Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
98 Camry 2.2L

Bought a kenwood ksc-sw11 subwoofer and there is a blue/white “P. Cont” wire that I’m not sure what to do with. The instructions say to “connect it to the accessory line (ignition key switch ACC position line)” . . but I have no idea what this means.
Does anyone know how to go about this?

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
that's the continuous power lead that keeps the stations in memory and clock working even with the car turned off. it's needs constant power like is found on the acc position of the ignition switch. go to cruchfield.com and get a wiring harness for your car and radio combination and it'll be much easier to wire up.
tony

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't need a harness. I only need info on connecting the blue/white p.cont wire. I need to know where I can connect it.

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
You need to connect it to a wire that has power even with the ignition switch in the OFF position. On the OEM radio harness, it's a blue wire with red stripe, IIRC.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
i told you where to connect it to. did you not read my response thoroughly or did you not understand what constant/uninterrupted power means? that's why i said to get a harness. it connects to your car's existing harness and you don't have to cut into your existing wiring and take a chance on screwing something up digging around in the wires in the looms that are affected by a stereo install. 90% of that work has already been done by toyota for you and a 10 dollar interface harness does the rest. and you can put the old radio back when you sell it if the new owner doesn't like your taste in head units or you want to take your HU with you to the next car.

tony

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The blue/white wire is the turn on wire for your amp. It needs to be connected to a wire that has power when the key is in the accessory position. There will be one of these wires in your radio harness. I don't know the color but you should be able to find via an online search.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for replies. This pic shows my situation; the red x shows I do not have the connection for the blue/white wire on the back of my radio. (I have all other connections) The yellow is where i am stuck.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I have asked the wrong question and so I’ll try again. (communication is not one of my skills. LOL)
So far I have ALL the wires sorted out and know exactly where they go.
The only place I am confused is with the BLUE/WHITE wire that comes out of the sub. I cannot plug it into the back of my radio as there is no connection for it (on the radio) so I must use the other option (dotted line), which is to connect it to ACC line off of ignition key (I think).
So the question is, how can I access the ACC line to tap into it? . . or . .where do I look for it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Post #4 says “to connect it to a wire that has power even with the ignition switch in the OFF position.”

Instructions say “connect blue/white wire to accessory line (ignition key switch ACC position line)”

Which is it?

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
I interpreted “p-cont” in your opening post to mean continuous power (non-switched). Looking at the diagram you posted, it shows that wire hooked up thru the ignition switch, which will provide switched power. You should follow that.

I misread the wiring diagram in my post above. Blue w/ red stripe is switched power. That’s the one you want. Red w/ no stripe is always-on. Those are the wire colors at the old HU’s connector.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for replies. I finally got it installed between rainy days. All is well.

Also, I could use a set of speakers as my old ones (probably originals) don’t handle higher volume very well. I am looking at these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x7-3-Way-320W-Speakers-Enrock-50FT-Speaker-Wire-Kenwood-6-5-320W-Speakers/351983357683?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=20160908110712&meid=e7d8b512df7a482b92878e2eb9d7163b&pid=100677&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=173829584771&itm=351983357683&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

and wondering if anyone would recommend this set? . . . or can recommend something else?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
4 Participants
RickGP
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing