Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooooooo , I have a SUPER dirty t100 engine bay , like this thing has probably Had an oil leak towards the front of the engine since like 2004. It is BAD. I cannot find any cleaning tips on super super oily/greasy engines , so I don’t even know where to begin. I am trying dawn dish soap and water with a brush right now but it is very difficult. Any help is appreciated check below for pictures vvvv

·
Registered
397 Posts
My truck had a leak like that but not that bad..... I used Simple Green or Purple Power. and a pressure washer to get the heavy stuff off and then for the detail work I used a steam cleaner with a diluted simple green solution because the heat of the steam does allot of the work on its own.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I just use the local car wash

·
7,766 Posts
Purple Powerengine degreaser is a starting point. Unfortunately, spray cans run out of spray very fast and it turns costly project to use them.
They sell same degreaser in liquid form. It's lots of brushing along with possibility of damaging wires and connectors while doing that.
Yes, there is option of going to car wash and starting with engine cleaner, then pressure washing it, then repeating for several cycles.
Something cautions me from using that approach on engine that neglected.
Pretty much, you need strong degreaser mix in a hand spray can, some place covered, where all that crap will not go into the ground, splitting engine bay into quadrants and working one at a time.
From what I recall, Purple Clean is rather pungent odor, so be prepared. It's quite irritant.
Otherwise, there are all kinds of cleaners available for professional use only but you will not have access to them.
Normally, kerosene is used as great cleaning agent for part. But, I'd not use on engine as it's flammable.
Lastly, there's Oven Cleaner.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Highlander XLE
4 Posts
Look for Superclean at Walmart or an auto parts store. Dilute it in a spray bottle. Spray on, let it dwell, use a brush to agitate, rinse, and repeat if needed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Toyota Camry SE 2.5
164 Posts
Whatever you use, (I would invest in several GALLONS of Simple Green Heavy Duty Degreaser). Forget applying it with a trigger spray bottle. You'll never get enough on, and your fingers will fall off. Get yourself one of those 1-1/4 gallon, pump up insecticide sprayers from Harbor Freight. They're less than $15 bucks, and they will put a lot more product down faster. Plus, with the long wand you won't have to be bending over so much. And you can reach into smaller areas to spray. Plan on soaking and rinsing several times. And be sure to do this on a COLD engine.

Stay away from high pressure washers, like the type at the self service car wash. They can and will push water into places you don't want it, like electrical connections. Just use a garden hose at city pressure with a good adjustable nozzle. This is what my engine looks like after 160,000 miles, on my 29 year old 1991 F-150 after doing what I just described. It works.

Simple Green 1 Gal. Heavy-Duty Cleaner and Degreaser Pressure Washer Concentrate-2300000118203 - The Home Depot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts