece of metal tubing, and not more than a quart or so off anti-freeze was all that the resevoir would take.
When I started up the Sienna, I didn't leave off the radiator cap.....

Okay the problem symptoms -

I couldn't get any hot air out of the heater for a long time while just having the car idle, so I took it for about a 4 mile drive.
I eventually got some blasts of warm air, but not for long and I noticed the temp guage was fluctuating.
Drove back to my house and parked and noticed the temp guage was starting to shoot up so shut off the Sienna.

There's no leaks in the system that I can see, and it was working fine before I broke and replaced the section of line at the rear passenger wheel area, so I'm thinking that there's probably air in the cooling system?

Anyone know the procedure to blled the air out, and/or location of the blleed valves?
Also - any ideas on whether it might be something else causing the symptoms?

In the mean time, tonight I'll try putting the car on an incline with the front end higher than the back and run with the radiator cap off and see what happens...

· Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
38,639 Posts
In the mean time, tonight I'll try putting the car on an incline with the front end higher than the back and run with the radiator cap off and see what happens...
Based on the circumstances you described, that would be a worthy effort. Park with the front end higher than the rest of the cooling system, and then let it run for at least 30 minutes with the cap off and the heat on. Once it's warmed up lightly squeeze the bottom radiator hose to help burp the air out.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
figured I'd update....

The air bleed is actually right on the left top side of the coolant resevoir.

I ended up adding almost a gallon of coolant (must have lost more than I thought) - and it took a long time to get it in - almost an hour....pour a little in, squeeze the hoses to force air out and let the coolant level go down, repeat and repeat again...

Bottom line -everything is working fine now....

Next up is a possible rear wheel bearing change....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.