Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,
Can someone help me with the instructions on how to change the oil and oild filter of my 1994 Corolla 4 door Sadan (4 Cyl).

Please also let me know which oil to use and how often.

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
92 Corolla Sedan
145 Posts
ok you will need a 14mm socket wrench or box wrench, lift the car and remove the drain plug on the oil pan and let the oil drain into a bucket/catch pan, once most or all the oil is out put the plug back in (be sure to check the little gasket around the plug first if it is falling appart you should replace it by the next change) then tighten it down till its tight dont over or under tighten it but tighter than hand tight, then reach under the manifold and try to twist off the filter, it should come right off but if it doesnt its a good idea to invest in a oil filter wrench or strap wrench and then thread down the new one, if it is a 4afe it takes about 3.7 qts oil 7afe's take about 4qts i suggest that you use 10-w40 you can use anything from crap mineral oil to fully sinthetic just depends on how much you want to spend,
after you add the oil run the car for about 30sec check for leaks then check the dipstick by pulling it wiping it then stick it back in and pull it if the dipstick oil level is between L and F then you are good if it is above F you put too much in and will have to drain a little, if it is barely on the dipstick then add about a .5 qts and check it again

i would change the oil every 3k-5k depending on how you drive and how much and be sure to get the car up to running heat for at least 15min every week (if not every day)

learning how to change your own oil is a great start to loving your car more and knowing more about it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changing Oil 1994 Corolla

Hi there,

Just picked up a used '94 Corolla. Like to change the oil myself, but having a hard time figuring out how to get to the oil filter, which is under the exhaust manifold. I don't have access to a lift -- do I need jack stands or ramps to get to the filter, or am I missing something? Seems I'd have to jack up both front and back, too, since the drain plug is at the front of the pan, so if I only raise the front end, the oil won't drain from the pan properly.

Thanks!
Dave in Minnesota

ok you will need a 14mm socket wrench or box wrench, lift the car and remove the drain plug on the oil pan and let the oil drain into a bucket/catch pan, once most or all the oil is out put the plug back in (be sure to check the little gasket around the plug first if it is falling appart you should replace it by the next change) then tighten it down till its tight dont over or under tighten it but tighter than hand tight, then reach under the manifold and try to twist off the filter, it should come right off but if it doesnt its a good idea to invest in a oil filter wrench or strap wrench and then thread down the new one, if it is a 4afe it takes about 3.7 qts oil 7afe's take about 4qts i suggest that you use 10-w40 you can use anything from crap mineral oil to fully sinthetic just depends on how much you want to spend,
after you add the oil run the car for about 30sec check for leaks then check the dipstick by pulling it wiping it then stick it back in and pull it if the dipstick oil level is between L and F then you are good if it is above F you put too much in and will have to drain a little, if it is barely on the dipstick then add about a .5 qts and check it again

i would change the oil every 3k-5k depending on how you drive and how much and be sure to get the car up to running heat for at least 15min every week (if not every day)

learning how to change your own oil is a great start to loving your car more and knowing more about it

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
This thread is 4yrs old, please start your own thread next time.

To answer your question, you need to do it from under the car as it's a little easier; I've taken my filter off from the side before and it wasn't easy as there wasn't much room especially on a GTS but it is do-able, get a filter wrench or just stick a screw driver right through it and turn it, you're throwing it out anyways. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts