Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rkraft
1998 Tacoma
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 Tacoma Extended cab, 2WD. The previous owner must have chained smoked something horrible because I can't get the smell out.

I've been told that some vehicles have a Cabin Air Filter and was wondering if my vehicle might have one as well. If so, can anyone tell me WHERE it's located? I don't have a manual for the vehicle, but plan on getting one, but in the mean time it would really help my stomach to be able to change out that filter IF it has one!

Thanks!

Rod
[email protected]

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma
217 Posts
Try shampooing the upholstery and headliner. This should get the "smoky bar" out. I don't believe your truck has the in-cabin air filter. Bob

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
Rod, first of all welcome to TN.com! Second, when starting a new thread please, please, please, please type a question/concern you have as the thread title. There's nothing more irritating than doing a search and having a crapload of thread titles like "1998 Tacoma", "need help", "got a question" etc. This makes it that more difficult when searching through threads for help.

Thread has been moved to the detailing forum.....

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
One more thing, 95.5-2000 Tacos don't have a cabin air filter, the later models did, but I can't recall what year though.

·
WheelinIdaho
1997 Tacoma Reg cab
306 Posts
You're probably not gonna like this too much.
I smoke. And, I get bored and randomly take things apart. I've had my dash apart a few times, and noticed a fair build-up of brown gunk in the duct-work for the climate control.
I figure the dirt is sticking to the tar from the cigarrettes.
If you have the time and patience, I'd recommend pulling the ducts out & flushing them (maybe soaking?) with simple green or another similar cleaner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
here what my wife did when she bought a car from a chain smoker,she put a bowl of vinegar with a piece of bread in the vinegar in the car.left it there for 2 days,with the windows up.got rid of smoke smell,took a week to get rid of the vinegar smell though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Rkraft,

Welcome! I have cleaned a few Smokey cars in my time. What I would suggest doing first is removing anything loose out of the Interior. (Floor mats, trash...Ext) Shampoo the carpets and steam the Headliner and seats if able. I have always used Febreze it Works awesome. While the carpets are still a tad bit wet, spray the Febreze all over them and then vacuum. I usually towel try (rub the carpet) after the vacuum just to help pull out the rest of the moister and smell. Do the same for the Floor mats. Spray the seats and headliner with the Febreze and the wipe down with a towel. But like monkeee2002 said your duct system might need to be cleaned. That’s only if it was really bad though.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

·
Registered
31 Posts
shampoo your truck, make sure you clean the headline, usually an all purpose cleaner will do, then bring it to your local detailer and see if he's got a ozone generator, try that.

·
Registered
Toy Taco Prerunner
104 Posts
I hate cigarette smell odor.

But stragely, I like the small of pipe tobacco, especially the unsmoked cherry cavendish.

Reminds me of the old timey folks I was raised around, when my dad who was in the first cavary in Fort Hood Texas, used to hang around with, at military base bowling alleys.

·
Registered
80 Posts
1. remove carpet-seats etc.
2. wet carpet and mats with hose
3. sray degreaser on carpet and mats
4. use a stiff scrb brush and scrub the fire out of them
5. rinse them off well
6. hang up to dry
7. use degreaser on a wet rag and wipe down everything inside.
8. even take out the vents and clean inside the a/c vent tunnel
9. when the mats and carpet are dry reinstall
10. scrub down seats with a wet rag and some good seat cleaner
11. let dry and hit them with some febreeze
12. get a vanilla airfreshener trees are good but the skoal can one is best.

It takes a little time and effort but you will have the cleanest interior for miles. I have done it on many cars/trucks and it is worth it.

Couch Potatos do not attempt.

·
Registered
Toy Taco Prerunner
104 Posts
I did have one smoker ride in my car since this thread, my dad.

Got rid of the smell by sprinkling the powdered carpet freshner on the rugs, then letting it sit for a few days.

Then also sprayed the seat backs with Stetson cologne.

Kept window open a lot when I drove.

Smell is NOT there anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts