Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 4wd Taco 4d
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VEHICLE IN VIDEO: 2006 4wd 4D Toyota Tacoma

I got a flat tire and a high def camcorder, plus I'm a forum-using dude that likes to make vids in my spare time. Good mix !
When I got the flat, I couldn't find any slam-dunk writeups or videos, so I made one my damn self.

I didn't find a maintenence or tire/wheel section so please move this post if necessary, if not disregard.

Tricky Parts: releasing spare, knowing correct jack point. Jack point just didn't seem right, but after re-reading the manual 20 times, i'm convinced I did it in the right place. At the end of the day, my tire was swapped out.

I designed this video to be a sticky, but if not, then I hope it lives on in the search function of toyotanation. I hope this video helps people, because it took me way too long to swap out this tire. Luckily I was at home, but if I were stranded somewhere or at night this could have gotten rough. Cuz

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice vid. You forgot the part where the rim is frozen to the hub and you have to beat it with a sledge hammer and a piece of wood to knock it loose. Of course this is followed by the part where you realize your spare tire is low on air and you now have to find a place to fill it.

One note though, you should tighten the lugs in a star pattern not in a circle, at least that's they way I was instructed and always done it.

·
Registered
2006 4wd Taco 4d
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I think it will be a helpful video for people that are about to go tackle the project. I had never swapped a tire on a truck before, so I assure you, this video is heavily edited :)

regarding tightening the lugs in a star pattern, many people have caught this, so I added a note during the video when i'm tightening the lugs to do it in a star pattern. It makes sense.

The main funky parts as I mentioned are jack point and releasing spare. can't believe you have to jack on a round surface, that is crazy, and it's what the manual says. I was very surprised, but it did work. Preventing rollback is another thing, I actually may buy some chocks and just have em in my truck bed always. because on a hill, this would've been a beotch.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I notice both sandbags are "behind" the FL and RR tires. Assuming only 2 what's preventing the truck from rolling forward?

·
Registered
2010 Venza, 2007 MDX
143 Posts
Booyah - your timing couldn't be more perfect. My son is leaving for college next week in his 2008 PreRunner. Although I had him change a tire when the car was new, that was two years ago, and he's never had to do it for real.

He just sat down a watched your video. He even saved the link under his "favorites".

Great job with the video, and a big "Thank you" from his mom and me.

·
Registered
'06 Tacoma PreRunner
527 Posts
Try it with the front tire, when mine was flat the jack couldn't go high enough to get the wheel off the ground !

·
Registered
'06 Tacoma PreRunner
527 Posts
^^I followed the Owner's Manual and placed the jack under the frame side rail. I now drive around with two blocks of 2x4s. Where did you place the jack ?

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
I put mine right under the LCA, As close to the joint as possible (There are two holes punched in the metal. I try to have atleast one of the "bumps" on the top of the jack in the larger of the two holes). This probably isn't the safest location because there isn't much to keep the jack from sliding around, but I loosen all the lug nuts prior to jacking up the truck and I am careful not to jostle the truck too much until the spare is on with the lug nuts finger tight just incase the truck falls off the jack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts