Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have taken the used oil to Walmart, but how to deal with the used oil filter? Just throw it into the dustbin?

Thanks.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have the same question, too.... I always take my old oil to recycle center, but I don't know if oil filter can recycle.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,958 Posts
Most municipal recycle centers are recycling oil filters. Some states have mandated it. If not then maybe that's a good community project for you, get your local recycle to take filters. The oil haulers can usually recycle the filters as well so it not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Just let the oil drain out of it and toss it into garbage.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ werd

when my dad tried to throw them out at the hazardous waste disposal place along with the used oil and coolant, they told him to just throw it in the trash

·
Registered
582 Posts
If states can recycle old oil, then why not recycle old oil filter. A small drip of oil can harm the environment. Old oil filter is dangerous to landfill, and the internal aluminum part (filter) can be extracted or recycle for better used. I'll check my states to see if they do recycle old oil filter because I would be interested to heard how other dealers do recycle their old oil filter or just thrown away.

I know most dealerships do recycle their old oil, but I am not sure about old oil filter. A small drip of oil can kill natural resources. Natural resources will enventetly run out, and we need to think about recycle. Save our planet from hazarious waste that contamniate to our water stream.

Think recycle, now!!!!!

Please share your comments ...

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ Are you a member of PETA or support Al Gore?

·
Stock? Blasphemy!
06 Rav4 v6
879 Posts
all 3 different shops i worked at had an oil recycling company come in and pump out the used oil from the holding tanks, and also haul off all the used filters in sealed 55 gallon drums. Not sure what they did with them, but I would hope they were recycling the raw materials in them.

Autozone takes used oil but not the filters, and it seems like more places are taking only the oil and leaving you to figure out something with the filter. WHY? oil filters have all the nasty stuff in the filter material that is probably more hazardous than the oil itself!

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
10 Posts
I guess you could stick some firecrackers....AND BOOOMM!!!!!!!!!!!! Problem solved.

·
Engineer, tinkerer
1997 Camry
75 Posts
... oil filters have all the nasty stuff in the filter material that is probably more hazardous than the oil itself!...
How are tiny metal shards more harmful than oil? :confused:

Oh, I usually just trash mine, I never thought to recycle the filter!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Everyone can make a difference when it comes to recycle. If we do our part and the local governments do their part of bringing the recycle campaign, then the public knows better where it's proper to disposal their recycle waste such AAA batteries that you normally buy from local retail store.

If car batteries, old oil, carboards, plastic bottle, aluminum cans, and bottles can recycle, why the government can't recycle other

antifreeze cooling, oil filter, AAA batteries ...All these chemical are toxics enough to kill our environment.

When we hear the word recycle, we know plastic bottles, carboards, newspapers, magazines, and aluminum cans that can be recycle. I wish the local states make a stick campaign such other toxic can be recycled like

"antifreeze cooling, oil filter, AAA batteries (we buy and use our daily)" so people know more... For instance, why big corporations made toxic parts that can't take their share recycle...

As right now, I know candescent bulds can't recycle. those toxic leads land on our landfill. the big corporation made toxic parts, why not empower recycle program to save our planet for our grandchildren future.

I don't know if you can recycle candescent light bulds as the current recycle program ....

I guess this kind of recycle program does not bring big profit margin to our local states or big corporations.

Think smart and recycle!!!

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Thought many repair shops were crushing the filter in a filter press to get most to the oil out then recycled the metal.

·
Stock? Blasphemy!
06 Rav4 v6
879 Posts
How are tiny metal shards more harmful than oil? :confused:

Oh, I usually just trash mine, I never thought to recycle the filter!
some metals are, though there isn't much of those metals in used oil. aluminum or steel won't hurt the earth much, if at all. i'm thinking in terms of the solids that a filter collects - petroleum sludge particles, soot, and whatever chemicals form when you mix partially burned gas/oil mixture.

as for crushing the filters - they may do that at the place that hauls off the used filters, but i have never seen a shop crush the filters... well, only when it is required to get an overtightened filter OFF the car, but that's not with the intention of getting oil out of it!

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,958 Posts
some metals are, though there isn't much of those metals in used oil. aluminum or steel won't hurt the earth much, if at all.
The biggest contaminate other than the residual oil may be lead for which there is no safe level, especially for children. Landfill design has gotten pretty good but it's still not if they leak, but when. Another overlooked pollutant from landfills is the leachate. All landfills have to collect accumulated rain that leaches through the waste to the bottom which is pumped to holding tanks. The leachate is usually considered hazardous. In our county it's sent to the local wastwater handling plant which "treats" the waste then spreads the residual (sludge) on farmland. There are many contaminates in sludge that get washed off the farmland and into surface waters. That's why there is good evidence of pharmaceuticals in drinking water. What goes around comes around.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think local radios can empower where/what solid hazarous waste can take to recycle center. Why AutoZone and Advance store can recycle old oil, then why not oil filter? How much does is cost to save our planet from all these hazarous waste....

I hope some day the local governments wake up think...why we shouldn't start recycle oil filter early, then wait when we got so much hazardous waste on our landfills.

Now, we have a discussion green energy and recycle... This is the way to go, because we kept pump our $ to foreign oil.... Oil that we used in our car, pump out Co2... HOPEs!!! Solor panels is the way to go...generating electricity. RIGHT NOW, SOLOR PANELS IS OUT REACH!! COSTS IS THE FACTOR....
If we pay DON'T attention now, we will pay the effect of hazarous waste later.

Think smart and start recycle, now!!!

I try to recycle everything I can... Pepboy at my local AREA ran out of business for 2 years ago, so there is not a Pepboy at MYarea.

You guys know other auto parts store that recycle antifreeze and OLD oil filter

·
boo.hoo.hoo.
1,498 Posts
Drain the oil.
Place the used filter back into the box of the new filter.
Toss it in the trash and don't think anymore about it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts