Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I always find some droppings between my 5SFE valve cover and exhaust manifold, together with some random leaves etc. I cleaned it up and it will come back after a while. Luckily, the rats didn't seem to make any other trouble for me. No nets in the airbox and no wire damage. So what should I do with them? Should I place something unpleasant to the where they prefer to stay, or just leave it along?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Toyota Camry LE Gallery Series J-VIN
4 Posts
Provided you don’t have small children or outdoor pets you care about roaming around the parking spot... a nice sweet Delicious tray of anti-freeze should put a stop to them... you don’t want them living in your engine bay. They may not be trouble now, but eventually they will get hungry and the air filter, hoses, and wire looms are gonna be there target...

·
Various Toyotas
4,262 Posts
They will eventually cause problems. I'd try to get rid of them if I was in this situation. A good rat is a dead rat...…..or one which volunteers for scientific experiments.

Reminds me of this crazy rat thread on TN a while back. A little weird and VERY graphic, but.....:

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I can try. Coolant might not work. The car is parked outside all the time. I cannot leave a tray of coolant there. Neighbors' cats are everywhere. Don't want anyone to get angry with me. Maybe I should just leave a healthy dose of chili pepper power there? It should not catch fire, right?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I take mouse and rat bait blocks and stick some behind the valve cover under a seat and in the trunk. I live in the woods and they are always around. One of my cars has the cellulose wiring in it so there are always a couple of blocks in the engine compartment of it as well.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
795 Posts
Recently I always find some droppings between my 5SFE valve cover and exhaust manifold, together with some random leaves etc. I cleaned it up and it will come back after a while. Luckily, the rats didn't seem to make any other trouble for me. No nets in the airbox and no wire damage. So what should I do with them? Should I place something unpleasant to the where they prefer to stay, or just leave it along?
Have you actually seen rats? I have the same situation and it's chipmunks. Finally put chicken wire in the air filter housing over where the air intake comes in to keep them out of there.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I just saw what they left behind. Since I used the car frequently, they probably didn't have a lot of time staying there. But I have never seen any chipmunks nearby. Could be small squirrel though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
I tie wire a mouse trap right on top of the battery, caught a few like that. Need to do that on the wife's car, as it's driven much less than mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts