Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am troubleshooting my 2000 Camry LE for CEL - code P0401. From scanner I know it is EGR related. I checked EGR valve by pulling vacuum directly and it is OK. So the problem is on modulator or VSV. I tried pull vacuum to the two ports on the VSV simultaneously to see if it could hold vacuum -according to one internet post. The vacuum would slowly drop to 0 in about 2 min. Does this mean the VSV is bad? Also how do I check the modulator is bad? I only have a small vacuum pump loaned from Autozone. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I suggest you just change the VSV for EGR. To my experience, if you have checked EGR and modulater, which are easier to check. it should be the VSV problem. when I took it off and tested it, everything is ok. But after I put a new one on it, the "check engine" light (P0401) was gone forever. I think probably it will be malfunction when temperature is high or other working conditions' reasons. You can purchase it from rockauto.com for about $60-70.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I suggest you just change the VSV for EGR. To my experience, if you have checked EGR and modulater, which are easier to check. it should be the VSV problem. when I took it off and tested it, everything is ok. But after I put a new one on it, the "check engine" light (P0401) was gone forever. I think probably it will be malfunction when temperature is high or other working conditions' reasons. You can purchase it from rockauto.com for about $60-70.
I just checked RockAuto and was unable to find the VSV for the EGR. Might it be called something else?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts