Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I quickly skimmed the manual and I saw my car has an event data recorder, I am so pissed off right now that I never knew about this before buying the car. I don't really care about this thing helping me out if I get in an accident but my privacy is being taken away, which is more important to me.

This thing records things like... engine speed / RPM, Brake pedal pressure, vehicle speed, Accelerator pedal pressure, seat belts on or not, driver seat position, and other crap.

Any good car modifiers know how to fry this thing and where is it located?

Also did any hackers ever make a tool to read the data?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Well I quickly skimmed the manual and I saw my car has an event data recorder, I am so pissed off right now that I never knew about this before buying the car. I don't really care about this thing helping me out if I get in an accident but my privacy is being taken away, which is more important to me.

This thing records things like... engine speed / RPM, Brake pedal pressure, vehicle speed, Accelerator pedal pressure, seat belts on or not, driver seat position, and other crap.

Any good car modifiers know how to fry this thing and where is it located?

Also did any hackers ever make a tool to read the data?
as far i know you cannot disable that but i dont know the case with toyota cars. that is just like a hard disk and memory of your computer. your pc will not operate properly without those 2 components. sell your car quickly or bring it back to your dealership and tell them about your concerns.

·
First time Corolla owner
2009 Corolla
573 Posts
considering your paranoid, it probably is a dead giveaway that you don't want to just use this car as a daily driver....

·
First time Corolla owner
2009 Corolla
573 Posts
I am not a street racer or anything if thats what you mean.

I didn't necessarily mean that, I just meant that somethings up if you don't want a safety feature built into the car...

Not that it's a concern for me, you do as you want, but it just doesn't make sense to me... just my two cents

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I didn't necessarily mean that, I just meant that somethings up if you don't want a safety feature built into the car...

Not that it's a concern for me, you do as you want, but it just doesn't make sense to me... just my two cents
If I could I would disable the air bags in my car, I am always paranoid of how I sit in my car and try to make sure my chest is 1.5 to 2 feet away from the air bag because when the air bags do get activated, they explode in your face with whatever gunpowder is in there or whatever it is at almost the speed of light. It makes for uncomfortable driving like that because of it.

Never happened to me but that pisses me off also because supposedly if you are 8 inches away you can die. I like the variable stability, traction and abs that comes with the car, I should have the option of taking the risk of removing or disabling other things its my life and with this Data Recorder there is no safety there its only privacy invasion.

Same thing with those cameras on the street spying people eg. google street view, the policy today is if you got nothing to hide you should have nothing to worry about, if you do have a problem with it your guilty no matter what even if you do nothing wrong.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
I don't like the recorder either. Just remember this a few years from now when some moron comes into your lane and whacks you. However, the recorder shows you were 2 over the posted and they weren't so it's your fault for speeding.

BTW, I think greeno's about quoting what the Brits said to the colonists when searching their homes without warrants. If you've nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about. We know how that turned out!

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,035 Posts
LOL... such a funny thread. Man the Black Box is there and you can't do anything about it. Go buy a 1970's Corolla or something if you don't want it. You are SOL as EVERY CAR has it now. Just like how people who buy those GARMIN GPS units and register them to their names... they are traceable. Just live with it, and stop reading Nineteen Eighty Four

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Oh I know they're there and I'm not going nuts trying to disable it. Doesn't mean I think it should be there. Don't think there should be a speed limiter either but I'm not paying a few hundred to get it reprogrammed. We're the one's buying the car. We should have a choice of options. But we all have our opinions don't we? :D

·
Registered
09 mag. grey 5 speed
344 Posts
did you guys know there is a tiny camera built into the rearview mirror of the 2009 corolla? no kidding. if your cut the glass near the left side (closest to the steering wheel, you will see it) so, obviously somebody is watching us. so remember, no squeezie the chicken while you are driving.

..............lmfao....dont anybody do this (wreck your mirror, that is), please.

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,035 Posts
LOL

did you guys know there is a tiny camera built into the rearview mirror of the 2009 corolla? no kidding. if your cut the glass near the left side (closest to the steering wheel, you will see it) so, obviously somebody is watching us. so remember, no squeezie the chicken while you are driving.

..............lmfao....dont anybody do this (wreck your mirror, that is), please.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.